Harawep's Bonds 09/09/2002 04:05 PM CDT
Greets,

A new version of Harawep's Bonds is live. This version incorporates the Hobble effect, which happens on a slight delay after the initial cast of the spell. There's not really any more room balance-wise for additional effects in this spell, so if this doesn't do the trick, the only other solution is to get more magic skill, or boost the stats that help SvA. <g>

Rigby

Re: Harawep's Bonds 09/09/2002 04:55 PM CDT
RIGBY!!!!!

YOU ARE THE FRIEKIN MAN!

Very sweet. I been playing with it and am very happy, I need to do more testing but so far you got an A for effort.

Falk
Re: Harawep's Bonds 09/09/2002 05:17 PM CDT
heya Rigby.

The spell still looks GREAT!

Just wondering if you can confirm (cuz I'm getting mixed results)

Is it set up that the more mana you put into HB, the more it will affect balance?

Falk
Re: Harawep's Bonds 09/09/2002 05:50 PM CDT
Rigby,

Thanks for a great job with this spell. However, some creatures are still slicing through the webbing without any seemingly logical reason. For example, no matter how high I prep HB against forest geni, they slice through the web with their claws in mere moments. Seems like there is no skill check involved (and their description doesnt mention them having claws). Could you look into this please? I remember other rangers mentioning this happening with some other high level creatures as well.

Thanks,
Kyrla
Re: Harawep's Bonds 09/09/2002 06:35 PM CDT
Love the changes!

Haven't been able to play with it too much, but everything with the balance lost seems a-ok

Couple questions and suggestions thou

1. Is badly balance the worst you can throw off the targets balance?

2. Can we get some type of messaging that the target was bitten and how bad the poisoning is

Thanks for all the hard work!
Re: Harawep's Bonds 09/09/2002 08:21 PM CDT
>>...high I prep HB against forest geni, they slice through the web with their claws in mere moments...<

Forest Geni are immune to webbing, so are snowbeast, adan'f, any of the arachnids... and several others

so no matter how difficult the web is, no matter how much PM you have, they'll just go snip snip right through the web <g> fun ain't it?

kinda like warmies with MOF up, no matter how much skill you have it'll always burn off the webbing on them
Re: Harawep's Bonds 09/09/2002 10:19 PM CDT
Rigby,

Excellent job adding a great feature to the spell.

My only gripe is that the effect is still relatively small and inconsistant at somewhat decent levels of PM.

In particular, the duration of the web and prep times. The balance factor seems fair, but the web seems to last a relatively short time. I did my testing in seords with approximately 370 PM and fair stats.

It took 20 mana to web at solid balance with a higher than a 50% rate. Happy with that (although above solid the rate dropped dramatically). But the max I can put into the spell, and granted my PM is not out of this world, is under 30. On average, I put them to badly balanced from solidly. Again, that's fine, but the webs lasted under 20 seconds, including the time it took before the hobble effect. Combined with the very infrequant rate of success at my casting limits when they were nimbly balanced, it just seems a bit awkward.

Maybe I am just hoping for too much.

At any rate, the spell is much improved, thank you.
Re: Harawep's Bonds 09/10/2002 09:34 AM CDT
Geni do have claws. Some have them in the description. You will see some that attack with fists and others with claw. Sort of reminds me of the days of old when you had rock trolls and then a claw troll would come in and kick yur buttocks.

I am starting my testing phase of this new addition. Who knows, I might actually like it.

Arctuniol
Re: Harawep's Bonds 09/10/2002 11:11 AM CDT
Some critters slice through webbing, become unstunned, auto-stand, wake up, and do a host of other things that their creator thought they needed to give them an extra edge. So that's not a HB issue, but a critter issue. Overall, though, if one spell doesn't have maximum effectivness against a particular type of critter, you'd use another spell that would. That's how critters and magic are intended to work together.

Yes, I know Swarm and Branch Break still aren't out, so your choices are currently a bit limited. <g>

Rigby
Re: Harawep's Bonds 09/10/2002 12:52 PM CDT
>>GM Rigby>>Overall, though, if one spell doesn't have maximum effectivness against a particular type of critter, you'd use another spell that would. That's how critters and magic are intended to work together. Yes, I know Swarm and Branch Break still aren't out, so your choices are currently a bit limited. <g>

For those of us who prefer not to kill with their magic (I have no magic req, but I have a weapon req) and would rather incapacitate or at least slow down their opponent, I am more curious as to whether Mesmerize is coming back and how effective it will be (it stank, before). Not to mention whether Mire is still on the planned spell list.

Having Swarm or BB available for those whose intent was to kill would be nice. But for those of us who seek to incapacitate only, there's no other options left.

