Prev_page Previous 1
The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 03:13 PM CST
As Moon Mages are "Masters of Power Perception" they get very few abilities along those lines that other guilds at least mimic. At 200 PP other magic guilds can see larger amounts of mana than a MM, who on most days, is still working with shimmering mana. Even with over 300 PP on some days you are still going to see that same shimmering mana. MM perceiving of mana is set up on a scale that requires 1200 PP to get the full extent of the system. It is only around 70th circle that mana starts to favor a MM and mana does not become an everyday concern. To work PP most MMs sit at the topiary and look at the animals to train the skill. Mana is the same in every room, and MMs are trying to work the skill seeing less mana than the other magic guilds, because that is all there is. MM perception is also on a timer for perceiving so we can not "power walk" and train only being able to wait or find other NPCs in order to keep training. Other guilds get the ability to increase the amount of mana in the rooms, allowing them to turn good mana rooms into great mana rooms and effectively able to train the skill easier than a supposed "Master" of the skill (with the same amount of ranks).

My question is why other guilds have a problem with the "Masters of Power Perception" to see other mana types in the room. This would help MMs learn PP and keep us from sitting in the topiary. Giving them the ability to power walk like all the other magic guilds. I have heard that some consider this to be too overpowering of an ability and was wondering why?

Stolas

There is knowledge hidden in the shadows
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 05:11 PM CST
<<Mana is the same in every room

I see this as a major benefit. You don't have to walk around finding a good mana room to hunt. You don't have to walk to a better mana room to cast those mana intensive spells. If you choose to sit around in one room, call up a shadowling to help boost the mana, and find a bard with nexus (I think, don't have the song yet).

<<This would help MMs learn PP

I am a little confused how the 7+ methods of learning power perception isn't good enough. (Out of curiosity if you percieve someone else do you learn anything? If so, do that anywhere there is a crowd)

<<and MMs are trying to work the skill seeing less mana than the other magic guilds

For those guilds that power walk I don't think the amount of mana seen matters much on how well you learn, unless it is some calculation that draws on how much is possibly there.

As for your question I'll make you a deal. Give other mana using guilds the ability to perceive spells on others and I will have no objection to you seeing other mana types.
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 05:27 PM CST
<<I see this as a major benefit. You don't have to walk around finding a good mana room to hunt. You don't have to walk to a better mana room to cast those mana intensive spells. If you choose to sit around in one room, call up a shadowling to help boost the mana, and find a bard with nexus (I think, don't have the song yet).

If you want to cast mana intensive spells you have to use cambrinth, until around 70th circle in PP, just because there isnt enough mana for you to cast them. So if you consider it a major benifit to see hazy and shimmering streams everywhere, unable to buff yourself with spells or to cast combat spells then you should try it. And shadowling is only usable half the day, during the night. Other magic guilds can at least find a room to buff up in and then go hunting, a MM never has that option.

<<I am a little confused how the 7+ methods of learning power perception isn't good enough. (Out of curiosity if you percieve someone else do you learn anything? If so, do that anywhere there is a crowd)

Because they are all on timers and imagine trying to learn PP while only seeing hazy or shimmering mana with close to 300 PP. You are not going to get anywhere near ML. That is why there are zoos. The system is broken for MM after a certain point.

<<For those guilds that power walk I don't think the amount of mana seen matters much on how well you learn, unless it is some calculation that draws on how much is possibly there.

Guilds besides MMs get to continually go from room to room perceiving while a MM is on a timer to work his skills with lousy mana. The so called "Masters" of an ability are actually a huge disadvantage. Think of it as a WM learning TM slower and harder than a Ranger or Paladins able to learn HA faster and easier than Clerics.

<<As for your question I'll make you a deal. Give other mana using guilds the ability to perceive spells on others and I will have no objection to you seeing other mana types.

The reason other guilds can not sense other types of mana, is because other guilds besides MMs can not see more than one type of mana. By increasing your ability to see your chosen mana type you give up the ability to see all other forms. MMs are not effected this way because they actually see 5 different types of mana just to be able to cast their spells. I dont know why magic users can not sense spells from the same form of mana type they practice, but in theory they should. But, if you dont know what elemental magic looks like, if you arent a WM or Bard how could you be able to perceive it in the first place?

A MM can sense individual forms of mana on people and the spells that they create, why can they not perceive the raw unfocused mana in the room? A "Master of Power Perception" should be able to do this?

Stolas

Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 05:54 PM CST
<<So if you consider it a major benifit to see hazy and shimmering streams everywhere, unable to buff yourself with spells or to cast combat spells then you should try it.

