Holding onto the pole. 04/15/2008 01:23 AM CDT
I keep losing my pole! I've thrown about three gold away on fishing poles and am at an age where that's a lot of money. If I can only hold onto it, fishing seems like a decent return for young players. Is there anything I can do to keep from getting it ripped out of my hands?
Re: Holding onto the pole. 04/15/2008 07:05 AM CDT
Fish somewhere else, I don't know where you're trying to fish...but I believe that breakage/losing a fishing pole is linked to the size of the fish.

If you're premium, there are free fishing poles. If you're not premium, you can get fishing poles off the Skirr'lolasu while it is docked.

Let us know where you're fishing, and I'm sure someone can suggest a place which generally has smaller fish.

I am --- Navak
Re: Holding onto the pole. 04/15/2008 09:37 AM CDT
I think strength affects wether you can hold onto the pole. Also try not pushing your pole out as far and try using smaller hooks and weaker lines. You probably won't catch a champion fish, but you'll be less likely to lose your pole.

Also I think crocodile gars, since they are such large and aggresive fish, are the worst about taking poles, so you might wanna avoid fishing in areas where these fish are.

I know my stronger S'kra character had better luck holding onto poles than my weaker Gnome character.
Re: Holding onto the pole. 04/15/2008 11:42 AM CDT
> Let us know where you're fishing, and I'm sure someone can suggest a place which generally has smaller fish.

It happened when fishing off of the Wharf in Langenfirth, and on the Pier in Riverhaven. Fished for a long time off of the underwharf though, and never had a problem.

> the Skirr'lolasu

The who?

> try using smaller hooks and weaker lines

This is good advice. I just used whatever the pole came with. It seem like the line should break before it comes free of my hand. I'm not looking to pull up a marlin, after all, just earn some change and learn some foraging while I'm at it.
Re: Holding onto the pole. 04/15/2008 11:54 AM CDT
Try fishing off the lake shore in Langenfirth and there is a stream at the bridge north side of Langenfirth and there is a home area west side of Langenfirth where there is a stream you can fish in/off. Smaller fish in these areas.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Holding onto the pole. 04/15/2008 11:03 PM CDT
>>Use smaller hooks and weaker lines

As the player of a former commoner who got her first 90-odd ranks of foraging by fishing alone, I think this is really the key.

I think shallow water => smaller fish , so it's probably best to fish in water that you can actually stand in, if you can find any.

You might actually be able to fish in the underwharf area, but I've never tried.

Now that my Commoner is an Empath and can't fish due to shock, I will reveal my favorite fishing spot ever:
off of the Oxenwaithe Bridge in Crossing. I've never seen anyone else fishing off of the bridges, but it's great not to have to leave town and trek into the wilderness to go fishing. The bridge thing works in Shard, too.

I will miss being able to access the fishing system with this character. I really wish the Powers That Be that be would reconsider the whole fishing thing, but oh well.

You belt out, "Avast! Prepare to be boarded!"
>jump ferry
Gathering up your courage, you take a flying leap toward the other ferry and land on its deck.
Re: Holding onto the pole. 04/16/2008 08:41 AM CDT
there's another free pole fishing spot in the crossings that you don't need to be premie to have access to

from the bank
east, south, south, south, climb stairs, down, go dock

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Holding onto the pole. 04/16/2008 09:30 AM CDT
>>I think shallow water => smaller fish , so it's probably best to fish in water that you can actually stand in, if you can find any.

This isn't always accurate.

I was never able to tie it down...but it's something a bit more complex than that or I've just run into a few odd places to fish.

I am --- Navak
Re: Holding onto the pole. 04/16/2008 09:50 AM CDT
i'm curious as to whether any fellow thieves have attempted fishing in the 5th passage?

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Holding onto the pole. 04/20/2008 07:58 AM CDT
As I currently have 10 stamina and 11 strength, I get this problem too.

My guess is that strength and stamina both play a role. My reasoning comes from the fact that often my fatigue gets tanked when a fish yanks on my pole. I assume that if my fatigue would be fully depleted from a given yank, then what actually happens is the fish yanks it right out of my hands.

If you're a Bard, try singing the Lilt (that's what I do). I think Paladins have Courage for stamina(?) and other guilds may have boosters too. And just be prepared to mash on your reeling macro to get the thing in as soon as possible.

Also be careful of moving around and then reeling in. I accidentally did this while getting on the ferry and lost my pole that way too. :(

- Player of Niieth

P.S. The lake shore in Lang is just great, especially since it bleeds my ears with Elemental mana...