Swarm 12/08/2002 04:43 PM CST
Well, 35-mana casts of swarm will kill nightreavers (see some corpse descriptions below), generally after stunning them a few times and usually (but not always) just after the hornets leave.

Like others who have posted, I cannot seem to get more than 35 into a cast without backfiring.

--Elvena, who'll wait for less fog to try swarm on nightstalkers

You see a nightreaver unyn (dead).
The nightreaver unyn has a badly bruised and swollen head compounded by cuts and bruises about the head, cuts and bruises about the neck, cuts and bruises about the right leg, cuts and bruises about the left leg, tiny scratches to the chest, cuts and bruises about the abdomen.
The nightreaver unyn is bleeding with discoloration in the head.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

The nightreaver unyn has cuts and bruises about the neck, cuts and bruises about the right leg, a severely swollen and deeply bruised left leg compounded by cuts and bruises about the left leg, cuts and bruises about the chest area, cuts and bruises about the abdomen.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

The nightreaver unyn has cuts and bruises about the head, cuts and bruises about the right leg, minor swelling and bruising around the left leg compounded by deep cuts across the left leg, cuts and bruises about the chest area.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!
Suggestion for Swarm 12/08/2002 04:48 PM CST
Okay, I think I've come up with a solution that will make swarm a much more useful and versitle tool.

Allow for a self cast at higher PM (200-250) that keeps the swarm localized around the ranger, stinging everything within melee range. This would help fit the role of a true distraction/hindering spell.

As for the hornets not stinging the caster, this could either be because of expert manipulation of the swarm through skill, or possibly require an SOP on the casting ranger.

I yeild 10 pulses from the cap of 35 mana, and the 45 seconds it lasts just doesn't seem like much. It provides minimal vitality damage and poison, and it's main function seems to just be to distract/knock off balance. As such, it would be a more helpful distraction spell if there were more pulses and a longer duration inbetween pulses. Total time of 90 seconds and 15 pulse would be better.

As for a self cast, for it to be really useful, there would probably need to be even more hornet pulses total, but less per target. Figure 35 mana cast should net 20 total hits randomly (or evenly if possible?) distributed among melee critters over 90 seconds.

Dritz
Re: Swarm 12/08/2002 07:33 PM CST
Okay, swarm cast at 35 on a nightstalker will kill the stalker after the second casting (before the hornets leave on their own).

For those Rangers who use/enjoy offensive magic, this would seem to me to be a pretty powerful spell choice.

--Elvena

ex:
The hornets buzz angrily over a nightstalker unyn's corpse, then fly away.
>lo un

You see a nightstalker unyn (dead).
The nightstalker unyn has cuts and bruises about the head, cuts and bruises about the right leg, faint scuffing to the left leg, a severely swollen and deeply bruised chest area with odd protrusions under the skin, severely swollen and bruised abdomen.
The nightstalker unyn is bleeding with discoloration in the abdomen.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!
Re: Swarm thoughts? 12/08/2002 08:52 PM CST
After much trepidation, tested it out.
At first I was going to say I absolutely hated it, now I just merely dislike it. This went from a spell I couldn't wait to get to one I'm not sure I'll even get now if it doesn't change, unless I have the spell slot unused.

Preps between 10 and 22 (my max) on marauders and wood trolls (130 magic).
Anything less than 20 didn't seem to do much on them (took them to battered or slightly battered).
22 preps did kill a couple of them after the spell finished (poison) (but not enough for IMO for the).

Have yet to try it at something at my level. I'm afraid the results will be more dismal.

Takes to much mana to do significant damage. Takes too long for the damage to be helpful. Also, I don't see the balance knock-off all that great.. took mara's from incredible to nimbly.

Absolutely hate the fact that it took the area cast away:
You also see a gypsy marauder, a gypsy marauder, a gypsy marauder, a gypsy marauder, a gypsy marauder, a gypsy marauder, a gypsy marauder, some bronze coins, a gypsy marauder, a gypsy marauder, a wood troll, a wood troll

I don't want an uber kill 'em all spell, but sure would be nice to weaken a bunch of things at once.

