Will the skinning experience from fishing be increased after the mech split is complete? 03/18/2015 10:32 AM CDT
When we don't have mechanical lore anymore, fishing will no longer be training outdoorsmanship + skinning + mech lore, just outdoorsmanship + skinning.

Will the skinning experience be increased to compensate?

I think this should happen anyway, personally. It is a cooler way of learning outdoorsmanship than collect rock, and should be incentivized a little bit.
Re: Will the skinning experience from fishing be increased after the mech split is complete? 03/18/2015 11:42 AM CDT
I don't see a particular reason to wait. I'd like to see it just teach outdoorsmanship and nothing else.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Will the skinning experience from fishing be increased after the mech split is complete? 05/02/2015 08:39 AM CDT

Here is my thought, and I'm sorry for butting in on a topic I know so little about.

If you gain skinning from fishing, then my thought is that eventually fishing, and skinning the fish will be part of cooking system.

Because I've been taken on three fishing trips in my life time and I had to kill the fish on the last one, actually we stood in their in the kitchen debating the best way for so long that the fish suffocated to death, and we all felt bad about that. Honestly I never thought suffocation the worst way to go.

So anyway, after you catch a fish, usually you keep them in a fish bucket with cool water, realistically I've only packed 2 large fish per bucket, if they want to make it so you can put more than that in there. I'm fine with bending reality for that.

So you umm cut the head off right behind the ear, and then you use a sort of rounded off I swear it looks a bit like a scimitar bladed knife, called a descaling knife and you could use any knife maybe a skinning knife would keep item counts down. Umm so yeah you carefully descale it, from the tail side, but you can start from the head if you want. Tail is considered easiest because you want to go against the scales of the fish.

Then after scales you have to debone it, now usually when you are descaling it your taking the bones too, but sometimes a few bones might be missed or if you do it wrong you might need to spend hours picking out delicate fish bones, and before you say I want to use these for carving. No. Fish bones are very delicate. The few things I've seen made out of fish bones in game must have come from giant sized marlin sized fish. A marlin should be as heavy as 4 suits of plate armor, possibly more than that, the same with tuna, they are BIG fish. I'm sure you already knew that. If you watched the Old Man movie.

As a crafter I've looked at fish bones from canned salmon and I could almost see them being cleaned and carved into little beads (the spine) but I really could not envision any other viable crafting application.

So after you've skinned it, then you can cut it into filets, and you get 2 per fish usually with small, 4 from medium, 8 from large and 30 from giant sized.

That is where I think fishing system should go or be finished as.

~Sircha/Racha 'always play a bard, always'
Re: Will the skinning experience from fishing be increased after the mech split is complete? 05/25/2015 06:48 PM CDT
It does seem that the Outdoorsmanship from fishing is broken. I have been rapidfire catching fish for several hours and never gotten above 5%, despite doing nothing else, and catching lots very quickly. Considering that it trains really badly and that fish currently sell for insignificant amounts of money, I would characterize it as a fluff only activity at this point. We should increase the Outdoorsmanship from fishing to be on par with mining, at least, if we want there to be any reason at all to do it.
Re: Will the skinning experience from fishing be increased after the mech split is complete? 05/26/2015 01:59 PM CDT
>We should increase the Outdoorsmanship from fishing to be on par with mining, at least

You can be injured and killed mining. There's no risk to your health going fishing. But yeah a little uptweak in experience would be nice. (Or a % chance that you land a man eating leviathan that takes exception to your fishing.)

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Will the skinning experience from fishing be increased after the mech split is complete? 05/26/2015 02:08 PM CDT
>> You can be injured and killed mining. There's no risk to your health going fishing. But yeah a little uptweak in experience would be nice. (Or a % chance that you land a man eating leviathan that takes exception to your fishing.)

Short Term Solution: Make fishing teach straight Outdoorsmanship, removing fish from line gives small bump of Skinning, and obviously cleaning/gutting the fish makes sense to teach Skinning as well.

Long Term Solution: Introduce deep-sea fishing, and make it as dangerous (or more dangerous) than mining is currently, with chances for pulling up sea monsters that thrash about and must be killed. Could introduce a rare material or two here if desired, or just have a chance for these critters to have swallowed chests of pirate booty. Teaches Outdoorsmanship primarily, Skinning for gutting the beasts, and possibly an avenue for Outfitting (making/reparing rigging) and Engineering (repairing shipboard cranes and scales).

I

"Could be worse, I could agree with Pureblade." ~ Samsaren
Re: Will the skinning experience from fishing be increased after the mech split is complete? 05/26/2015 03:10 PM CDT
<<Long Term Solution: Introduce deep-sea fishing, and make it as dangerous (or more dangerous) than mining is currently, with chances for pulling up sea monsters that thrash about and must be killed. Could introduce a rare material or two here if desired, or just have a chance for these critters to have swallowed chests of pirate booty. Teaches Outdoorsmanship primarily, Skinning for gutting the beasts, and possibly an avenue for Outfitting (making/reparing rigging) and Engineering (repairing shipboard cranes and scales).

This would be a fun mechanic for a quest. A three-hour tour on a fishing boat, suddenly you are attacked be a leviathan/monster. You kill it, but it trashes your boat. So you end up on a deserted island and have to find a way home.

Nikpack
Re: Will the skinning experience from fishing be increased after the mech split is complete? 05/26/2015 03:47 PM CDT
>This would be a fun mechanic for a quest. A three-hour tour on a fishing boat, suddenly you are attacked be a leviathan/monster. You kill it, but it trashes your boat. So you end up on a deserted island and have to find a way home.

I see what you did there, Skipper.

You say to Tathalus, "Have you ever tried to clean a troll den? The smell sticks around for years to come."
Liev says, "That is my cue to leave."
Re: Will the skinning experience from fishing be increased after the mech split is complete? 05/26/2015 03:55 PM CDT
>>I see what you did there, Skipper.

You can build a gwethdesuan out of a coconut, but you can't fix a hole in a boat.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Will the skinning experience from fishing be increased after the mech split is complete? 05/26/2015 06:40 PM CDT
>>You can be injured and killed mining. There's no risk to your health going fishing. But yeah a little uptweak in experience would be nice. (Or a % chance that you land a man eating leviathan that takes exception to your fishing.)

To be fair, mining actually produces something people want. I view fishing more like collecting piles, only more boring and spammy. No offense, system made two decades ago, I'm sure you meant well at the time!

Would be cool if fishing is the way some food is gathered for the cooking subcraft of alchemy, though. Then you could risk people being pulled into lakes and devoured by angry piranhas. KODIUS ARE YOU LISTENING?!

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Will the skinning experience from fishing be increased after the mech split is complete? 05/26/2015 06:56 PM CDT
>>Would be cool if fishing is the way some food is gathered for the cooking subcraft of alchemy, though. Then you could risk people being pulled into lakes and devoured by angry piranhas. KODIUS ARE YOU LISTENING?!

Do this please.