Sprout 11/28/2011 01:13 AM CST

I know that the Sprout spell is a Candidate for removal but think it should be looked at and possibly tweaked or moved. It should permanently increase the potency of the herbs it is cast at rather than wear off after 25 minutes. It should work like Clarify gem or Imbue in this regard. Personally I think the spell should be given to rangers or let everyone have it available in the Analogous spell book. With the new Alchemy changes planned I would hate to see something that makes herbs better go away. At the very least make the bonus permanent so others can have Empaths "imbue" herbs before processing them into tinctures, potions and salves.

The spell just needs improved or moved. Its a great concept and should not be thrown out.

In reality as in dreams, nothing is quite as it seems.
Re: Sprout 11/28/2011 01:57 AM CST
<<At the very least make the bonus permanent so others can have Empaths "imbue" herbs before processing them into tinctures, potions and salves>>

rather than a magical spell, my guess is the function of "sprout" will be replaced under the crafting system with techniques to make herbs more potent under Alchemy: Remedies.

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: Sprout 11/28/2011 09:36 AM CST
>>rather than a magical spell, my guess is the function of "sprout" will be replaced under the crafting system with techniques to make herbs more potent under Alchemy: Remedies.

Still would hate to see this spell leave entirely. I feel it should be moved to the AP spell book or given to rangers. If it was on a scroll it would immediately become a useful spell to anyone with good survivals.

Re: Sprout 11/28/2011 01:40 PM CST

<<If it was on a scroll it would immediately become a useful spell to anyone with good survivals>>

Not really. Being a craft the techniques will be available to ANYONE with good survivals. Including Barbarians, Traders and Thieves.

Re: Sprout 11/28/2011 06:10 PM CST

Well.... while we're on the topic...

I had an idea a little while ago for a total rewrite of the Sprout spell that would be a very handy utility. It'd be a ritual utility spell and include, as a component, any plant that can be foraged. Upon casting the spell, the component is destroyed, and that plant can now be foraged in the area for a duration of time.

Ships, ferries, etc. are warded from the spell, and casting it in town, while doable, causes massive property damage, resulting in large fines and jail time.

Eh?
Re: Sprout 11/28/2011 07:52 PM CST
>>I had an idea a little while ago for a total rewrite of the Sprout spell that would be a very handy utility. It'd be a ritual utility spell and include, as a component, any plant that can be foraged. Upon casting the spell, the component is destroyed, and that plant can now be foraged in the area for a duration of time.

That was the original plan for the spell, minus the component.

Current plan is the existing Sprout goes away, and a Ranger spell of the same name with this function takes it place eventually. Uncertain if it's going to make M3, since right now I'm far more interested in converting existing spells than writing yet more new ones.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Sprout 11/28/2011 07:53 PM CST
>>Upon casting the spell, the component is destroyed, and that plant can now be foraged in the area for a duration of time.

This is a cool idea. Especially if the spell could cause the newly sprouted plants to be better than average. Perhaps with higher skill level it could be cast to affect all plants in the area.

Re: Sprout 11/28/2011 07:54 PM CST
>>Not really. Being a craft the techniques will be available to ANYONE with good survivals. Including Barbarians, Traders and Thieves.

Isn't this the life magic folder? I guess I should have been more clear. Any magic user with good survivals.

Re: Sprout 11/28/2011 10:29 PM CST
<<Upon casting the spell, the component is destroyed, and that plant can now be foraged in the area for a duration of time.>>

that gives me an idea for a totally different but anthithetical sort of spell to sprout.

It would be the anthesis of sprout. I'd call it "wither" or "decay".

What it would do is totally drain all the life force from whatever plants and such were in the area. It might not be the "big N", but later lay necromancy; as it isn't alchemy of the flesh, but alchemy of botany. Or it could possibly be in the synthetic book. It would still be highly illegal to cast in a justice area. Plus it would give rangers another reason to hate necromancy. :-)

The purpose of the spell would be to take the usurped life energy and use it for.... I'm not sure what, as consume flesh already performs the function of healing. Something evil & juicy though.

Re: Sprout 11/28/2011 10:32 PM CST
>>The purpose of the spell would be to take the usurped life energy and use it for.... I'm not sure what, as consume flesh already performs the function of healing. Something evil & juicy though.

I like it. You could really show those jadice flowers and copperwood branches who's boss, now!
Malkien