What is your guild good/bad at? Why is the good stuff good, and why is the bad stuff bad? 06/22/2018 09:28 AM CDT
It's Friday and I'm bored and the forums don't get much activity lately, so I figured why not create a space for some hot takes and see if we can also produce something useful? I'll go first.

Warrior Mages:

Good At:

Magical burst damage: WMs just have all the tools. Blumfor Garaen, Dragon's Breath, Rimefang, and single-target TM for every situation. Once you have enough Attunement you can dump a ton of spells on a target in a very short time. WMs probably have the best and most consistent burst potential of any guild except new Thieves, if their immobilizer lets them consistently land eliminated backstabs (right now I think WMs are able to be more consistent than Thieves).

Fortifying a room: Again just great tools - Fire Rain for passive damage and Magnetic Ballista for semi-passive damage and balance debuffs, Frostbite for aoe soft CC and Thunderclap for aoe hard CC, Chain Lightning and Shockwave to just pour on more damage if they don't want to CC things.

Once they have enough Attunement, a Warrior Mage with a TM focus becomes a mobile gun platform that can just drop tons of bombs. They have a TM buff and can get a stacking accuracy buff for a short time from Pathway Accuracy. Dumping out enormous amounts of spell damage is super clearly their thing.

Tanking TM damage: Veil of Ice is hax for shutting down incoming TM. There's Pathway Defend to stack more TM defense. And if you absolutely just do not want to get hit with TM at all by anyone under almost every circumstance, though it does have some drawbacks, Aether Cloak is amazing. There are also Ethereal Shield and Grounding Field (if you feel like rolling the dice on whether your attacker is paying attention) to soak damage.

Bad At:

Debilitation: WMs have some great Debil spells, but they can't bonus any of the stats that contribute to the offensive side of the equation without Sorcery or microtrans items.

Tanking weapon damage: WMs have good defense buffs in Swirling Winds, Sure Footing and Aegis of Granite, but bad skill set placement and no wards to stack to mitigate physical damage. As the levels go up, just getting straight up shot in the face or backstabbed or etc is the thing that WMs have to work hardest to avoid with.

Tanking debilitation: WMs can't boost mentals at all, and have to choose between having Reflex and Agility boosted or having Stamina, Strength, and Reflex boosted. They are always relatively vulnerable to vs Will and either vs Stamina or vs Reflex contests. WMs have no abilities that bonus SvX contests or any wards, other than Lay Ward, which is pretty hax, to block incoming debilitation.

Mazrian
Re: What is your guild good/bad at? Why is the good stuff good, and why is the bad stuff bad? 06/22/2018 10:55 AM CDT
Fun thread.

Paladins:

Good at:

• Melee damage. It's pretty solid for a defense-oriented guild. Holy weapons and smite are awesome.

• General augmentation through magic. Can buff most stats, which is pretty cool. The ability to buff armor stats through DA is totally unique to us.

• Absorbing a hit. Best at absorbing damage without needing special abilities.

• Mundane ranged weapon defense. Big shields seem to be really useful against mundane ranged weapons.

Bad at:

• Debilitation. We have good stat buffs but only 2 debilitation options in PvP. One of them is subject to diminishing returns (SF/Halt) and the other is long-lasting and non-replaceable (shatter). The latter is only useful for the first few seconds, but lasts over a minute at max potency.

• Damage avoidance. We can absorb a hit well, but lack of an evasion (tertiary) buff makes us highly susceptible to shield-ignoring spells (e.g. burn, LB, SA) and weapon attacks (e.g. BS), and armor ignoring spells (e.g. CoZ) and abilities (e.g. Eliminate). Honestly, this doesn't bother me too much as long as I have a chance to punish my opponent but many consider this a minus.