That having been said, I tried out the new HB just for grins and giggles (not my usual way of saying that phrase, but the original would definitely get pulled, heh). I was rather impressed at the balance hit a leucro would take from a 10-mana cast (my limit is ~20 before it backfires). The messaging about the webbing tightening around the legs caught my eye and made me go, "oooooo ...". Very nice work. I might actually get the spell, now. Just going to be a while, I have others I want first.

~~~Krin
Re: Harawep's Bonds 09/10/2002 09:17 PM CDT
<< I am more curious as to whether Mesmerize is coming back and how effective it will be (it stank, before).>>

I asked Rigby and Maelona to drop Mesmorize off the spell list.

Later,

Jent
Re: Harawep's Bonds 09/11/2002 02:48 AM CDT
>>Jent>>I asked Rigby and Maelona to drop Mesmorize off the spell list.

OK, can we expect some new ideas along the same lines, for those of us who prefer to NOT kill with their magic?

If I had a magic req and used it primarily as my weapon, I might feel differently. But I don't need magic, per se, and I do need weapons. Every critter killed by my spells is one less for my weapons.

Any more spells coming down the pike to hinder/obstruct my opponent rather than maiming/killing them? The changes to HB are a definite step in the right direction, I like the new version a lot better than the old.

~~~Krin
This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/09/2004 12:48 PM CST
A 20 mana cast of HB that webs a peccary only gets it to somewhat off balance after it's wobbled? It makes no sense that my 116 ranks of HE are next to useless against something that is supposedly completey immobile. How is something that is UNABLE TO MOVE somehow able to get out of the way of my kertig bastard sword?

Please change HB back to the way it was, this is ridiculous.

Teesha

[Script aborted.]
prep hb 15
You close your eyes and breathe deeply, gathering energy for the Harawep's Bonds spell.
>l
[Fala Inisharon, The Bog Wallows]
A rocky outcropping like a tilted tabletop stretches far to the north to a jagged peak jutting into the sky. Through the ravelthorn bushes to the south and west comes the continuous roaring of the Altanen River. You also see a bristle-backed peccary and a bristle-backed peccary.
Obvious paths: northeast, southwest.
>
* A bristle-backed peccary lowers its head, tilts it to one side, and slashes its curved tusks at you. You knock aside nearly all the tusk with a scimitar. The tusk lands a grazing strike to your chest.
[You're nimbly balanced and have slight advantage.]
>harn 5
* A bristle-backed peccary uses its tusks like dueling blades, twisting violently at you. You repulse the tusk with a scimitar.
[You're nimbly balanced and opponent has slight advantage.]
* A bristle-backed peccary uses its tusks like dueling blades, twisting violently at you. You evade.
[You're nimbly balanced with opponent in better position.]
>
You tap into the mana from five of the surrounding streams and attempt to keep it channeling in a stream around you.
Roundtime: 3 seconds
>
* Powerhaus was just struck down!
>ass
You assess your combat situation...

A bristle-backed peccary (1: nimbly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
A bristle-backed peccary (2: nimbly balanced) is behind you at melee range.
You (nimbly balanced) are facing a bristle-backed peccary (1) at melee range.
>cast pecc
You gesture at a bristle-backed peccary.
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
A thousand tiny spiders crawl out of their hiding places and begin crawling over a bristle-backed peccary, trapping it in a cocoon of sticky webbing.
Roundtime: 1 second.
>get swo
You get a bastard sword from inside your spidersilk backpack.
>ass
* A bristle-backed peccary lowers its head, tilts it to one side, and slashes its curved tusks at you. You repulse some of the tusk with a scimitar. The tusk lands a brushing strike to your left arm.
[You're nimbly balanced with opponent in better position.]

A bristle-backed peccary (1: slightly off balance) is facing you at melee range.
You (nimbly balanced) are facing a bristle-backed peccary (1) at melee range.
>
You feel fully balanced again.
>
A bristle-backed peccary wobbles a bit as the webbing binding its legs thickens.
>ass

