Held mana Spells 02/08/2004 10:51 AM CST
Rigby, any chance you can look at making Ranger Held mana spells (Bear Strength and Cheetah Swiftness) to be a duration cast instead?

To make the spells effective we need to hold a lot of mana. I think Dritzfurry posted a while back to increase either strenght or agility by 5 you need to hold like 50 mana. That's a lot for a tertiary magic guild, and if you're not in a glowing room it gives you nerve damage. Especailly since there's not an herb that helps general nerve damage.

Bluefalcon
Re: Held mana Spells 02/09/2004 01:06 PM CST
I agree wholeheartedly with these thoughts on held mana spells. They prevent you from using other spells, they cause massive nerve damage to get any noticeable effect, the damage caused by your own mana is unhealable except by empath (of which 90% of them are in town), and they can only be held for any duration at all in the best of mana rooms. Also, if you have one on you and you stalk a critter, and the critter moves to a cold mana room it's like you just got hit by lightning...your nerves get so messed up it's incredible.

Halve the mana-benefit ratio, but make them duration and I guarantee you see a thousand times as many usages of it. Or you can keep the mana-benefit ratio the same and you can put the duration at 5 minutes (which is still probably 3x longer than anyone can channel 60 mana around them).

They just need work, and they need it bad. We already have a huge gap of no spells at all, but the spells we do have just aren't functioning acceptably.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.
Re: Ranger Held mana Spells 02/09/2004 01:12 PM CST
BES and CS right now are not good spell choices. The penalties for using them far outweigh their advantages.

To get a significant benefit one must harness alot of mana. That is not something one does while fighting as the trhee second rt's while getting beat on are bad calls. That means you cast it in advance find combat take nerve damage, forsake using anything but other held mana spells. End up with uncontrollable twitching etc...

The other factor is that held mana spells which require so much held mana are only theoretically usuable at high level. While extra strength does mean extra damage the fact is we all have already generally achieved min rt's on our weapons. And I can get far more extra damage from a well timed web or BB if it works in the area.

I'm one ranger that will never waste a spell slot on either of these spells as currently implemented.

Arrys
Re: Held mana Spells 02/09/2004 01:17 PM CST
I have 5 spell slots open and I have every ranger spell except 2. Those two are mana held spells, cs and bes. These 2 spells are simply not worth the nerve damage. My request is just get rid of the mana held part and make them like the other spells. With the other spells I still end up with enough nerve damage to have to get my nerves healed regularly. I would get and use them if they were reasonable to use.

Thanks,

Naturn

Beseech the gms to release Awaken Forest
Re: Held mana Spells 02/09/2004 06:46 PM CST
I have to agree here. Though I'd dearly love to have BES, I will not get it as long as it is held mana spell. To my reasoning, there was no reason what so ever to makes these held mana spells. Yes the extra umph you get when you add mana to the spell is awesome, but the extra umph you get when you have enough PM to feed more mana into SoTT is simply awesome too. I don't see why BES and CS can not be like SoTT or the majority of our other spells. Held mana spells simply are wrong for a Tert magic guild, we are not Ranger moonies. And as has been pointed out, I manage to get enough nerve damage casting the spells we do have that are not held mana.;-) .

Please, please, make them like SoTT or something.

Be well

>Motarra