• Ranged combat. Probably by a mile, this is the biggest problem with Paladin combat. We're very bad at ranged combat because we lack a ranged weapon buff and/or reliable debilitation option and/or have no ranged attack in our primary skill set. That's only a problem because the game is more ranged-oriented. There are a lot of tricks available to get away and stay away even in the face of grapple, even without retreating much (and incurring penalties). That sort of makes sense; I don't want novices to die too easily when they're learning the game. We're in the process of revision, though, I'm convinced the biggest improvement to paladin combat will come here, possibly through engagement and/or ranged abilities.

• Paladin combat has been described as kludgy relative to other guilds, and I agree with that. In PvP, TM isn't useful at tert at moderately high ranks. Debilitation is most of what's cast and we only have 2 options, so most of your time is spent trying to get to melee and not much casting goes on when halt's on DR and shatter. For some, the simplicity may be a good thing, especially if all you do is PvE.
Re: What is your guild good/bad at? Why is the good stuff good, and why is the bad stuff bad? 06/22/2018 12:10 PM CDT
My opinion.

Moon Mage:

Good at:

* Magical Transportation: With moon gates being the most common example.

* Versatility: Predictions can potentially help with almost anything. IOTS can boost any stat but 2.

* Preparation: Contingency, prediction pools, etc.

Bad at:

* Spontaneity: Sometimes there are no moons up. Even if you keep prediction pools full, there's a snake eyes that you don't get exactly what you want, and have to refill it to try again. Being able to do what you want when you want is an area of weakness.

* AOE: One spell does debilitation, and it has a cool down. One spell does attacks, and it requires items.

* Stat Buffs: IOTS is our only stat buff, but requires an appropriate planet visible, and can only do 2 stats at a time, and never Strength or Stamina.
Re: What is your guild good/bad at? Why is the good stuff good, and why is the bad stuff bad? 06/22/2018 04:33 PM CDT
Barbarian Good:

* Skillset is dope for combat, you're hunting with magic primaries who are 40 circles higher than you.

* Weapon primary, and the breadth of wards that compete with mundane weapons is not nearly as comprehensive as magic wards to fight TM (rightly so in my opinion). As a result they're probably the best overall guild at melee (offense/defense), outside of Backstab.

* The disablers are instant-cast and powerful.

* The wards are significant and bear mentioning.

Barbarian Bad:

* Nothing compares to TM as a damage source. DFA, multi-shot, heavy TM, single target, elemental damage types, spells that are basically pre-loaded an don't require actual targeting. It's like having every single mundane ranged weapon type (throwing blades, crossbows with maneuver powershot, aimed weapons) rolled into one skill, and it natively allows targeting while using weapons or performing many other actions (like hiding).

* Alternate damage streams. Sort of related to #1. The DPS is a lot higher than you might imagine so it's not as glaring an issue as some might make it seems, but it still bears mentioning I think. It would be cool to be able to "Juggle" weapons like throwing blades where you toss them into the air, throw a hammer at the enemy, then grab the blades and throw them, too. Something like that.

* All the insta-cast disablers, despite skill contest, are basically useless in many situations, being fear contests. Good luck getting a Necro's zombie off of you, only option is hiding or spamming retreat. A roar cloak provides a good amount of resistance, and the Barb counters to this (roar helms, warpaint) are currently non-functional since the rewrite.

* No sorcery. Well, let's just change that to "non-magic user," and all the stuff that this excludes you from.

* There's not a whole lot of utility or uniqueness to the actual function of the abilities. Buffs, debuff, resist debuff, passive ward, etc. Staunching bleeding and pulsing AOE balance hit (that doesn't seem to work on players?) is about as unique as you get. Power hitters like Fist of Faenella, Starlight Sphere, and Magnetic Ballista would instantly be among the most unique skills in the arsenal if we had a Barb equivalent.
Re: What is your guild good/bad at? Why is the good stuff good, and why is the bad stuff bad? 06/23/2018 02:04 AM CDT
Bard Good:

- Group Support. With 4 spells that pulse to group, plus 3 powerful beneficial area cyclics, I always feel like I'm bolstering the pack. I'm especially happy that the pulse to group spells are excellent accompaniments to my favorite partner guild: the WM.

- Scream Defiance. Yeah, I love it enough that it gets its own bullet point. I actually have something I can DO when debilitated, plus it gives me a powerful barrier. Unique and pretty sweet.

- Cyclics. Of course, we are the masters of cyclics. This really shines with our cyclic TM, since we have not one but TWO amazing TM cyclics that will follow us. Saragos likes to bitterly complain about my "better Fire Rain." However, it doesn't stop there. We have powerful cyclic utility as well. Cyclic mana regen, health/spirit regen, anti-scrying, anti-TM, etc. Plus having so many options means there's always an easy way to train a magic skill. I like to call Bards the secret fourth Magic primary for this reason.

- Creature control. With Sanctuary, Albreda's Balm, and Warhorn Warn, I literally have three ways to dampen spawn. What? Okay, maybe it's a bit much. This does actually come in handy though. If we ever get our beloved Call of the Siren back, we'll be true masters.

- TM damage. I know, I know, we're not WMs. However, I watched Duskruin pretty closely and we Bards aren't so bad. We can layer cyclic TM, single target TM, and our lovely heavy TM pet, plus we have a spell that boosts Disc and TM. Not too bad actually.

- Crafting. With WOTM and Lore primary, Bards are second only to Traders. First if you're looking to specialize, since WOTM lets you specialize in any one craft you want.

Bard Bad:

- Too many cyclics. Our focus on cyclics means that, while we have a lot of tools to choose from there, we kind of have few non-cyclics to layer with them. We have only one single target TM, which happens to be functionally identical to our only other option, the AP TM spell STRA. We can't really debilitate well while also laying down the TM.

- Crummy skillset placement for combat. Lore primary does almost nothing for combat, despite the sweet promise of Tactics. Defenses are tert. Perception is tert. Bleh.

- Performance. Do you know how many ranks of Performance a Bard needs for 200th? 1420. The skill does next to nothing and requires you to leave combat. It stinks. It's a real hindrance to combat training.

- Navesi
Re: What is your guild good/bad at? Why is the good stuff good, and why is the bad stuff bad? 06/23/2018 02:50 AM CDT
My main is WM, but I've also played MM pretty extensively, as well as Empath, Paladin, Necro, Barb, Cleric in varying amounts.

WM
I pretty much agree with everything Mazrian said here. I'll add a few things.
GOOD
I'm absolutely in love with the concept of using a sword and spells at the same time, and DR is one of the few places you can do it.
It's seriously awesome when you line everything up and get to blow some things apart.
There's a nice variety of tools in your toolbox to tackle different situations.
WM's have a very clear and easy concept to develop for. This ends up being great for WM development, as I think it can be easy to see how they should fit into systems, and the guild has benefited from it over the years.
BAD
Pathways are not user friendly at all and could use some serious QoL improvements.
The spell list doesn't... interlock as well as it could, and there are some extraneous legacy spells that just exist without having a clear niche. Some recent development has improved this, but it still exists. As a counterpoint, the Necro spell list is lean and mean, and there's no wasted space. The Bard list is pretty good on that as well. This is a minor quibble, however, and many guilds need development more than this needs fixing.
TM without a focus is not nearly as awesome as it looks, and the vaunted multiple damage channels are tricky to get going, and can be hard to actually bring to bear in practice. TM with a focus is much better, but if you can't get multiple damage channels going I've got a hunch (though I haven't tested scientifically) that weapons are rank for rank better DPS against single targets. This is all probably a good balance, but it's something I wish more people were aware of.

MM
GOOD
Amazing lore and guild complexity. It's so iconic and awesome.
Unmatched utility. The travel and the prediction system have an amount of complexity that feels rewarding to master and grants you a lot of cool tools in the process.
BAD
Everything has a catch. This is fun to work around sometimes (I really enjoy Empaths and working around their limitations), but sometimes MM's feel punitive.
MM's are amazingly bad at offense, and need some serious love. They used to be scary. They're not scary anymore. Weapons tert and the 3.0 changes have been brutal for them.

Some quick takes for the rest of these. I haven't played these to super high circles, so I'm less willing to defend my points here if someone with more experience says I'm wrong.
PALADIN
GOOD
Much improvement here, and the new lore and promised dev is exciting.
BAD
Magic desperately needs some updates.
Conceptually, I'm not sure glyphs still serve a purpose.
Guild still lacks something that separates the gameplay mechanically, IMO.

EMPATH
GOOD
Fun, amazing utility, and cool lore.
The limitations are actually FUN to work around. I've really enjoyed playing my Empath.
BAD
I actually don't really have anything to say here. As long as you know what you're getting into, the guild seems to be in a really good place.

NECROMANCER
GOOD
I really like how the spell list fits together. It's obviously designed with a more modern sensibility.
Despite the vaunted "hard mode", mechanically they're not punitive, and I found them actually less complicated to train than, say, Empaths.
Top tier guild skill as far as usefulness goes, on the same level and MM's and Empaths IMO.
Some good steps have been made to bring Necros into a better place RP-wise.
BAD
Skillset does, however, lead to some rough times training and more complicated training rhythms.
The actions of a few, especially using glass constructs to bypass consent, have OOC given the guild a bad name.

BARBARIAN
GOOD
Killer skillset, very straightforward to train.
Amazing buff suite - IF you can get high enough to actually use them. It kind of does it all, theoretically.
BAD
Barb abilities and resource management is not very user friendly. This is frustrating because typically the physical fighters in most games are actually easier to use than mages. Maybe I'm just too immersed in MageRealms to see it, but magic seems more user friendly, especially at lower levels.
Would really like it if IF could show up on the mana meter or have a completely RT-free way to see my power in a more granular way, such as with Meditate Power.
The power curve seems pretty uneven due to the importance of the Masteries.

- Saragos
Re: What is your guild good/bad at? Why is the good stuff good, and why is the bad stuff bad? 06/23/2018 06:28 AM CDT
I mostly play thieves these days.

Good:
Hiding - some of the easiest access to stealth buffs
Stealing - some of the only in-game systems that actively make shop stealing easier (mark)
Fairly simple magic system - no mana or rooms or targets, just 'khri go'
Single target damage - Backstab is a high alpha move. Snipe and dual load are nice.
Opening boxes - several abilities to make this easier and safer
Slip - from an RP perspective this is an amazing tool and I enjoy slipping cupcakes/etc.

Bad:

Hiding - almost every possible move requires it. If you remove it, through watch, stats, ranks, or as GMs do just marking a room 'no hide' thieves are useless.
Stealing - This system is mandatory, at 3 ranks per level, and you will be caught all the time.
Magic - no damage, no MD (yet?), no scrolls, controlled by concentration which is also used other places
No AoE damage
Dependence on props - ambush/BS/snipe/dual load are weapon attacks. Ambushes require items (rocks, blunts, dirt) or weapons with specific stats
Thief survivability is pretty terrible - since the modern game requires wearing clown suits, and thieves are mostly about 'move', with only one damage reduction that comes online around 250-300 ranks, it's a long, slow, head-beating.
Multiple unrelated bonus systems - confidence is not even 'half' finished. Urban is out of our control and mostly set to neutral so that rangers aren't ruined, even where it should be valid (...like in a shop in the middle of Ratha...?)

Upcoming:
The khri rewrite will probably modify the bad a little, since it's adding more crowd control and not-pure-hiding tools to the thief, and is hopefully making it a bit easier to engage the mandatory hiding bits.
Re: What is your guild good/bad at? Why is the good stuff good, and why is the bad stuff bad? 10/13/2018 09:03 PM CDT
Moon mages:
The Good: Lore.

The Bad: PvP.
Re: What is your guild good/bad at? Why is the good stuff good, and why is the bad stuff bad? 10/14/2018 09:09 AM CDT

Good: Warrior Mages have Water/Ice spells

Bad: Warrior mages don't have ENOUGH Water/Ice spells! I am so jealous of the Moon Mages Starlight Sphere..