Record Fish 09/30/2008 05:14 PM CDT
Is there some special thing you have to know to catch larger fish? Bait, line weight\length, or hook size?

I haven't noticed any difference in changing any of these.

What about location? I tried a few different spots in Aersy and I seem to always catch the same types of fish.

Also a question about the records, is the record board realms wide or just local? ie if I look at the record board in Aersy is that just for Aersy fishers? Thanks for any help.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Record Fish 09/30/2008 08:54 PM CDT
>>Is there some special thing you have to know to catch larger fish?

Foraging and/or Animal Lore. Determines the weight range (X to Y) of any type of fish that you can get to nibble. Seems like perhaps there might be some sort of limitation to this to prevent fish with a minimum weight greater than your ability allows you to catch from biting your bait and thereby pretty much automatically yank your pole, break your line, or spit the hook out. As skill grows, you will be unable to catch fish weighing less than X.

hook size. I didn't test for this regarding fish weight. Might govern how easily the hook can slip out, however.
line size. Determines if a fish can pop the line or not. Heavier line = harder to break.
pole type (not sure anything's visible other than name and standard appraise values).
bait type. According to "recent" posts on the subject, changes the ratio of bite probabilities to favor different types of fish. Does not change what fish types will bite.
fish "fatigue". Fish can pop lines, slip hooks, and pull the pole from your hand. They apparently cannot do so if they wore themselves out.
fish "strength". Helps determine how much fatigue they have and what sort of fighting power?
fish "teeth? agility?". Some fish have teeth, and subsequently are more prone to popping lines.
your strength. Helps you hold onto your pole.
your stamina/fatigue? (never checked to see if fighting a larger fish wore me out any (faster), but I don't think it applies.)

location. Determines max size of fish you can catch there, as well as fish type. Just because you can catch a 300-lb creppoo in the ocean doesn't mean you will find any bigger than 12 in the Arthe Dale swimming hole
fish type (never mind that creppoo max weight seems to be 16ish lbs rather than 300).

>>Also a question about the records, is the record board realms wide or just local? ie if I look at the record board in Aersy is that just for Aersy fishers? Thanks for any help.

It's instance-wide. Everyone in Plat uses the same board, everyone in Prime uses a different board, and TF has a third board.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Record Fish 10/01/2008 12:11 AM CDT
>>Is there some special thing you have to know to catch larger fish?

What I Have Found To Be True:

I've broken all the TF fishing records using the worms and poles from Langenfirth.

I caught these record-breaking fish from one of three places: the Landing in Lang, the docks in Aesry and the docks in Ratha. (This is not to say that I could not have caught them elsewhere, it just happens that I fish at these three locations more frequently than any others).

I caught them with varying degrees of skill: I started with around 150 Foraging, 0 Animal Lore. I now have 450 Foraging and 115 Animal Lore. I don't break my own records too often, but it does happen occasionally.

I have never changed my line, bait or hooks. I have never lost a pole, lost a fish, broke a line or anything other than actually catch the fish while fishing.

Weights are mostly determined by fish type, however those can vary quite a bit from fish to fish, within a given type. My guess is that it is a percentage-based range - you won't ever see a 300 pound creppoo, but you could get lucky with a 20 pounder.

I don't have any clue what most of J'Lo posted is about. However,

>>It's instance-wide. Everyone in Plat uses the same board, everyone in Prime uses a different board, and TF has a third board.

is true.

GENT
Re: Record Fish 10/01/2008 08:52 AM CDT
I've found prize fish at one of the wedding portal spots, Ratha docks, the stream on the way to Boar Clan, pretty much anywhere. I have lots less foraging, I use live fish as bait and the poles from where ever I am at the time and have on me. I think it all boils down to a little luck, pretty much like it is in life.

~Eoworfinia~
Dartenian fades into view.
A horde of Lawrence Welk fans decend on the area.
Dartenian whimpers softly.
Re: Record Fish 10/01/2008 03:06 PM CDT
>>I think it all boils down to a little luck, pretty much like it is in life.

Bingo.

GENT
Re: Record Fish 10/01/2008 03:35 PM CDT
Just on this train of thought, the record lists just seem to get stale. Be nice if they were just a yearly list (in game year I mean). Plus add a plaque for the all time largest fish.