Strange, while I haven't had a moon mage for a very long time (probably going on 6 years) at 40th circle I rarely ran out of mana.

<<Guilds besides MMs get to continually go from room to room perceiving

Call me old fashoned, but I only have one account. It seems that if you can find a powerpercieve teacher you could get the same benefit + scholarship.

<<Think of it as a WM learning TM slower and harder than a Ranger or Paladins able to learn HA faster and easier than Clerics

Good point, but I have a hard time believe that rangers or paladins are learning a tertiary skill faster than you are learning a primary one.

<< By increasing your ability to see your chosen mana type you give up the ability to see all other forms

I have a hard time with this, or else commoners would be able to see all mana types since they haven't specialized in one.

<<But, if you dont know what elemental magic looks like, if you arent a WM or Bard how could you be able to perceive it in the first place?

I agree. A moon mage doesn't know what elemental magic looks like.

Here is what my concern get's to. Once a moon mage starts seeing all types of mana it's only a stone throw's cast from being able to use it.
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 06:24 PM CST
The discussion in the MM folder wasn't to your liking?

Trebber

Your mech lore ranks could care less if the paper is blue or plain.

GM XXXXXX "Well, we can't please everyone."

You say, "True, but that is no reason not to try."
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 07:21 PM CST
<<The so called "Masters" of an ability are actually a huge disadvantage. Think of it as a WM learning TM slower and harder than a Ranger or Paladins able to learn HA faster and easier than Clerics.

This is a gross exaggeration. It is not nearly impossible for Moon Mages to learn PP in any way, shape, or form.

Malkien The Barbarian
Apis the Cleric
Ragesong the Bard
CoolMule the Warrior Mage

Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 09:35 PM CST
<<This is a gross exaggeration. It is not nearly impossible for Moon Mages to learn PP in any way, shape, or form.

I did not say impossible ... I said that it was easier for other magic using guilds to learn PP, get more out of it at lower levels of the skill than a Moon Mage -- who is suppose to be a Master of the skill.

Stolas

Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 09:41 PM CST
<<Good point, but I have a hard time believe that rangers or paladins are learning a tertiary skill faster than you are learning a primary one.

How hard is it for a Paladin or Ranger to Mind Lock PP and then see what a MM has to do to get the same results. And let's not talk about WMs who can go into good mana rooms and make them better especially with the help of a Bard.

<<I agree. A moon mage doesn't know what elemental magic looks like

Moon Mages do know what it looks like ... they can perceive elemental magic from WMs and Bards just like they can perceive all the mana types clinging to magic users. As well as the type of spell it is and the duration of the spell. Non MMs can not.

<<Here is what my concern get's to. Once a moon mage starts seeing all types of mana it's only a stone throw's cast from being able to use it.

Ok, this is the first real problem people have then ... that MMs will be able to use all the different mana types. Somehow I dont see this happening or if it did ... that their arms and legs would blow off ... like of like trying to use different mana type spells.

Stolas

Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 09:43 PM CST
<<The discussion in the MM folder wasn't to your liking?

Someone over in the MM folder said that we didnt have the ability to perceive other mana types in the room because of other player's objections. I was just wondering what those objections were.

Evidently so far it is ... because one day MMs would get the ability to use the mana they are perceiving.

Stolas

Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 10:04 PM CST
<<,I did not say impossible ... I said that it was easier for other magic using guilds to learn PP, get more out of it at lower levels of the skill than a Moon Mage -- who is suppose to be a Master of the skill.

No, you did not. I did. It is nearly impossible for Paladins or Rangers to learn target.

<<,How hard is it for a Paladin or Ranger to Mind Lock PP and then see what a MM has to do to get the same results. And let's not talk about WMs who can go into good mana rooms and make them better especially with the help of a Bard.

These are not magic primary guilds. It is not a relevant argument if you're basing it on how quick they can ML, because the pool size is smaller. Of course they're gonna mind lock it faster, but I don't think you're trying to say that they're also getting as much exp per tic as a MM would, yes? A MM's 'concentrating' would probably be a Ranger's 'mind lock' at higher levels.

Malkien The Barbarian
Apis the Cleric
Ragesong the Bard

Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 10:33 PM CST
>>Moon Mages do know what it looks like ... they can perceive elemental magic from WMs and Bards just like they can perceive all the mana types clinging to magic users.

I cannot see gravity. However, I can measure the effect of gravity and make lots of nifty deductions based on that.