Of the four offensive spells now, I feel that only HB is worth its weight.
Preps of 15/20+ for BB are doing light hits on creatures well below me. Grizzly Claw, 'nuff been said about that. And now swarm, while does have some pop to it, just needs too much magic for what it does IMO. Maybe good if fighting one Hard critter that's abover your level to even things out a bit.

The guild has done an absolute awesome job on defensive/helper spells. I guess that's the direction they want us to be going and where I'll be leaning.

~Tanshar
Re: Swarm 12/08/2002 09:32 PM CST
Elvena,

Have you tried casting once on one, and waiting for about 30-60 seconds after the swarm leaves to see if it will die from one cast? (This is hit or miss for me, below the level you're at. Sometimes I get one-cast kills, sometimes not.)

Folcwyn
Re: Swarm 12/09/2002 07:44 AM CST
<<Elvena,

Have you tried casting once on one, and waiting for about 30-60 seconds after the swarm leaves to see if it will die from one cast? (This is hit or miss for me, below the level you're at. Sometimes I get one-cast kills, sometimes not.)

Folcwyn>>

Hmmm, actually, no, I haven't. I just get bored of standing around waiting for them to die and once the swarm leaves, I've just cast again.
; )

I'll try it next time I have a chance to hunt. : )

--El
Re: Suggestion for Swarm 12/09/2002 09:40 AM CST
>Allow for a self cast at higher PM (200-250) that keeps the swarm localized around the ranger, stinging everything within melee range. This would help fit the role of a true distraction/hindering spell.

Great idea. Role playing wise, it makes much more sense to be, in a way 'protected' by hornets than to be able to aim them at other creatures. Have you ever tried to keep a hornet as a pet? They just dont listen... Think of a nest and how they all just circle it and lash out against anything that gets too close.

Ciek
Re: Swarm thoughts? 12/09/2002 09:42 PM CST
<<Preps of 15/20+ for BB are doing light hits on creatures well below me.>.

I absolutely crush anything at my level if I drop trees on them (kill poloh'izh in one cast if I hit a critical body part). It's a very powerful, but also fairly limited spell.

Dritz
Swarm and Balance 12/10/2002 12:02 AM CST
Any chance of the swarm sticking around longer to cause more loss of balance? I really like Dritz's idea for self casting the spell and causing the confusion for critter's at melee.
Re: Swarm thoughts? 12/10/2002 12:04 AM CST
OK.

Definitely not what it once was and not as good as BB or HB for me.

Effect seems highly variable at my skill best result a 20 mana kill on a leucro shortly after the spell wore off. Most damaging results seem to come when target is in a bad defensive position grappled and circled target leucros to completely off balance. One kill in 3 attempts of 20 mana.

Stun effect nice but I'm sure is limited to stunnable critters.

maybe I just miss the old swarm but basic testing puts this offensive spell as our weakest. The balance tag team of it and BB might on occasion prove valuable. Pulsing effect may prove valuable on weakened and dying enemies. Unresolved questions remain about how it may decrease the combat performance of the target beyond just balance. If not I'm not sure I can justify the mana use to effectiveness level of the spell. Unless effectiveness is that it can be cast more places than our other offensive spells which despite mana usage might make it worthwhile to have.

BB took a 10 mana cast to kill a similarly prepared leucro. 20 Mana BB does them outright no preperation. 20 mana swarm on a full balanced target was light scrapings on 4-5 location on average.

HB sometimes kills sometimes doesnt but the threat is completely eliminated for a good amount of time.

Fast Killing spell BB has that.
Best eliminate threat of enemy spell HB

Swarm may fit the gap of best utility combat spell if it works in a majority of areas and can have some impact on more critters than the others.

Arrys
Re: Swarm thoughts? 12/10/2002 12:36 AM CST
<<but basic testing puts this offensive spell as our weakest.

:::cough:::GRIZ:::cough::: ;)

Actually, I like what swarm is capable of. HB is still the best, hands down, but I'm killing more often with swarm than I am with BB, no comparison.

150's in Magic, one cast of swarm @25 will kill Marauders dead. (You have to wait a bit, but they die.) 25 BB against a Marauder usually makes for an annoyed Marauder. BB seems VERY random, swarm seems much more consistent.