Abison
Re: Record Fish 10/01/2008 04:27 PM CDT
>Just on this train of thought, the record lists just seem to get stale. Be nice if they were just a yearly list (in game year I mean). Plus add a plaque for the all time largest fish.

Yeah. Gent killed any urge I have to fish by wiping my one record off the boards.
Re: Record Fish 10/01/2008 10:50 PM CDT
>>Yeah. Gent killed any urge I have to fish by wiping my one record off the boards.

Aww.

I just wish that I could find those last three fish whose names changed, I hate having those three missing!

GENT
Re: Record Fish 10/02/2008 07:39 AM CDT
Along with you GENT I have never broke pole\line\hook etc.

*Actually I did break a pole by casting and then moving rooms but that isn't considered fishing I suppose

I am not noticing any difference at all as well...for example I figured bigger hooks = bigger fish, and also perhaps longer line = different types but that doesn't seem to be the case.

One other thing I noticed as well, some fish are alot easier to get the record, the easiest of the easy being the lough char, I currently hold that record but I match the weight every few fishing trips.
(A tie breaks the record)

Thanks for all your help, I am going to move back to using the short line (less reels to get in)

Re: Record Fish 10/03/2008 09:55 AM CDT
Awhile back, I started a huge fishing experiment. The plan was to try all the variables (there are tons), and see what shook loose. Here are the things I can claim based on my experience.

This was the basic idea: Cast 1000 times, isolating one variable (bait, pause time, distance cast, hook, line, time of day). I slept at all times so that my foraging, mech, and animal lore stayed the exact same through the entire experiment. I didn't circle, or use any TDPs.

I didn't make it all the way through the experiment. SORRY. I may try again after I hit a few other goals.

#1. Bait influences the type of fish caught. For example (not actual numbers): with cheese you might catch a pile perch 28% of the time, but with live bait you might catch it 16% of the time. I did not notice a change in the average weight of the fish change with type of bait.

#2. Time of day influences the chance to catch a fish. early morning, and late evening was dramatically different that middle of the day.

#3. Weather was a slight influence, but was difficult to isolate versus time of day so I will have to figure out how to do this experiment differently. I did notice that it had an effect (but it was only over 100 or so casts)

#4. There was an increase in fish weight with changes in line and hook size. But again, I gave up before I could really get enough data to say it for a fact. It could have just been a spike in fish weight.

To be completely honest, I can only say with 99% certainity that #1, and #2 are true, and #3 & #4 are more like hypothesis that need to be further tested.
Re: Record Fish 10/03/2008 04:11 PM CDT
>>fishing data

Thanks for the information!

GENT
Re: Record Fish 10/10/2008 02:08 PM CDT
Well GENT, it happened...

You feel a hard tug on your fishing pole.

>look at my pole
It's a collapsible fishing pole with a roll of line at one end that you can cast out into the water.
You've hooked a live one!
>pull my pole
There's something on the hook!
You wind in some of the slack line.
>pull my pole
You vigorously wind in some of the line.
>pull my pole
>pull my pole
>pull my pole
>pull my pole
Your fishing pole creaks and the line groans under the intense pressure. It's all you can do to keep hold of the pole. In fact you fear that one more gigantic pull might yank you off your feet and drag you into the water.
A spottail bluefish breaks clean from the water's surface in a mighty leap as it swims through the air in a brief attempt to find its wings!

Suddenly, your line breaks!

>
That's all of it!
>look at my pole
It's a collapsible fishing pole with a roll of line at one end that you can cast out into the water.
You have some type 3 line.
There is no fishing hook on the pole.
The pole isn't baited.

...First time for everything...

Re: Record Fish 10/10/2008 04:58 PM CDT
>>Well GENT, it happened...

Heh. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

GENT
Re: Record Fish 10/10/2008 10:23 PM CDT
>>Heh. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

I was using hook size 8 and line size 3 and fishing in the Aesry sea just for FYI.
(I am now using size 40 hooks and line size 7 just to avoid that issue...that could of been a record fish??!!)

I do notice location seems to be a large factor for what type of fish you catch....in different places in the sea I catch a different selection.

My experince is limited to Aersy, but I have been fishing heavily for the past 2 weeks. The records must be really rare, or I am in the wrong location for the largest fish of the types I am catching.