Traders 3.0 10/28/2010 08:40 AM CDT

>>Crafted fireworks already exist and are available to everyone, unfortunately. When the supplies merchant makes an appearance of course.

Fireworks don't do anything in combat do they? I'm talking about combat uses.

>>Abilities themed around elaborate use of stage magic are kind of... lacking

You mean like whirlwind, backstab etc? Mundane stuff? Not sure how an elaborate move would be any different in this game than other things. A stun is a stun is a stun right? There's plenty of things you could do with perspective\perception tricks, slight of hand, distraction, confusion, Diversion etc. Just throwing out concept ideas.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Traders 3.0 10/28/2010 08:47 AM CDT
<<Fireworks don't do anything in combat do they? I'm talking about combat uses.

So Traders can throw firesworks anyone can make at enemies, but no other guild can?

Or, only Traders can make the damaging fireworks despite the whole idea of Crafting 3.0 being to open up crafting to everyone.

I'm not trashing your idea out of spite, in fact, I even had a partial proposal written up that was geared around Traders using items like molotov cocktails and automatons and stuff to achieve their ends. But I ran into the same issues as listed above. Why would only traders be able to use these items, and why wouldn't anyone just be able to make them?

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Traders 3.0 10/28/2010 09:45 AM CDT
>>Why why why?

I dunno, make something up like everything else in this fantasy game? It's not for me to decide I just gave an idea like I already said.

Re: Traders 3.0 10/28/2010 10:00 AM CDT

If you went with Mechanical Robots (think steam punk, not Star Wars) you could always argue that there was a guild secret much like "the keystone" used to be for The Masons (or so the lore goes).

-The Halfing
Re: Traders 3.0 10/28/2010 12:18 PM CDT
>>You mean like whirlwind, backstab etc? Mundane stuff? Not sure how an elaborate move would be any different in this game than other things. A stun is a stun is a stun right?

I mean legerdemain and I mean conceptually lacking.

"I can spend a few years of my life to learn how to make people think I made something disappear!" versus "I can spend a few years of my life to learn how to actually make something disappear."

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Traders 3.0 10/29/2010 01:14 PM CDT
Well they could be given abilities centered around supernatural insight.

This can revolve around abilities which boost crafting significantly, knowing weaknesses and strengths in armor, using the sun and compounds to clarify gems.

The insight itself also doesn't have to be able to do anything on its own but would require components or other things to function. Such as an ability which causes solutions or devices to be more potent when the trader uses it(as long as said ability is up).

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Traders 3.0 10/29/2010 03:45 PM CDT
>The insight itself also doesn't have to be able to do anything on its own but would require components or other things to function. Such as an ability which causes solutions or devices to be more potent when the trader uses it(as long as said ability is up).

I like this. Supernatural market awareness. In a trader's hands, things just seem to function better because a trader knows what they are really worth...

It would have to be something you activate if you want to tie it into the supernatural skill system.

Still think they should get some supernatural charisma. Charm the pants off you with their Charles Atlas personalities.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Traders 3.0 12/04/2010 12:48 PM CST
The only real way you're going to get some good, meaningful development for Traders is to re-design the concept of the entire guild. The current concept doesn't have to be completely thrown away, but there needs to be more. Just like how choosing the Bard guild someone could decide to be primarily a combat or performance Bard.

IMO not only should they have a lore-filled concept but also one with a little combat potential for unique abilities.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Traders 3.0 12/04/2010 03:17 PM CST
It would be interesting to leverage caravans as mobile support vehicles. Hireling combatants who will only come out if they're paid enough. A way to force retreats or escape without leaving the room. A RoS-like obstacle, perhaps.

A Trader ought to be like a conquistador: bringing the financial force of civilization to bear on indigenous populations.

...or I've been reading too much Malazan Book of the Fallen and have started thinking of Traders as Letur Anict or the Trygalle Trade Guild. That's possible, too.

It would be terribly amusing to have a tournament where the Traders wheel in their caravans, though. They'd be like paladins, but without the fake nobility of plate armor.
Re: Traders 3.0 12/04/2010 07:13 PM CST
>>A Trader ought to be like a conquistador: bringing the financial force of civilization to bear on indigenous populations.

I like it -- something historical like the chartered companies like the British East India Company and the Dutch East India Company or fictional like the the Trade Federation in Star Wars Episodes I-III. Proxy fighting is a good place to start, particularly if summonable minions are going to get universal support.

~Thilan
Re: Traders 3.0 12/06/2010 06:12 AM CST
traders should have slaves that will fight for them.

Re: Traders 3.0 12/06/2010 09:16 AM CST
similar to that old game where talon the merchant that had a merchant army that came and fought for him.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Traders 3.0 12/06/2010 12:20 PM CST
There's a board game you should play:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24181/imperial

And I think I've posted this Flash game here before:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/SugarFreeGames/caravaneer
Re: Traders 3.0 12/07/2010 07:54 PM CST
>>similar to that old game where talon the merchant that had a merchant army that came and fought for him.

Taloon - Dragon Warrior 4.
Re: Traders 3.0 10/03/2011 11:40 PM CDT
>>The only real way you're going to get some good, meaningful development for Traders is to re-design the concept of the entire guild. The current concept doesn't have to be completely thrown away, but there needs to be more. Just like how choosing the Bard guild someone could decide to be primarily a combat or performance Bard.

given the environment of dr, every guild should be given the opportunity to go the combat route, and should be supported with guild abilities. Even the empath guild leaders realized this long ago