Observations on fire building. 03/26/2018 11:31 PM CDT
Since I'm having difficulty finding information on fire building, I though I would post my own observations here to get feedback at what others have found when building a fire.

There seem to be 2 different types of fires, what I call "container fires" and "consuming fires".

Container fires act like containers for burning pieces of wood. When all the wood in fire crumbles, the fire then goes out and disappears.
Container fires only burn things like feathers, wood chips, twigs, and most apple sticks, apple branches, and apple limbs.
Container fires never seem to go beyond the size of a small fire.
Container fires seem to have a short life-span.
Container fires will not disappear when a Compost spell is cast.

Consuming fires immediately consume the wood that is placed on it, but the fire continues to burn.
Consuming fires only burn sticks, branches, and limbs (maybe also logs) except for most apple sticks, apple branches, and apple limbs
Consuming fires start small, but can be made large with enough wood put on them.
Consuming fires that are large last for a long time. I'm not sure when they go out as I've never stuck around long enough to see one burn away.
Consuming fires will disappear when a Compost spell is cast.

Why most apple wood, but not all, will only burn in a container fire is unknown to me. I'm guessing it's a bug and that all apple wood should burn in a consuming fire.
Feathers seem to be the easiest thing to light with flint, and limbs seem to be the hardest (haven't tried logs yet). I'm not sure what skills or stats play into what can be lit with flint.
Rusty nails are great for using with flint because wear-and-tare occurs on valuable metals. Rusty nails are generally easy to forage just about everywhere, but you need to forage 'rusty nail' and not just 'nail'.

If you have any more info to add to fire building, please let me know. When I'm confident in the amount of info I have I plan to add "Fire building" to elanthipedia.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game. Michael Jordan
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/game
Re: Observations on fire building. 03/28/2018 02:25 AM CDT
"Container fires" are the old fire system.
The fire will last as long as the fuel in them lasts. Logs used to be the most common fuel since they last the longest, but they are no longer able to be foraged.

When shaping & lumberjacking came out, the new types of sticks/limbs that are foraged were no longer able to be burned so a new fire system was created, which you call "Consuming fire"
Apparently there is something odd about apple sticks that makes them work with the old, not with the new?

Any metal weapon can be used with flint to light a fire.

forage limb
drop limb
wield weapon
get flint
light limb with flint
..will work, if I remember correctly.
Re: Observations on fire building. 03/28/2018 02:17 PM CDT
>Any metal weapon can be used with flint to light a fire.

The most general case is that anything appraising as made of metal (cambrinth, for example) can be used with flint.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: Observations on fire building. 04/01/2018 09:11 PM CDT
Just wanted to point out, you can still forage logs, you just cannot forage for logs specifically.. ie.

>forage
will eventually find you a log

>forage log
does not work

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR