Quality of Life Suggestion for Barbarians, Thieves, and Crafters 04/14/2019 09:17 PM CDT
One of the biggest reasons I haven't gotten into crafting and keep pushing off doing so is that the system is, in a word, onerous. Finding information is mostly comprised of scouring the wiki for disconnected information and then asking players for what I can't find.

For example, I'm trying to figure out how to do my own armor/weapon repairs. That seems like a good way to get my feet wet with an immediate pay off, and that might pull me in to do more.

I remembered that I had tried this last summer as well, but couldn't find what I was looking for and just gave up after learning a couple techniques. Today I spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out what techniques I had, before finally asking a player for the spells-analogue syntax. Like, what verb functions like "spell" to list my techniques? I know craft tells me what I haven't spent, but the sub-syntax doesn't seem to work. "craft forging" just gives me the same thing as "craft" so I assumed it was broken.

Finally someone else broke it down for me that I had to look at it at the most granular view. That is, "craft weaponsmith" to see my weaponsmith techs, and so forth.

So I'm pitching an update to make "CRAFT" work more like "SPELL" -

Something like

> You recall the crafting techniques you have learned.
> You have not chosen a Career yet. You have not chosen a Hobby yet.
>
> In the skilled trade of Forging, you have been trained in
> - Basic Weapon Repair, and Advanced Weapon Repair in the Weaponsmithing Discipline
> - Basic Armor Repair in the Armorsmithing Discipline
> and may learn 0 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Blacksmithing Discipline, 0 techniques from the Armorsmithing Discipline and 0 techniques from the Weaponsmithing Discipline.
>
> In the skilled trade of Engineering, you can learn 3 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Tinkering Discipline, 0 techniques from the Shaping Discipline and 0 techniques from the Carving Discipline.
>
> In the skilled trade of Outfitting, you have been trained in
> Basic Tailoring Repair, Advanced Tailoring Repair, and Leather Tanning Expertise in the Tailoring Discipline
> and may 0 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Jewelry making Discipline, 0 techniques from the Tailoring Discipline and 0 techniques from the Artistry Discipline.
>
> In the skilled trade of Alchemy, you can learn 3 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Remedies Discipline, 0 techniques from the Poisons Discipline and 0 techniques from the Cooking Discipline.
>
> In the skilled trade of Enchanting, you can learn 0 techniques from any discipline, 0 techniques from the Artificing Discipline, 0 techniques from the Binding Discipline and 0 techniques from the Invoking Discipline.

In putting this together it occurred to me that one of the reasons I abandoned trying to learn to play a Barbarian is because I had the same amount of trouble keeping track of what my Barb knows. It would be cool to have a similar ability to view Dances/Roars/Forms/Meditations? for Barbs. And I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Thieves khris are equally discombobulated and could use a reference index and would benefit from something like this as well.
Re: Quality of Life Suggestion for Barbarians, Thieves, and Crafters 04/14/2019 09:20 PM CDT
in my example there I tried to preserve the existing functionality as much as possible, but I would suggest hiding the per-discipline slots available unless it's greater than 0, also, and just saying "you can learn 3 techniques from any discipline" or "you can learn 3 techniques from any discipline and 1 technique from the artificing discipline"
Re: Quality of Life Suggestion for Barbarians, Thieves, and Crafters 04/15/2019 06:09 AM CDT

Your frustration is well founded. The wiki is some help, these forums are very little. To get really good and immediate help with most things DR you need to download the discord app and join the DR server using this link: https://discord.me/dragonrealms. Once joined you will be invited to join other servers, some guild specific, some skill specific, like the crafting server. It is just too frustrating to try to figure out DR all on your own.
Re: Quality of Life Suggestion for Barbarians, Thieves, and Crafters 04/15/2019 03:21 PM CDT
Try craft armor or craft weapon or craft (discipline) not craft (skill) to see current chosen techs
Re: Quality of Life Suggestion for Barbarians, Thieves, and Crafters 04/15/2019 04:29 PM CDT
For Barbarians, you can type "Skill Name" list. So Berserk List, Roar List, Meditation List and so forth. Also can use the shortcuts to ber list, roar list, med list.
Re: Quality of Life Suggestion for Barbarians, Thieves, and Crafters 04/16/2019 07:19 PM CDT
right I'm suggesting a less esoteric way to do that

that's why it's called a "Quality of Life" suggestion.