Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/09/2004 07:25 PM CST
Someone told me that CS was bad. I didn't listen. I am glad that magic was rewritten. I have my slot back. :-)

~ Mehathi

To anyone who might send something critical to me, this is my response:
I am sitting here in the smallest room in my house with your letter of criticism before me. Soon it will be behind me.
~ H.L. Mencken

Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/09/2004 08:48 PM CST
Held Mana spells for a ranger is a death trap we'll have to run to find an emapth every time because of the nerve damage. Rangers are dependent on magic to try to equalize on some shortcomings. Suggest you re-examine those two spells CS and BES, they are two of the most underutilized spells in the ranger book.

Nimmo "Cabana Boy"

Nimmo brings his cupped hand forward and pulls it back, holds a flat palm above his eyes and then brings his cupped hand forward and pulls it back.
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/09/2004 09:16 PM CST
I am not sure about everyone else, but in their current state, I consider Bear Strength and Cheetah Swiftness to be even less useful than Compost (Compost is a prerequisite to Branch Break, making it slightly important) and Plague of Scavengers (really how often could we make use of this hunting, even though it's our spell with the most prerequisites). As they are, I would NEVER consider getting Bear Strength or Cheetah Swiftness. I would of course like to know what happened to those 11 approved spells we were supposed to have coming, but that's a debate for another day.

Lieutenant Xelten Tyrsin
Tribunal Dragoons
Aesry Surlaenis'a

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." --Harry S. Truman

Fengreve says, "Grishnok pops up, cops an attitude and Dritz webs him, then promptly drops a tree on his face."
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/10/2004 05:47 AM CST
Please fix these spells or wipe them entirely.

Thanks,

~Dulcinia

Bractos: I have a whole new appreciation for this all female regiment thing now.

Allurana asks, "Does this mean we get to kill men now?"
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/10/2004 02:22 PM CST
And just so you know, Rigby, we asked Paklin at the Con and he said it was yours to deal with so we should bring it here.

Only one of the two I ever use is BeS and even then I only cast it (with about 50 or 60 held), hold it long enough to get the stamina boost, then release the mana before my nerves fry (stamina boost lingers until I get hit, buys me a bit of time if I need it).

Make them upper-tier duration spells instead, they would be a LOT more useful.

And while you're tweaking, please make GRIZ allowed to be self-cast so we can break out of webs when there's nothing at melee range (or even in the room that we can see) to target it?

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/13/2004 02:30 AM CST
I would like to suggest that spells like BES and CS become a 'gulping' spell instead of a held mana spell.

For example: We would prep the spell and cast it. Once in effect, lets say it only lasts about 30 seconds at no bonus or a minimal bonus to us until we harness mana. Lets say that we choose to harness 40 mana. The harnessing process, right now as the system stands, takes 3 seconds. Perhaps after about 7 seconds, the mana would be swallowed into the spell leaving you with ~0 held mana~ and the effects of the spell increased. We actually saw a portion of this in the old magic system when we ~added~ mana after our original harness, and I would like to see this ability to feed the active spell stay with us. Those are the trademarks of those spells in my opinion.

As for the negative effects of it: Perhaps if we harness too much(by feeding the active spell), we will start feeling queasy and begin to get a stomach ache giving us an internal abdomen bleeder.

Another idea, but perhaps more far fetched, is creating a verb called DIVERT which will allow us to divert mana into a particular spell giving us the choice of which spell to introduce our held mana into. As a side effect of DIVERT, I was thinking a small portion of fatigue should be used, but maybe a diversion pool could be made instead having only a certain amount of diversion in an alloted period of time.

Not only would this solve our problems with the held mana spells, but it would help keep the uniqueness of those spells.

Muely
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/14/2004 01:30 PM CST
Please change these held-mana spells into duration type spells. (Then I can cross this off my list and start complaining about Swarm. ;)

Folcwyn

P.S. To give the above some clarification: Because of the CERTAINTY of nerve-damage, and the REQUIREMENT of having to have an Empath available (not always practical in Ranger stomping grounds) I will never choose these spells.
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/14/2004 05:04 PM CST
I agree. In their current form, these spells, to me, are worthless.

~Dulcinia

Bractos: I have a whole new appreciation for this all female regiment thing now.

Allurana asks, "Does this mean we get to kill men now?"
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/15/2004 06:50 AM CST
I have decided to completely ignore those paths as well, because they are held mana. a change would be wonderful.