A bristle-backed peccary (1: somewhat off balance) is facing you at melee range.
You (solidly balanced) are facing a bristle-backed peccary (1) at melee range.
>draw
* A bristle-backed peccary uses its tusks like dueling blades, twisting violently at you. You fend off the tusk with a bastard sword.
[You're solidly balanced and in better position.]
< You step backward and then slice at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary dodges.
[You're slightly off balance and in better position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>sweep
< You sweep a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary fails to evade. The sword lands a harmless strike to the peccary's right arm.
[You're nimbly balanced and in strong position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>
You feel fully balanced again.
slice
>< You slice a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary fails to dodge. The sword lands a glancing strike to the peccary's right arm.
[You're nimbly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>
* A bristle-backed peccary lowers its head, tilts it to one side, and slashes its curved tusks at you. You beat off the tusk with a bastard sword.
[You're nimbly balanced and in better position.]
>chop
< You chop a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary evades.
[You're incredibly balanced and in dominating position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]
>
* A bristle-backed peccary slices wide at you. You dodge.
>draw
< You step backward and then slice at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary attempts to evade. The sword lands a good strike that just barely penetrates the skin to nick the stomach ('Tis but a scratch!).
[Roundtime 3 sec.]
>sweep
* A bristle-backed peccary lowers its head, tilts it to one side, and slashes its curved tusks at you. You evade.
[You're incredibly balanced and in excellent position.]
>
< You sweep a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary evades.
[You're incredibly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
[Roundtime 6 sec.]
>ass

A bristle-backed peccary (1: somewhat off balance) is facing you at melee range.
A bristle-backed peccary (2: slightly off balance) is behind you at melee range.
You (incredibly balanced) are facing a bristle-backed peccary (1) at melee range.
>
* A bristle-backed peccary uses its tusks like dueling blades, twisting violently at you. You dodge.
[You're nimbly balanced and in better position.]
>slice
>
< You slice a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary fails to evade. The sword lands a solid hit that nicks the peccary's left forearm.
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>
* A bristle-backed peccary lowers its head, tilts it to one side, and slashes its curved tusks at you. You evade.
[You're incredibly balanced and in good position.]
>chop
< You chop a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary fails to dodge. The sword lands a good strike that bloodies the peccary's lip.
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>
* A bristle-backed peccary uses its tusks like dueling blades, twisting violently at you. You evade.
>draw
< You step backward and then slice at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary attempts to evade. The sword lands a grazing blow to the peccary's right arm.
[Roundtime 3 sec.]
>
* A bristle-backed peccary lowers its head, tilts it to one side, and slashes its curved tusks at you. You dodge.
[You're incredibly balanced and in strong position.]
>sweep
< You sweep a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary attempts to evade. The sword lands a good strike that barely pierces the skin to nick the chest.
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>
* A bristle-backed peccary uses its tusks like dueling blades, twisting violently at you. You counter the tusk with a bastard sword.
[You're incredibly balanced and in very strong position.]
>slice
< You slice a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary fails to evade. The sword lands a hard hit that lightly cuts the peccary's forearm.
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>
With a snort of pure porcine pleasure, a bristle-backed peccary rubs its belly in the mud.
>chop
< You chop a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary attempts to evade. The sword lands a glancing strike to the peccary's right arm.
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>draw
< You step backward and then slice at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary attempts to evade. The sword lands a good strike that cuts deeply into the peccary's right tricep.
[Roundtime 3 sec.]
>sweep
< You sweep a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary attempts to dodge. The sword lands a good hit to the peccary's left leg.
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>
* A bristle-backed peccary slices wide at you. You dodge.
>slice
< You slice a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary attempts to evade. The sword lands a good strike that rips skin and exposes bloody cartilage under the left kneecap.
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>
Burying its snout in a patch of soft earth, the peccary roots for a moment then comes up munching something.
>ass

A bristle-backed peccary (1: badly balanced) is facing you at melee range.
You (incredibly balanced) are facing a bristle-backed peccary (1) at melee range.
>chop
A bristle-backed peccary manages to escape its sticky bonds.
>
< You chop a bastard sword at a bristle-backed peccary. A bristle-backed peccary dodges.
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
>l
[Fala Inisharon, The Bog Wallows]
A rocky outcropping like a tilted tabletop stretches far to the north to a jagged peak jutting into the sky. Through the ravelthorn bushes to the south and west comes the continuous roaring of the Altanen River. You also see a bristle-backed peccary and a bristle-backed peccary.
Obvious paths: northeast, southwest.
>
You feel fully attuned to the mana streams again.
>exp heavy edge
Showing Heavy Edged (full detail).

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning
Heavy Edged: 116 04.15% muddled

Time Development Points: 67 Favors: 5 Deaths: 54
Overall state of mind: clear

"Now don't be greedy, Marge. Remember, it's uterus not uteryou."
-Homer Simpson
Re: This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/09/2004 06:57 PM CST
Sea Shadowed-

how does your HE skill appraise against the peccaries?

I mean I used to be able, by using magic, to be able to hit things that would appraise at about 150 ranks with about 20 ranks in a weapon- this before the balance changes. I loved doing it, but I can see the logic in making it really hard to hit something that is completely out of your skill range no matter what the circumstances.

Flavius
Re: This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/09/2004 08:14 PM CST
According to logic...

