Big fish 12/28/2012 05:12 AM CST

Are there plans to make bigger fish that teach higher? I could get into some big game fishing, having them jump out of the water and what not. Some of these fish might only be found in open waters or in some quiet cove or migrate through at different times of the year and some may only bite at night.

The bigger fish might include tuna, marlin, shark, ray, squid, or any number of leviathons. Bagging these trophies might be a lil dangerous getting them landed but the rewards would surely be worth it.
Re: Big fish 12/28/2012 06:35 AM CST
I love this idea!

You're going to get a bad reputation if you go around pinching every spectral reaper you see.
Re: Big fish 12/28/2012 06:39 AM CST
Fishing seems like a lot of fun, but I never really liked the idea of it being based off of just one very niche skill. With 3.0 I hope to try my hand at the activity, and I absolutely love the idea of getting some bigger fish on the catch-list :)

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Big fish 12/28/2012 08:55 AM CST
I think fish parts need to be put into crafting system some how that would make the system more usable.

needles for outfitting
for arrowheads
for bone armor
alchemy
cooking
etc

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Big fish 12/28/2012 02:26 PM CST
My own problem with fishing is the scroll. I really don't mind the messaging in my window, but I've always been annoyed at getting more than one fisherman in an area. I've had the chance in the past to do a couple of "Fishing Trip" events and I even have one on the calendar for January (<-shameless plug! :P) but these type of events are hard to make fun simply because of the flurry of scroll in the areas.

Actions which message the room has always been a bit of a pet peeve for me. So much so, that I have a list of actions which I think should not message a room anymore. Fishing reels and studying instructions/charts/etc. are at the top of that list.

That all said, I'd love to see something like the mysterious zaulguum. I think some "sport fish" would be nice too, things like marlin or some other type of sword/sail fish would be great. Sharks would be pretty neat, I think one of the quest or wedding areas has them already but more would be awesome. Just looking at the list on e-pedia it just seems to me that the ocean life is lacking compared to some of the river areas. Perhaps some large tuna like big-eye, yellowfin, and bluefin (all three can grow over 400lbs! Yum!) or something similar? The idea for rays is fantastic as well, I could totally picture this as a super hard catch. Any that I've caught in the past have been a real pain, the flat shape makes them hard to bring up to shallow enough water to hook with the gaff.

I also kinda want to throw in a drowned bird, would that be too much? Anyone who has taken a boat out around the coastline knows that both seagulls and pelicans will dive at your lines. If you've got any trolling lines out, they sometimes snatch the fast moving lures and you can easily not notice it until it's too late. :(

You're going to get a bad reputation if you go around pinching every spectral reaper you see.
Re: Big fish 12/28/2012 07:40 PM CST
hmm. wonder if you can catch and then zombiefy a merelew? :-)

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Big fish 12/28/2012 08:07 PM CST
>>hmm. wonder if you can catch and then zombiefy a merelew? :-)

Old news.

Next up is to catch and zombify a bunch of Ocular.

Re: Big fish 12/29/2012 01:10 AM CST
I agree the scroll is quite obscene. I think removing the messaging to the room would help.

I would love to see fishing work more like mining does (and I'm assuming the other gathering systems will be similar). Moderate-length hard RT, probably a lower 'success' rate than mining, given the nature of fishing. You can get lucky once in awhile and catch a rare fish. Different fishing spots could be assessed to see how good the fishing will be. Some of the crafting tie-in mentioned before were great!

I've always enjoyed the fishing system very much, it would be wonderful to see it get some love and be better integrated!

GENT
Re: Big fish 12/30/2012 05:54 AM CST
*All fishing gear should be craftable from the various crafts. Custom poles would be nice.

*There should be a bait selection and perhaps even some bait recipies, (this could get ugly).

*Fish types that inhabit specific areas, schooling fish, migrational fish, (salmon run).

*dangerous specimans such as electric eel, stone fish, stingray, jellyfish that would require gloves or else.

*Empaths should be able to fish, just not use a hook. (Did'nt say they would catch anything.)

*sea monsters, lake monsters, river monsters.

*A trophy taxidermist
Re: Big fish 12/30/2012 06:02 AM CST
> *Empaths should be able to fish, just not use a hook. (Did'nt say they would catch anything.)

Noodling, or Hand fishing.

Or just say screw it, this is a game, and should be playable for everyone, and release something stupid like 'sticky bait' that sticks the critters to the line through magic voodoo I don't care about replicating a hook, or just say 'hook is not sufficient to cause shock' and be done with it.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Big fish 12/30/2012 06:11 AM CST
>>Or just say screw it, this is a game, and should be playable for everyone, and release something stupid like 'sticky bait' that sticks the critters to the line through magic voodoo I don't care about replicating a hook, or just say 'hook is not sufficient to cause shock' and be done with it.

I did update fishing for X3 so that permashocked Empaths can fish with impunity. Non-permashocked Empaths will be able to fish as well; before they mechanically were prevented from fishing despite the shock. In X3 they just get a little shock along with their fish. In the new shock system, it's probably not enough to really hurt their Empathy too much unless they take up fishing as a professional trade.

Melete
Here as he walked by
On the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer
In the year of the Iron Toad
A nameless Dwarf
In a flash of genius discovered
The fundamental formula for
THE BEARD INTEGER
& cut it on a stone of this bridge
Re: Big fish 12/30/2012 07:51 PM CST
>>In X3 they just get a little shock along with their fish.

You haven't lived as an empath until you have bitten into a fish (or turtle), killing it, and getting shock for your efforts. Currently though the messaging for fishing is very guilt laden:

You feel a hard tug on your fishing pole.
You collapse from an intense pain deep in your soul that has shattered the delicate balance of your empathic skills.
You go into heavy shock!
You see a blue muskalundge looking at you as if from afar. Its face is covered in blood and its mouth rent in a jagged line. It almost seems to be aware of you and even seems to be asking, "Why?"
You drop your fishing pole in disgust!

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Big fish 12/30/2012 07:56 PM CST
>>It almost seems to be aware of you and even seems to be asking, "Why?"

Because you're tasty :(

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Big fish 12/31/2012 12:14 PM CST
If it were you in that sandwich, you wouldn't be laughing at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bJOIqVAD-s
Re: Big fish 01/08/2013 05:43 PM CST
Ugh. Let Empaths fish. What are they, vegetarians?
Re: Big fish 01/08/2013 05:51 PM CST
AFAIK, Empaths can become much better at ignoring their internal moral compass wrt fishing in 3.0 but hurting live stuff is hurting live stuff.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Big fish 01/08/2013 05:57 PM CST
Hey you can't even photosynthesize without making shade.
Re: Big fish 01/09/2013 08:28 AM CST
>Currently though the messaging for fishing is very guilt laden:

>You see a blue muskalundge looking at you as if from afar.
>It almost seems to be aware of you and even seems to be asking, "Why?"

lol

I mean, gets me right in the feels. Just need some swelling strings in the background.
Re: Big fish 07/02/2013 11:04 AM CDT
You step out onto the green lawn.
You collapse from an intense pain deep in your soul that has shattered the delicate balance of your empathic skills.
You go into heavy shock!
You see a blade of grass bent under your foot, if it could it would be screaming. Its blade is fractured and will no longer be able to feel the summer breeze. It almost seems to be aware of you and even seems to be asking, "Why?"
You take off your shoes in disgust!

har!