Jalika
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/15/2004 08:42 AM CST
>>I have decided to completely ignore those paths as well, because they are held mana. a change would be wonderful.<<

My sentiments exactly.
Shinumo
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/15/2004 10:02 AM CST
I'd love to hear from someone who actually finds these spells to be useful and is not regretting the spell slot they used. Does anyone use BES or CS on a regular basis and hold the spells for any length of time?

~ Mehathi

I am sitting here in the smallest room in my house with your letter of criticism before me. Soon it will be behind me.
~ H.L. Mencken

Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/15/2004 11:05 AM CST
<<I'd love to hear from someone who actually finds these spells to be useful and is not regretting the spell slot they used. >>

You won't, heh.

Teesha

"Now don't be greedy, Marge. Remember, it's uterus not uteryou."
-Homer Simpson
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/15/2004 11:18 AM CST
<<I'd love to hear from someone who actually finds these spells to be useful and is not regretting the spell slot they used. >>

I would love to take them as spells, Pep's melee prime and any chance to get a quick burst of strength and speed to clear a swarm would be awesome. Plus, anything that can help Pep pretend he's an animal is bonus points.

Yet, I won't get held mana spells. I train magic pretty well, but sheesh I hear nothing but horror stories. And I fry my nerves enough as it is, when I am pushing my casts.

I am Pep-tog.
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/15/2004 11:47 AM CST
<<You won't, heh.>>

Yeah, I doubted that I would. :-)

~ Mehathi

~ H.L. Mencken

Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/15/2004 12:45 PM CST
Aye, me to Jalika. I'll never get BS or Cs because of the certainity that I will get nerve damage if I use the two spells. If they were a duration cast I might consider. But, not the way the two spells are now.

Bluefalcon
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/15/2004 01:20 PM CST
No ranger I know of wants these mana held spells, so why don't we get rid of them so we can get back to complaining about compost and how bad swarm is now? Where are all those ranger spells that were in the makings and where the heck is Awaken Forest? Ah, must be the freeze! <Gives the GMs a big bear hug for taking all the harrasment!>

Naturn, who has all the spells except mana held, yet has 5 empty spell slots!

Pleasure pause

Pleasure pause

Pleasure pause

Pleasure pause
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/20/2004 07:11 AM CST
I passed up BB and got CS as my last spell. I was excited that I had a new spell and couldn't wait to use it. Fried my nerves(thank god for my 35th empath slave). Same thing over and over. What useless crap. It would be incredible if you made them duration spells. You could even make them very hard to cast as long as they aren't held mana. 5 prep max at 200 PM would be much better than held mana.

-Caladorn
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/20/2004 07:20 AM CST
I've seen a lot of complaints about held mana spells over here ... while I'm not suggesting they're not total crap, I do have a way to make them less painful.

Based on available mana in the room you're in, harness in small enough increments to minimally impact your attunement. In other words, if you need to hold 40 mana, find the best mana room you can and harness it 5 at a time. The less you make that little ASCII bar move the less impact it will have on your nerves. Once you have it actually harnessed I've never been able to determine that the mana in the room mattered at all but actually harnessing it up makes a big difference.

Passionata
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/20/2004 09:25 AM CST
>>Once you have it actually harnessed I've never been able to determine that the mana in the room mattered at all but actually harnessing it up makes a big difference.<<

In my experience, your slippage depends entirely on your attunement, nervous system health, and Harness ranks. You're right, if actual mana available is a factor it's a mighty small one.

Though I'm assuming for the sake of sanity that these complaints are /w staggered harnessing. Anyone who tries to harness in chunks of 40 without very impressive skill levels (speaking from the Mage bias, not Magic Tert one) deserves whatever pain comes their way.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/20/2004 12:03 PM CST
<Based on available mana in the room you're in, harness in small enough increments to minimally impact your attunement. In other words, if you need to hold 40 mana, find the best mana room you can and harness it 5 at a time. The less you make that little ASCII bar move the less impact it will have on your nerves. Once you have it actually harnessed I've never been able to determine that the mana in the room mattered at all but actually harnessing it up makes a big difference.>

This works in theory and if you can stay in that one room, but in my experience rangers stalk critters and for other reasons move from room to room when hunting. It just takes passing through a room with no mana to impact this. Harnessing also has a round time so the more times you harness the more time you spend in round time. Round time effects many things especially if you are a bow user. There are simply too many drawbacks to make mana held spells viable enough to be desirable.

Naturn
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/21/2004 01:35 PM CST
>>Mehathi>>I'd love to hear from someone who actually finds these spells to be useful and is not regretting the spell slot they used

<raises his hand>

>>Teesha>>You won't, heh.