If a creature is webbed, it cannot move, period. If it tries to dodge... that does NOT work. If it tries to parry, it's not going to help it unless you swing at the arm the weapon is in, and with a shield it's not going to help unless you stupidly whack the shield for it.

Please (un)fix our spell.

Lieutenant Xelten Tyrsin
Tribunal Dragoons
Aesry Surlaenis'a

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." --Harry S. Truman

Fengreve says, "Grishnok pops up, cops an attitude and Dritz webs him, then promptly drops a tree on his face."
Re: This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/09/2004 08:35 PM CST
Well, according to the same logic: the creature cannot defend itself or retaliate in any way, therefore hitting a webbed creature does not provide any challange or require any skill meaning hitting a webbed creature should teach very little if at all. So I agree that it would make sence to be able to hit the creature no mater what while it is webbed, but I think that hitting a webbed creature should not teach nearly as well as hitting a non-webbed creature.

Ugo of Aesry Surlaenis'a
Re: This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/10/2004 06:40 AM CST
<<Well, according to the same logic: the creature cannot defend itself or retaliate in any way, therefore hitting a webbed creature does not provide any challange or require any skill meaning hitting a webbed creature should teach very little if at all. So I agree that it would make sence to be able to hit the creature no mater what while it is webbed, but I think that hitting a webbed creature should not teach nearly as well as hitting a non-webbed creature.>>

And by that same logic, a stunned or creature that's laying down shouldn't teach you at all either.

Teesha

"Now don't be greedy, Marge. Remember, it's uterus not uteryou."
-Homer Simpson
Re: This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/10/2004 08:33 AM CST
Hitting stunned, immobile, whatever creatures DOESN'T teach you very well, this was changed with magic 2 unless I am mistaken.

And in my opinion, if you only have 1 rank in a weapon and you opponent has a million evasion, but you somehow 'immobilize' it, then it is no longer out of your skill range.
It can't move. Zero evasion. Game over.
I don't think anyone thinks it should teach, they just want to be able to kill something easily if they have to.

I guess my only question is this, is a webbed opponent 'immobilized', or are they just having a really really hard time moving?

Eldrad

Shellwind says, "xibar is a wonderful planet"
Frigeon says, "the guild is doomed"
Re: This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/10/2004 09:42 AM CST
>>I guess my only question is this, is a webbed opponent 'immobilized', or are they just having a really really hard time moving?<<

Webbed != Immobilized

There seems to be very few spells that grant that most vaunted of status effects, and the two that spring immediately to mind do so rarely.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/10/2004 10:30 AM CST
Veyl and Ssra went over this a little at Vegas. They said they'd look into making different degrees of being webbed and such. If you're standing up straight while webbed, you should still have a little mobility to be able to lean out of the way or duck or what not. However, being plastered to a wall or the ground should give you zero chance of dodging an attack.

Of course, if you want to be able to wipe the floor with a creature regardless of any skill difference simply because it is webbed, you should also expect any person or creature to be able to smack you around while you are webbed, regardless of their skill.

-Spiritshadow

"I wish I could just snap my fingers and make code fly out of every one of my orifaces." -Bubba, VegasCon2004
Re: This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/10/2004 11:28 AM CST
you should also expect any person or creature to be able to smack you around while you are webbed, regardless of their skill.

Of course. The door swings both ways after all.

Eldrad

Shellwind says, "xibar is a wonderful planet"
Frigeon says, "the guild is doomed"
Re: This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/10/2004 04:26 PM CST
>>Webbed != Immobilized

You can't even blink while webbed, I'd say you're pretty immobile.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.
Re: This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/10/2004 05:21 PM CST
Halt I can understand, however, my limbs are out from the body when I get webbed, my shield is up, my sword at an angle. These are webs- they hinder, and restrict but they do not freeze or immobilize unless those webs are anchoring me to something immobile.
Paladins, I believe have some restrictions (Soulstate and mana) to the use of Halt. What do you propose rangers suffer in exchange for what is, essentially, Halt?
And, add to that, the ability to escape should be removed since, if I can't move, I shouldn't be able to manipulate my body to shrug off the strands. Current webbing is buggy for its quirks- no blinking, no assessing, no attacking, etc, but let's not use these as firm arguments for making webbing another halt.

Jerevth

I can't fire them. I hired these guys for three days a week and they just started showing up every day. That was four years ago
Re: This is just stupid (Harawep's Bonds) 02/10/2004 11:00 PM CST
>>You can't even blink while webbed, I'd say you're pretty immobile.

Can you blink while stunned? Currently web gives a bigger penalty than stunned. You got the long end of the stick with spells and combat changes, trust me.

I am not arguing with you - I am telling you.

James A. McNeill Whistler