Now, my opinion may change as my viewpoint does (ie as I get to the levels that you folks are at) but right now, casting it "at level" for my magic skills, it seems effective. I just wish I could see the poison. (Sometimes I can't even see the evidence after they're dead.)

Folcwyn
Re: Swarm thoughts? 12/10/2002 06:20 AM CST
I like to refer to it as Sissy Claws Folcwyn. Seems to much more appropriate then grizzly claws.

Thanks,
Dread
Re: Swarm thoughts? 12/10/2002 06:32 AM CST
<<I like to refer to it as Sissy Claws Folcwyn. Seems to much more appropriate then grizzly claws.
<<Thanks,
<<Dread

Woo-hoo! I'm famous! I have my own spell! :) Now if I only had the skills to cast it.... :::sigh:::

Folcwyn
Re: Swarm thoughts? 12/10/2002 08:09 AM CST
This seems to be the breakdown I'm getting on stings pre mana on strait out preps. Harnessing doesn't quite fit and is leaking without giving messaging or something to that effect.

stings/prep
01 at 08 12 at 35
02 at 10 13 at 38
03 at 13
04 at 15
05 at 18
06 at 20
07 at 23
08 at 25
09 at 28
10 at 30
11 at 33

Thanks,
Dread
Re: Swarm thoughts? 12/10/2002 08:14 AM CST
Sorry, I didn't mean to get your hopes up Folc
Re: Swarm thoughts? 12/10/2002 12:21 PM CST
>Actually, I like what swarm is capable of. HB is still the best, hands down, but I'm killing more often with swarm than I am with BB, no comparison.

well BB has that whole wait for tree to grow timer delay. I put three 30 mana casts of swarm on a geni I was half dancing with half killing. It lived. I drop a 30 mana BB on one I'm half dancing with half killing and it goes dead instantly. Drop a 20 mana on another it gets knocked down and I remove it's head. Of course there is a long delay between casts the downside for that efficiency and I can't argue that swarms balance reduction between killing casts aids me defensively and offensively. Just hard to quantify. Drop a 10 mana BB on an off balance leucro dead. 20 mana casts of swarm killed once of three attempts and on an on balance leucro two 25's and a 10 failed to result in the death of an on balance leucro. thats 60 mana and several minutes of time.

>150's in Magic, one cast of swarm @25 will kill Marauders dead. (You have to wait a bit, but they die.) 25 BB against a Marauder usually makes for an annoyed Marauder. BB seems VERY random, swarm seems much more consistent.

I'm only 51st circle with 3.5 ranks of PM per level. By no means a magic god.

I personally am wondering if the preferences people are expressing are based on stat/skill variation. From the messaging I could easily see swarm have a high charisma or AL component. I'm somewhat weak on charisma but improving and pitiful on animal lore.

I'll fully test swarm in adan'f as they are harder to hit than geni's for me and see how much of an advantage the long term balance reduction is in dispatching them quickly.

I stand corrected on grizzly claw being the worst offensive spell however it does provide that limited web escapability.

Arrys
Re: Swarm thoughts? 12/10/2002 05:18 PM CST
swarm is more magic based while BB is stat based those with better stats will do much more damage with BB those who practiced alot of magic would do better with swarm

the low magic-very agile rangers would do more with a BB then a swarm
Re: Swarm thoughts? 12/10/2002 06:09 PM CST
Yeah, im a high stat low magic ranger so Swarm isnt making me real happy, although I am very pleased with BB.

Id like to see swarm become stackable, that would really jump its position upward in my catalog of must-have spells.

Piex

I'm going to be so rich when I invent a device that lets you stab someone in the face over the internet.
Re: Suggestion for Swarm 12/15/2002 04:03 PM CST
>>Allow for a self cast at higher PM (200-250) that keeps the swarm localized around the ranger, stinging everything within melee range. This would help fit the role of a true distraction/hindering spell.

>>Ciek>>Great idea. Role playing wise, it makes much more sense to be, in a way 'protected' by hornets than to be able to aim them at other creatures. Have you ever tried to keep a hornet as a pet? They just dont listen... Think of a nest and how they all just circle it and lash out against anything that gets too close.

