Default Life Spell Preparation 12/28/2015 09:00 AM CST
There's been grumbling over the years about the Life prep, in particular some of the adjectives that get used in it (rigid, tense). Since I have preps on the brain right now, this is the best time to bring this up:

Does anyone have a better suggestion for the Life prep, either different adjectives or an entirely different prep? It needs to be something with a reasonable aural component and no supernatural whatsits if it's a new prep.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Default Life Spell Preparation 12/28/2015 12:44 PM CST
I personally like both of those, but here are some more adjectives for the stances:

serene
tranquil
relaxed
composed
pensive

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Default Life Spell Preparation 12/28/2015 04:32 PM CST
Please don't change my meditative one. I've heard passing complaints about the others, but I like mine and literally re-rolled some other alts to get that prep :P

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Default Life Spell Preparation 12/28/2015 06:02 PM CST
>>DR-Armifer: Does anyone have a better suggestion for the Life prep, either different adjectives or an entirely different prep? It needs to be something with a reasonable aural component and no supernatural whatsits if it's a new prep.

Mine: With tense movements you prepare your body for the Guardian Spirit spell.
Sarkranis assumes a tense stance, concentrating on something.

I like what I have now (it's my favorite of the four), and I hope it's not changed without my approval, but I wouldn't be opposed to having additional options in the default spell prep "hopper."

Some additional possibilities for "stance" adjectives: alert, charged, composed, contemplative, deliberate, determined, dreamy, easygoing, energetic, evasive, feverish, firm, fixed, furtive, hard, immovable, implacable, intense, limp, mellow, nervous, nonchalant, open, pensive, placid, poised, quiescent, rapt, reflective, relaxed, resolute, sedate, self-assured, serene, shifty, solid, strained, submissive, tightly drawn, tranquil, unbending, uneasy, unwavering, unyielding, vigilant, wary, watchful, and wired.

I have heard that default spell preps are not easily changed, but is there any way to give players the option (either for plats or in-game currency) to choose one of their guild's default preps?

Right now, the only option is to reroll until you get the prep you like. If you're also trying to roll for a particular birth year, you may be spending a long time rerolling. Moreover, rerolling is not a practical option unless your character is new, or you don't care about losing everything.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Default Life Spell Preparation 12/28/2015 06:07 PM CST
>>I have heard that default spell preps are not easily changed, but is there any way to give players the option (either for plats or in-game currency) to choose one of their guild's default preps?

Not as the system is currently written. It's not out of the question, but it'd be a bigger project than just changing the messaging around.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Default Life Spell Preparation 12/29/2015 08:37 AM CST
I'd be happy if there was a Life/Empath-themed option in the Spell Library. I know the contest is long over, but how much work would it take to get an alternate prep in the library for Paladins, Empaths, and Rangers? I'm not creative, at all, or I would have submitted something.
Re: Default Life Spell Preparation 12/29/2015 08:55 AM CST
There's no plans for an Empathic, Paladin or a "nice" Cleric prep through the crimson-robed Mage, for IC reasons.

I'm not strictly against a Ranger-themed prep, bearing in mind something would need to wow me at this point because it's pretty cumbersome to update these NPCs so doing it for only a small handful of preps is probably not happening.

-Armifer
Re: Default Life Spell Preparation 12/29/2015 11:09 AM CST
>> Ranger-themed preps

That just made me think it would be cool if a ranger prep could change based on the nature levels of a room. Something like...

>pace
You glance about the area while pacing back and forth, like a large, stalking mountain cat.
>prep compost 10
You close your eyes and the world around you seems to hum as if aiding you in preparing the compost spell.

>pace
You pace back and forth like a trapped animal.
>prep compost 10
Your senses recoil at your surroundings as you struggle to focus on preparing the compost spell.

...at the two extremes, and three more steps for the three nature ranges in between.
I have a feeling that would be a nightmare project, too.
Re: Default Life Spell Preparation 12/30/2015 05:04 PM CST
This is a relevant suggestion because it does seem harder to cast spells in non-nature rooms.

CS and BS (cyclics) are harder to cast in urban areas vs. nature areas. Not sure why. Not sure if other ranger spells are like this either.
Re: Default Life Spell Preparation 12/30/2015 05:19 PM CST
<<CS and BS (cyclics) are harder to cast in urban areas vs. nature areas. Not sure why. Not sure if other ranger spells are like this either

The nature level of the room adjusts the difficulty of all Ranger spells for Rangers. It's probably most notable for the cyclics, however, since they're the most difficult to cast. I'm not sure if it applies to non-Rangers casting Ranger spells or Rangers casting non-Ranger spells, though.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Default Life Spell Preparation 01/02/2016 10:47 AM CST
>>The nature level of the room adjusts the difficulty of all Ranger spells for Rangers.

Interesting. I'll keep it in mind as I pick up Ranger dev items.

---
NaOH+HI