Moon Mages cannot see alternate forms of mana. However, due to their expertise in the field, they are able to pick out small hints of spell energy, the identity of standing spell patterns and even the signs that someone is holding mana by critically examining the target's aura.

-Armifer
"...and we shall be able to see the heavens more clearly, the heavens which, though they still may be cruel, nonetheless will not deny to us their eternal beauties." -Giovanni Boccaccio
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 10:34 PM CST
<<These are not magic primary guilds. It is not a relevant argument if you're basing it on how quick they can ML, because the pool size is smaller. Of course they're gonna mind lock it faster, but I don't think you're trying to say that they're also getting as much exp per tic as a MM would, yes? A MM's 'concentrating' would probably be a Ranger's 'mind lock' at higher levels.

A Ranger can go all over the province to work his PP while a MM must stay in the zoo if he wants similar results. Remember, that is a comparision with a primary skillset against a tertiary. But, the Master of his craft has to sit in one place to lock his skill while every other magic using guild can train it at their leasure.

Lets talk about one of the magic prime guilds ....

Warrior Mages can ML PP easier than the Master of the skill, especially at lower ranks. WMs also have a spell to increase the amount of mana in the room just like the Masters of the skill. Only at around level 70 does a MM start competing with similar avaliable mana and that is with the MM having much more PP than the WM.

Stolas

Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 10:51 PM CST
<<Warrior Mages can ML PP easier than the Master of the skill, especially at lower ranks. WMs also have a spell to increase the amount of mana in the room just like the Masters of the skill. Only at around level 70 does a MM start competing with similar avaliable mana and that is with the MM having much more PP than the WM.

Why is your enjoyment of the game firmly entrenched in what another guild can or cannot do?

Trebber

Your mech lore ranks could care less if the paper is blue or plain.

GM XXXXXX "Well, we can't please everyone."

You say, "True, but that is no reason not to try."
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 11:42 PM CST
we could power walk if we wanted to, we just have the option not to

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 11:45 PM CST
>>Why is your enjoyment of the game firmly entrenched in what another guild can or cannot do?

And off of misconceptions. Fissure is not something that someone with low skills is going to be able to obtain or use. Benefit from, yes, cast themselves, no.

Also, just to squash a misconception that someone is working under, it is entirely possible for anyone who has enough PP skill to see the duration of any spell on them, no matter who cast it on them.

I play a Warrior Mage, but my character was able to see the 8 roisaen duration on the Wolf Scent that someone cast on him to help him do some foraging a few days ago. ::shrug:: YMMV, but mana type doesn't affect seeing durations of any spell on your character.

So, instead of asking to see other mana types in free-floating form (not a good thing, as you would/should, IMO, suffer therefore from an inability to be able to manipulate your own form of mana correctly), you should look for ways to better learn on the fly that make sense.

To expand on my inability statement, for your edification, it would, IMO, be fairly obvious that as you start to see all forms of mana better, that you might start suffering from an inability to grab the correct form of mana for your magic, simply because you can see all types of mana, so might have to pass some sort of contest to make sure you are pulling the right kind.

Oh, and to shoot down another misconception, I have never learned any experience in a room that has NO mana available, even from spill-over, and there are still, at over 200 ranks of PP, plenty of those rooms still around.

And I always use Cambrinth when I want to do more than minimum casts, since the best room I can usually get to, only allows me to cap out SuF by burning up the majority of my mana in a single cast.

And I have never seen a room even that good in any of the hunting areas I am able to currently hunt in. And when my character was young, even with the serious overtraining I took him trough for PP (it was his first skill, by a significant margin, to 100 ranks) most hunting areas had, at best, only one or two rooms that had enough mana for sustained casting of minimum prep FSes. And then add in the time needed to power walk through the hunting area to FIND those rooms. :(

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Mac OS X FE http://tinyurl.com/9xjyj
Amagaim's What to Hunt Chart
Excel format: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
HTML format: http://tinyurl.com/b7zj8
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/18/2006 11:59 PM CST
another thing circle is irrelevant in what you see, all it takes is enough pp

--
--
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/19/2006 12:16 AM CST
<<Why is your enjoyment of the game firmly entrenched in what another guild can or cannot do?

It isnt, but dont you think a so called, Master of Power Perception should actually be one? The other guilds abilities and capabilities are used as a reference point for comparisions, Trebber.

Are there other guilds that fit into the niche of ... so called "Masters of 'X'" that have the same problems that MMs have with PP? It would be like calling WMs "Masters of TM" and then giving Clerics greater ease to learn the skill and better spells in which to learn them.

Again, all I am asking is why people have a problem with MMs being able to perceive different types of available room mana. Since it was said on the MM boards that this ideas was offered up in the past and then shot down due to player outcry. I just never saw how it was unbalancing just to be able to sense it.

Stolas

Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/19/2006 05:03 AM CST
did something happen to make shadowlings suddenly stop teaching stalk/hiding/pp until infinity or is this guy just not training right.

A brilliant stream of pure white light jumps from you to Relayer.
It lands a cataclysmic hit against his chest!
As the hammer-shaped light silently explodes, you could swear you hear a voice whisper the word "Justice".
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/19/2006 05:09 AM CST
>did something happen to make shadowlings suddenly stop teaching stalk/hiding/pp until infinity or is this guy just not training right.

Yes, good thing you can keep casting them until infinity.

Lyonet
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/19/2006 10:13 AM CST
<<A Ranger can go all over the province to work his PP while a MM must stay in the zoo if he wants similar results. Remember, that is a comparision with a primary skillset against a tertiary. But, the Master of his craft has to sit in one place to lock his skill while every other magic using guild can train it at their leasure.

Moonie PP's timer makes it work a lot of like stalking, or stealing, or to a lesser extent appraisal. Being able to stay in one area (the zoo) and continually learn power perception actually seems an advantage to me. Using my Cleric or my Warrior Mage, I have to powerwalk to mind lock PP, and by that time PM, Harness, and MD have slipped away.

Achieving 5-magic mind locks is easiest for MMs because of their ability to remain stationary for PP. Also, if you cycle your commands (or script) efficiently, it's easy to keep Moon PP moving constantly. The timer can be both a detriment and an advantage depending on how it's used.

I don't care if you can see other kinds of mana. I guess you're assuming it would teach better if you did?

Malkien The Barbarian
Apis the Cleric
Ragesong the Bard

Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/20/2006 11:03 AM CST
Stolas- personally I would have no objection to MM being able to perceive other mana in a room. I just don't buy the rest of your arguement. You have offered your opinions but there sure doesn't seem to be any shortage of moonies hunting just fine- at all circles.

You have brought the same arguement from the moon mage folders, ostensibly just to ask what objections there are to your idea. But as you have noticed- people are objecting more to your generalization than what you presented as your question.
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/20/2006 04:03 PM CST
I'm VERY tired of hearing about how to learn PP a moon mage HAS to spend time in the zoo. I have 200+ ranks of pp and never spent a single day in the zoo. Write a good script. there are an infinite number of things to perceive (people, NPC's, etc). And Stolas, if at your circle you're seeing almost only shimmering or hazy, you have a serious problem. I usually see in the pulsating range.

Ragran to Rantjur:
"Remember that: you=weakling, rilely=adventurer."
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/23/2006 11:38 PM CST
Okay I know I'm late to the thread, I just got back from a little vacation.

>> I am a little confused how the 7+ methods of learning power perception isn't good enough.

Tell me how perceiving the mana in only 7 rooms works for you at 200, 300, 500+ ranks? I'm curious.

Yes, it's quite possible to train with just the books, but it's a pain in the ass (to put it bluntly) to nail down the timers to make training remotely efficient. That is exactly what you have to do, though, if you don't wish to sit in front of NPCs all day, and this becomes more and more true the higher your ranks are. I know of no other system that forces you to be so precise with timers to learn efficiently.

I'm hoping for two things with power perception...I want more ways (efficient ways) of learning it and I want it to do more for us. I'm hoping the Ways will address both of these, but there are a lot of neat abilities that could be added to the system in the mean time. Like being able to perceive the owners of Warrior Mage familiars. Still waiting on that one...

Rev. Reene, player of a few

Kystrk quietly says, "I'm going to burn this place down"
>
Kystrk takes a sip of his water.
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 06:57 AM CST
<<I want more ways

While I think that getting a skill for purely learning sake is a bad idea. With that said, here's a thought.

Why not get to percieve any constellations you know. I doubt that they would teach much as far as mana is concerned, but you could percieve what skillset they help with in predictions, as well as when they are visible (as in how many if in season (i know basicaly same as typing time here), and what season if not). That should give all the higher mages something to percieve.
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 08:36 AM CST
Or how about the planets since from what I understand as you gain more ranks of PP, moon mages start to draw mana from them.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros and Makona

"I would suggest taking everything as some sort of IC bias unless you see something which seems to offer incontrovertible proof of an OOC issue." -- Navak
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 10:47 AM CST
Hmmm- can't you learn PP from perceiving your Servent? or that other moonie thing- and cant those be recast and essentially teach PP at any level? I don't play a moonie but I thought moonies could do that.
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 11:28 AM CST
>>Or how about the planets since from what I understand as you gain more ranks of PP, moon mages start to draw mana from them.

We can already do that. It doesn't teach much, and is not useful.
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 01:29 PM CST
We can PERCEIVE PLANETS but not the individual planets.

We can get Shadowling or Shadow Servant to perceive, but it's a bandaid on a broken system. Not to mention that we were told by Talian that good NPC learning would be going bye-bye...But who knows now that Armifer is (not?) working on it.

>
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 03:28 PM CST
Okay this is so silly, Power Percpetion is a simple skill to learn yeah it takes a little bit to realize what works the very best.

Planets
Books of mana which i think is 5
Watcher
Each moon 3 of those up or not can still check
Shadowling
Shadow servant
Area
Moonbeam
NPC

Honestly My moonmage has progressed though Powerperception ranks rather easily and still works PP without having to sit in a zoo or use NPC's. Learning Power Perception as a Moonmage is defniately not broken.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 03:46 PM CST
And out of curiosity, how many ranks of PP does your Moon Mage have?

Also, how would you compare the time it takes to lock PP as a Moon Mage versus the time to lock PP as any other Magic Prime guild?

Or the effort that must go into figuring out how you can lock it? Timers and whatnot.

>
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 08:24 PM CST
I made it to almost 300 ranks of PP without even realizing people had problems with it. Never used NPC's, shadow servants, or anything else.

All I did was perceive everything I could, and then cast a spell and start it over. I had more PP than any other magic. Yeah.. it's time consuming, and it could use some tweaking. But it's not broken to the point that moon mages will never be able to learn their most blessed skill.

-Wighten
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 08:44 PM CST

Power Perceive: 442 80.25% very muddled

He's not even using zoo areas or other animals just precieving the things i listed. Figuring out hwo to train PP and what was best to do wasnt' really hard. It comes down to spells your moonmage has and you're personal want. The basics is to start with cycling through everything you can think of then doing it again. If you have shadowling use that if you can cast it a lot cast it and percieve other things while your mana regens it works.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 09:52 PM CST
i want to percieve the sun to tell when it will rise and when it will set

--
--
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 09:54 PM CST
<<i want to percieve the sun to tell when it will rise and when it will set

Get on orlog :).

Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Ranger, Warrior Mage

Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 09:58 PM CST
Or train scholarship and use TIME.

>
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/24/2006 10:12 PM CST
Augh. Can this be moved to the moon mage folder? It's silly to have the exact same people complaining or responding to complaints about the same topic in two different places at once.

Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Ranger, Warrior Mage

Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/25/2006 06:37 AM CST
<< i want to percieve the sun to tell when it will rise and when it will set

>perceive sun
You begin to closely observe the sun...
The sun lands a massive hit to your left eye, burning it badly, as you completely fail to evade.
The sun lands an annihilating hit to your right eye (Mom always told you not to look at the sun), leaving it a burnt cinder, as you completely fail to evade, severely stunning you!
[You are not very bright, and in terrible position.]

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
PSA - Sakhara's definition of RP (like many things) is erroneous
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/25/2006 10:15 AM CST
silly percieving is reaching out with your magic and senses not your eyes, that's why you can tell about the moons when their on the other side of the planet

--
--
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/25/2006 02:42 PM CST
Gotta love it when people miss the point...

>
Re: The Masters of Power Perception 03/28/2006 10:37 AM CST
So what Aleyden, Wighten, and DA are saying ... that Moon Mage PP is ok? I am glad ya'll arent the MM GM, because Armifer has said that Moon Mage PP is broken and out of wack. A Master of anything should not have the hardest time training of all other guilds in the same area. A Moon Mage sees less mana, on average, than any other guild magic primary, secondary or tertiary until they get around 500 PP. A Moon Mage just can not see the mana that any other guild in the game can find and use to train PP. And heaven forbid a Moon Mage is out trying to perceive mana on a bad part of the cycle. Everyone knows that Moon Mage PP is on the table to be worked on. Does that mean it will get any better for MMs ... I am sure you can join me in hoping so.

My question is why has there always been a problem with other guilds having the Masters of Power Perception actually perceiving some things ... like owners of familiars and other forms of mana in the room?

Stolas

Prev_page Previous 1