Unfishable spots 08/12/2007 07:38 AM CDT
[Aesry Surlaenis'a, Highland Ledge]
Water seeps in a thready trickle from a crack in the rock, dribbling swiftly away to join the stream gushing from a larger hole below the path. The rocky ledge extends east and west to meadows tucked beneath steep cliff walls.
Obvious paths: west.

>cast pole
You can't cast the fishing pole here. Try finding a body of water.

>go stream
[Aesry Surlaenis'a, Highlands Stream]
A dark hole just under the surface of the pooling stream releases a flood of water from beneath the cliff wall. The temperature is just warm enough to keep it liquid, but it is always icy cold, summer and winter. Rocky walls on one side lead back up to the ledge. On the other side, nothing is visible but the tops of shrubs and stunted trees that cling to the sheer slopes.
Obvious paths: west.

>cast pole
The water's awfully deep to try fishing here!

>w
Roundtime: 4 sec.
You swim west, moving with the light current.
Here the waters are the calmest, just before dropping over a small lip to a pool of rough currents below. The tone of the rapids is high in pitch, and the sheer wall on the northern side reverberates in an echo of pleasant harmony in a song without words.
Obvious paths: east, west.
>cast pole

>w
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You swim west, moving with the light current.
The deep rapids churn the water collecting in this hollowed basin before continuing down the precipitous slopes. Trailing vegetation dangles in the water and holds back many of the shards of rock that often rain down from the cliffs above.
Obvious paths: east, west.
>cast pole

and so on...

-/\/\
Moon mage Daellid
Re: Unfishable spots 08/12/2007 09:12 AM CDT
ya know, people DO fish in the ocean.

why would you not be able to fish in deep water?

particularly since you can fish onboard ships.

<<If nothing else, maybe some Magic Using guilds will now feel the joys of "You cannot steal here.", at least for a while.--Solomon>>
Re: Unfishable spots 08/12/2007 10:42 AM CDT
I read that as saying that since you're swimming, the water is too deep for you to use the pole, not that the water is too deep to catch fish.
Re: Unfishable spots 08/12/2007 12:19 PM CDT
>>why would you not be able to fish in deep water?

People never fish in deep water when they are swimming in it.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Unfishable spots 08/12/2007 12:25 PM CDT
The point is that there is a stream in front yard, and I can't fish in any of it. Not standing next to it, or in it. It's 100% completely unfishable, the way it's set up.

-/\/\
Moon mage Daellid
Re: Unfishable spots 08/15/2007 05:00 AM CDT
I will do some digging on this stuff.

Carveable fishing poles.... interesting.

Regards,
Rhaz
Re: Unfishable spots 08/15/2007 08:14 AM CDT
>> I will do some digging on this stuff.

Thanks. Room by room, it makes sense that the rooms are unfishable, but in the big picture it seems strange that there is a stream there and it can't be fished.

-/\/\
Moon mage Daellid
Re: Unfishable spots 08/15/2007 11:55 PM CDT
I know that it has been said by a GM before that some rooms with water in the description don't necessarily have the water in reasonable reach or in reasonable amounts, though some of those I must admit would seem to me that they should be fishable.

Re: Unfishable spots 08/16/2007 06:54 AM CDT
>> I know that it has been said by a GM before that some rooms with water in the description don't necessarily have the water in reasonable reach or in reasonable amounts, though some of those I must admit would seem to me that they should be fishable.

Of course I'm biased by the fact that it's two steps out of the front door of my house, so any logical argument is bound to go in one pointy ear and out the other.

-/\/\
Moon mage Daellid