Branch Break 12/01/2002 05:26 PM CST
I agree that branch break is a bit underpowered. When it came out it was one of my favorite spells, not only because it was a good strong spell, but also because it was a good hunting spell. Now...well, the messaging is cool. I can hunt with it, I guess, but I feel it's kind of silly to have to drop multiple trees on a critter, pumping in at least 25-30 mana to maybe get a good hit. I'm not looking for a spell that performs an instakill or anything like that, but c'mon, with enough experience we're dropping a tree on these things, you get hit by a falling tree, it's going to hurt (which most of the hits were oddly to the abdomen, i would figure they should be to the head or the neck, maybe arms too...). Don't get me wrong, I'm so very glad to see the spell back, but since i'm going to have to waste at least one slot on compost to get it, I'd rather see it have a little more umph.

Storrmm
Branch Break issues with magic resistance? 01/20/2005 03:47 PM CST
Ok, I was melee sparring a barbarian. probably not the smartest thing for me to be doing.

But anyway-

To balance the odds, I prepped BB at 8, then harnessed 12 (in increments of 6.)

When I was fully prepped, no nerve damage to speak of, and I casted, it backfired.

Now, normally this can be attributed to his MR, his Fire, whatever. But when I tried again, I did it a bit differently.

I prepped BB at 12, harnessed 4, harnessed 4, and casted. Using the same 20 mana, I was able to accomplish hitting him with a tree.

SO....

Does one need to prep a spell's base higher and harness less mana to overcome MR, or is this a BB specific issue, or what?

You tap a leather cuff embroidered with the words "No Ranger stands alone." that you are wearing.
Re: Branch Break issues with magic resistance? 01/21/2005 07:04 AM CST
Prepping lower and harnessing more is harder, hense the backfire. MR isn't part of backfiring, it causes the flickering moats of light effect.

Samsaren Remlane
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, target practice on the other hand, is another matter entirely.
Re: Branch Break issues with magic resistance? 01/21/2005 08:23 AM CST
So next time I ought to prep 12 and harness 8?

You tap a leather cuff embroidered with the words "No Ranger stands alone." that you are wearing.
Re: Branch Break issues with magic resistance? 01/21/2005 02:32 PM CST
Or prep 20, only prepped mana goes into MR calcs, not harnessed mana.

Samsaren Remlane
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, target practice on the other hand, is another matter entirely.
Re: Branch Break issues with magic resistance? 01/21/2005 10:43 PM CST
>only prepped mana goes into MR calcs, not harnessed mana

I think they changed this... or they were working on it, at least, to take harnessed/cambrinth into account.

-Vision

I kill unarmed animals 24 anlaen a day. And I am constantly plastered in blood and bile from skinning their still-warm corpses. This "connection to the natural world" is why I intuitively grasp Anmal Lore. Also, I can shoot bees.
-Plaith
Re: Branch Break issues with magic resistance? 01/23/2005 01:09 PM CST
Either way, his issue was backfiring, so his best bet is to prep, most likely 18 if not just 20. Only catch of course being, prepping higher tier spells hinders evasion more, prepping with more mana just makes it worse.

Samsaren Remlane