I like this idea too. I am a proponent of Ranger magic being like nature itself ... terrible to behold in its power and uncontrollable by the one who summoned it. I once equated it to blowing up a dam. Doesn't take much to set the explosives and the power of the water will wipe out even a medium-sized city. But if the one who set the charges doesn't get out of the way, it will wipe them out too.

The forces of nature in general should be treated more like that in DR. Awesome in power, but gods help whoever get in the way, including the summoner.

So along those lines, I would say it would follow more than just those who reached melee. If anyone hugged, kissed, licked, rubbed ... any verb which involved contact ... the caster, they would first get a warning that they would be sticking themselves into a cloud of enraged stinging hornets. Then, if they do it again, they succeed ... and get stung as a result. Until the spell wears off.

I would LOVE that.

Then we go the extra mile, include the "don't get in the way once summoned" effect. The Ranger who cast it must keep up a SoP lest they get stung themselves. The hornets are attacking anything within their area, and you are standing right smack dab IN it. The SoP drops, you start getting stung repeatedly until you either reestablish the SoP or the hornets disperse.

<drool>

I better stop there. Not holding my breath we'll ever see it but damn ... they do that and I might actually take the spell.

~~~Krin
What the... stupid weird *feature* with Swarm 02/03/2003 04:35 AM CST
If you cast swarm at a fairly low mana against umm. well, undead...

IT NEVER GOES AWAY.

And it even says it wont go away, heh:

The hornets continue their incessant attack upon a seordhevor kartais!

Yes, absolutely incessant, unless you kill the critter.

My buddy and I were training escaping and parry in there, and he cast a low mana swarm on it... which lasted, no joke, 8 minutes until we couldnt stand the scroll anymore and killed that kartais.

What exactly is the point of this? They do no damage, and they wont lose interest.

Piex
Re: What the... stupid weird *feature* with Swarm 02/09/2003 07:23 PM CST
Did you happen to cast SOP on it as well? I noticed that the swarm will not die down as long as SOP is still in effect on a critter or person.

Muely
Re: What the... stupid weird *feature* with Swarm 02/10/2003 07:16 PM CST
no, no bubble bouncing.

Piex
Swarm bug... 07/14/2003 03:05 PM CDT
[Oshu'ehhrsk Manor, Grand Hallway]
A pyramidal mass hangs from the ceiling by a rusting length of chain, swaying gently. Strands of webbing drape from the masked form, dangling directly above the center of an odd circular pattern in the marble floor. The stonework is limited to this immediate entryway, and is usurped by a wooden floor to either side of the hall -- not that this transition is easy to see, due to the large amounts of dust and refuse that cover the floor. You also see a swarm of angry hornets, a seordhevor kartais that is flying around, an old wooden door, and a cracked mahogany archway.
Obvious exits: east, west.
>
A seordhevor kartais swirls in the air, turning its gaze slowly about the area.
>
The spell pattern collapses at the last moment due to its undead state.
>
With insectoid zeal, a seordhevor kartais flaps its wings.
>
>
* A seordhevor kartais snaps with teeth-like mandibles at you. You evade.
[You're solidly balanced and have slight advantage.]
>
>
* A seordhevor kartais snaps with teeth-like mandibles at you. You slap away the teeth with an acid-etched reinforced cinquedea.
[You're solidly balanced with opponent in better position.]
>

This happened until the thing died, plus it appears that the swarm was tanking it's balance as well.

Basically, this combined with the SOP bug make swarm too buggy to be any use to a ranger.

-Kaun
Swarm 11/26/2008 10:14 AM CST
Swarm in a nut shell, my own thoughts.
I switched from thief guild to rangers in 99ish? Newho, the swarm spell used to be one of my favorites when I first made Jeincains. You could direct cast it, and it would givem eye damage, skin damage, and stun the everliving crap outta the critter/pc. If you open cast it hit everybody.

in 02-03 Jent and team Changed it, to a swarm that followed around an gave poison ect. It was a fun spell, but it required alot of mana, so I rarely used it.

Now? What is Swarm now? I cant tell. Ive pumped all kinds of crazy mana into this spell against everything even goblins. It barely knocks them off balance, and the hiding affect isnt very much. Only thing Ive noticed thats good is the rt it gives the swarmed.

I really feel like you guys neutered this spell and basically put nothing into it. Get mad, think ima jerk. Go you, but the magic team destroyed this spell. It has no messaging, it does nothing. Even with 400+ magic its garbage. This spell needs to be fixed, It deserves the stunning potential which would help rangers tank more. Also messaging while its in use would be great to.

If not, just can the spell. Its currently a waste of a spell slot, along with Grizzly Claw, Awaken Forest, and Forestwalker's Boon. Grizzly Claw really urks me cuz its useless an its in the way of me having BS. It was useful back when webz lastd longer then 5seconds.

Thats my opinion an toned down aggravation.

Jeincains Rakash Ranger

~What can ya say to a Ranger with over 100 in all blades/blunts/bows/thrown?~
Re: Swarm 11/28/2008 01:42 PM CST
<hugs>

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Swarm 11/29/2008 09:06 AM CST
It would be nice if it could do more than it currently does. I don't expect it to do damage or poison anymore but what it actually does now seems to be very lil.
Messaging and different insects that do different things would be nice.
examples cast gnats could interfer with perception as well as causing round time.
cast mosquitos could cause penalties to hiding and stalking as well as causing round time.
cast bees could lower concentration effecting spell casting as well as round time
cast wasps stun multiple targets for a very short duration
cast moths lowers the effects of target magic spells cast by those under the effects of it and causes round time.
cast centepedes throws targets off balance
cast spiders/scorpions causes nerve damage (okay I know some will say but this is damage we cannot have that there are other spells that are not target magic based that cause nerve damage.

I cannot think of any good messaging right now to go with these offhand maybe I will post something later.

Celitha
Re: Swarm 11/29/2008 09:54 AM CST
Okay thought of something:

cast gnats messaging tens of thousands of nearly invisible winged pests arrive in a thick cloud of gray. They begin to swarm around the heads of the victims seeking moisture especially focusing on the eyes ears and noses of the critters/people. obscuring their view and dulling their senses.

cast mosquitos a cloud of hungry female mosquitos arrive from the trees and shrubbery. They seek the warm blood of the helpless victims to nourish the next generation of insect pests. The victims flail about scratching and waving their arms as the slender winged insects bite. The victims cannot hide from the tiny blood suckers as they sense their rich warm blood and perspirations.

cast bees messaging several hundred bees arrive from nearby hives at the call of the Ranger. In a flash of golds , bright yellows and jet blacks they begin buzzing around the victims loudly. They find it difficult to focus and concentrate.

cast wasps messaging large dark winged wasps arrive by the hundreds. Flashing with bright orange markings in contrast to the night black of their bodies. The light glints off of their stingers. They begin viciously stinging the victims causing them to be stunned for several seconds before gasping and regaining their composure.

cast moths a swarm of dusky and pale hued moths arrive by the hundreds flapping their wings and seeking out any available light source. They are drawn instinctively to some types of magical matrixes. They flutter about making aiming and finding a target difficult for the victim. (this may require it be night or darkness of a stormy day at least as well)

cast centipedes hundreds of centipedes crawl out from the shadows of the grass and underbrush. They seek to out the victims sinuously scurrying all over them with dozens of tiny insect legs to the disgust of the victims. The victims flinch to avoid and dislodge them, throwing them off- balance.

Cast spiders dozens of large hairy tarantulas and bird spiders crawl slowly from behind rocks and old tree stumps. They seek out those the Ranger has indicated. thrusting their fangs into the bodies of the victims which effects their nerves causing them to twitch and shudder with the effects.

Or Cast scorpions dozens of scorpions skitter out from their concealments in the ground. They click their pincers and curl their tails poised to strike. Their bodies are glossy black, dusky brown and deep blood red. They begin stinging the victims with their exquitely tapered tails. The victims shrudder and twitch in misery as it effects their nerves.

Celitha
Re: Swarm 11/29/2008 12:35 PM CST
Those Ideas are kicken, good stuff Celitha

Jeincains Rakash Ranger

~What can ya say to a Ranger with over 100 in all blades/blunts/bows/thrown?~