BUZZ! Thank you for playing. :-P

I've said it before, I'll say it again: harness 60 mana, cast BeS, wait for stamina boost to kick in (can take 5-10 seconds) then release the mana. Lose the strength boost, retain the stamina boost and be "Incredibly full of strength" indefinately ... it lasts until you get hit and it gets taken away. It helps my hunting to have that extra padding to my stamina, it's meant the difference between living and dying on several occasions.

I would still vote for them being changed to duration spells, however. I'd actually start using CS if that were the case. Either that or keep them held-mana but make them like RF: a go-nogo where holding 5 mana is suficient to keep them up and the boost is based on PM, not amount of mana held.

Finally, I would like BeS to counter any ill efects of spirit being less than full. Then I might actually enjoy some of our beseeches a bit more. I could use BeS so that any gain I get from the beseech isn't lost by the penalties caused by spirit being less than full. <mutter> Though hopefully it sounds like Paklin is open to the idea of changing beseeches to use something other than spirit. <crosses his fingers>

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/21/2004 01:47 PM CST
<<<raises his hand>>>

You might be the only one.

<<<<I've said it before, I'll say it again: harness 60 mana, cast BeS, wait for stamina boost to kick in (can take 5-10 seconds) then release the mana. Lose the strength boost, retain the stamina boost and be "Incredibly full of strength" indefinately ... it lasts until you get hit and it gets taken away.>>>

This is a bug, if I recall. They already fixed it with Courage as I remember. Bear dance and BES have it too, and I bet thats fixed someday... the extra stam was only supposed to last while the effect was active, was the reasoning for the change as I recall.

<<I would still vote for them being changed to duration spells, >>

You arent the only one here. These things need help, they suck, at least they used to teach good.

Thanks for reading
~Sammee
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/21/2004 02:11 PM CST
<<I've said it before, I'll say it again: harness 60 mana, cast BeS, wait for stamina boost to kick in (can take 5-10 seconds) then release the mana.>>

I thought I sad something like "for any length of time". What I meant by that is aside from the stamina boost. That was kinda neat when I had it, but not enough for me to use the spell slot. If I didn't say that, oh well. You guys should know what I meant even if I didn't say it! Yeth.

~ Mehathi

~ H.L. Mencken

Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/21/2004 02:12 PM CST
<<This is a bug, if I recall. They already fixed it with Courage as I remember. Bear dance and BES have it too, and I bet thats fixed someday... the extra stam was only supposed to last while the effect was active, was the reasoning for the change as I recall.>>

Heh lovely. The only useful (in my mind) aspect of BES is a bug.

~ Mehathi

~ H.L. Mencken

Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/21/2004 04:31 PM CST
>>Either that or keep them held-mana but make them like RF: a go-nogo where holding 5 mana is suficient to keep them up and the boost is based on PM, not amount of mana held.<<

Since the recent posts about invisibility included "quality of invisibility," and talk about mana put into it, I expect RF to become more like BES/CS rather than the other way around.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: Held mana BES/CS 02/22/2004 02:04 AM CST
actually what would make CS useful is if the bonus didn't immediatly fade as soon as the spell ended, sorta like 3 seconds after you release the effect fades

what will this do?

well it'll cause the SvA spells to get the boost from CS thus increase their power, which would make them even deadlier then they are now.

--The light is blinding and purges all in its path, leaving only shadows behind, but long after the light has dwindled the shadows will remain to rise and swallow the ruins in darkness
Re: Held mana BES/CS 04/26/2004 02:29 AM CDT
Hey, not even most EMPATHS like using held mana spells. Which means that unless an empath has high-degree expert skills in magic, you won't hear many of them singing the praises of Regeneration and Aesandry Darlaeth. REG and AD tend to be the most underused spells for us, and the reason why is all that darned twitching.

And of course, you can't heal the nerve damage without releasing the spell. And if you still have too much harnessed, then bzzzzzzamp go the nerves some more.

Amagaim; the bzzzzzzamp of,

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
---Unknown Author, Usenet
Re: Held mana BES/CS 05/04/2004 12:32 PM CDT
>REG and AD tend to be the most underused spells for us, and the reason why is all that darned twitching. Amagaim

Since you can't even get Regen until you have HW and HS - by the time you do get it, I'd call it far from underused by most Empaths.
AD I use a lot, and Regen and AD together a lot. I'd say it's more what we get used to, as I rarely (maybe 6 times) in my life used BS. Go figure.

Sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Xochi
Solomon: "2004: Year of the Lores"
Re: Held mana BES/CS 05/04/2004 10:18 PM CDT
Xochi,

I both agree and disagree with you at the same time.

Can you make the room stop spinning for me?

Illcram the Evil Empath

I*'*m an Empath and you can*'*t touch me!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms