MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/10/2010 12:10 AM CST
MYTH TESTED: The evasion penalty is zero for any encumbrance in the NONE range. The evasion penalty then begins at one stone into the Light Burden range.

Ok, so I took Hanryu's advice and started experimenting with Encumbrance levels and their respective evasion penalties.

I've been using gobs of coins to adjust my burden to one stone above the threshold of the previous burden level, and then testing the evasion penalty. I was not wearing or holding any shields, armor, weapons, or parry sticks and I was using only pure Evasion stances for the tests.

Now according to a post by Dartenian on 4/15/09, the evasion penalty is supposedly zero as long as your encumbrance is in the 'None' range, and then the evasion penalty begins at 'light burden' and increases with each point of burden thereafter.

So, when I moved my character one stone into the 'light burden' range, I noticed that I was receiving about a 5% penalty to my evasion compared to holding no coins. I had hypothesized that since I was only one stone over the limit, the evasion penalty would hardly be noticeable. I was looking for something like 1% or less, so ~5% penalty was quite a bit higher that I expected.

This got me curious.

I decided to drop one stone to fall back into the 'None' range and then test my evasion penalty again. Supposedly, the penalty would fall back to zero. Interestingly, though, my penalty was still at 4-5%, even in the 'None' range. The evasion penalty continued to drop as I lowered my weight 20 stones at a time for the next 200 stones. Then, around 200 stones below my 'light burden' threshold, I was finally back to 0% penalty. Those 200 stones had all been in the 'None' range of burden.

Without further ado:

Since the 'NONE' burden range is supposed to have a 0% penalty all the way until it hits 'Light Burden', I would like to officially tag this MYTH as BUGGED!

Case-closed! :)
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/10/2010 12:18 AM CST
Just wondering but how did you find out you were being penalized at 5%?

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/10/2010 12:37 AM CST
>> Just wondering but how did you find out you were being penalized at 5%?

I used Hanryu's method from post 177.

Basically, I set my evasion to 100 and appraised a critter. Then I stanced down evasion until the appraisal of the critter difficulty increased by one level. I continued stancing down and recording the evasion percent for each increase in critter difficulty.

Then I increased my burden just enough to hit 'Light Burden' and then I repeated the test. This time the evasion percentages required for each critter level were higher. Then I increased by burden another level and tested again. I did this all the way up to 'Over burdened'

Basically, the increase in evasion percent for all critter appraisals increased by about 5% from None to just barely into 'Light Burden'. This was what I found odd, because if the evasion penalty really started at 'light burden', it should have started around 0% or 1% at the beginning of 'Light Burden' and not 5%.

I have more data as well, and can post it if anyone is interested.
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/11/2010 02:05 PM CST
I have to agree with the assessment that it is possible to have a penalty even with encumbrance: none showing. I always start my hunting trips with no wounds, all the same spells up. Recently I started hunting somewhere new, no problems being hit at all, at the start my gem pouch was totally empty. After returning to my spot the next day I was getting hit from the very beginning even though they couldnt seem to touch me the previous day. Again I had all the same spells up, no wounds to start with, the only difference is that I had more weight on me due to the fact that I was carrying about a third of a gem pouch. Again even though I was carrying more weight I still had no encumbrance. Assuming the same conditions I could only surmise that there must be some kind of penalty based on weight of items even with no encumbrance.

My solution was to drop everything I was wearing except what was absolutely essential for hunting purposes, ie armor/weapons/containers. After dropping the extra weight I again returned to the same spot and this time had no issues even though my encumbrance stayed the same again, that is none.
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/11/2010 06:32 PM CST
Rather than have som hidden cumbrance, why not flesh it out and list it on a larger scale?
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/11/2010 08:34 PM CST
Could always be some nonsense of some stat or parry or the Defensive value being penalized by encumbrance separately from evasion.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/12/2010 08:59 AM CST
>Could always be some nonsense of some stat or parry or the Defensive value being penalized by encumbrance separately from evasion.

This would be easy to test for with the app method.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/14/2010 02:57 AM CST
I think it's funny all this elaborate testing was done when Dart posted awhile back that there was a range in "none" where encumbrance was present. Surprised no one seems to remember it.
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/14/2010 04:51 AM CST
<<I think it's funny all this elaborate testing was done when Dart posted awhile back that there was a range in "none" where encumbrance was present. Surprised no one seems to remember it.

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Encumbrance_and_Evasion_-_4/15/2009_-_2:41:11

They're not ignoring the post, they're actually referencing it. They're saying there is a penalty in the none range of encumbrance, when there shouldn't be any. Though I tend to agree with another poster, that (if there is a problem) it might not be the none (but a little) encumbrance penalizing evasion, but actually penalizing another stat/skill, which hurts your defense anyways.

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/14/2010 04:47 PM CST
Nothing says the penalty has to start at 1%. Assuming that it does is entirely speculative and doesn't actually provide any evidence that there is an evasion penalty at "none"
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/14/2010 07:04 PM CST
It's entirely likely that there's a bug...

>describe boar
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/15/2010 12:30 AM CST
<< Nothing says the penalty has to start at 1%. Assuming that it does is entirely speculative and doesn't actually provide any evidence that there is an evasion penalty at "none" >>

Please read all of the previous posts carefully before commenting on a thread. While what you say is true, your comment was already addressed in the original post. It was not the 5% penalty that 'proved' to me that there was a penalty in the NONE range... it was the further research I performed afterward that Confirmed it. I'll state it again here for convenience sake:

When I noticed that the evasion penalty at the low-end of 'Light Burden' was at 5%, this got me curious to test whether there was any evasion penalty below 'Light Burden'. Theoretically, when I dropped 1 stone and fell back into the 'None' range, the penalty should have dropped to 0%. However, it did not.... it stayed around 5%. I continued dropping weight and testing the evasion penalty in the NONE range and watched it drop from 4% to 3% to 2% to 1% until I was 200 stones UNDER 'Light Burden', where it finally reduced to 0%.

Therefore, there was an evasion penalty range of 0% to 5% at the high-end of the NONE range, which is contradictive to Dart's post indicating there should be No penalty anywhere in the NONE range.

Some have suggested that Burden may in fact penalize another stat or skill besides evasion, but I would be inclined to believe that that would be a BUG as well since, as far as I can tell, no GM has ever mentioned a non-evasion related penalty caused by burden. That doesn't rule out the possibility that there is one, it just means I've never heard of it. If anyone has some information from some Red-names regarding burden and non-evasion penalties, that would be most helpful.
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/15/2010 01:18 AM CST
Maybe none is a range to...

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/15/2010 05:23 AM CST
>Maybe none is a range to...

It definitely is.

However Dartenian posted that the None range was changed to actually have no penalty from encumbrance.

Sounds like the change was reverted or modified based on this testing.

-pete
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/15/2010 05:25 AM CST
I think not many people are familiar with the post by GM Dartenian regarding Encumbrance changes in April 2009. I'll copy it here for everyone to read. This post is the reason I believe there is a bug with encumbrance. If this post never existed, I wouldn't have any issues with encumbrance right now.

* Encumbrance and Evasion ยท on 4/15/2009 2:41:11 AM Post: 161 *
Heyo!
When INFO / ENCUMB tells you that you have an encumbrance of none, it really means it now...at least in terms of evasion penalties. "None" is still a range, but as long as you are in that range, you will no longer take a penalty to your evasion skill due to your burden.
In addition, even when you do finally start taking an evasion penalty from burden, it will be less than it was before. Basically, the entire penalty scale has been shifted up to start with "Light" encumbrance, rather than starting at 1 point of burden and going up from there.
This change is live in Platinum and Prime. TF will follow once I am comfortable enough that this change hasn't broken combat (too much).
- GM Dartenian

So the way I understand this post... Prior to April 2009, Encumbrance "NONE" was a range of evasion penalties from 0% (when carrying 0 stones) to X% (when carrying one stone less than "Light Burden").

However, after April 2009, the entire encumbrance "NONE" range was replaced with a 0% penalty. The evasion penalty then began at 0% with one point of burden into "Light Burden" to Y% at the Light Burden/Somewhat Burdened Threshold.

The main issue is that during my testing, I found that the evasion penalty actually began around 200 stones less than "Light Burden", meaning the penalty still began in the "None" range, which it isn't supposed to. If the GM's changed it to this new model, that's fine, I would just have liked there to be an announcement to go with it. Otherwise, I think this is a bug.
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/15/2010 08:30 AM CST
My guess would be that the penalty used to start earlier in the "none" range, and when they made the change they introduced an "off by one error". But that's just wild speculation.

>describe boar
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/15/2010 08:55 AM CST
>>Please read all of the previous posts carefully before commenting on a thread. While what you say is true, your comment was already addressed in the original post. It was not the 5% penalty that 'proved' to me that there was a penalty in the NONE range... it was the further research I performed afterward that Confirmed it. I'll state it again here for convenience sake:

I usually do for some reason my eyes went tl;dr and jumped right over it.

You did bug this in the game, right?

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/15/2010 10:37 AM CST
>Some have suggested that Burden may in fact penalize another stat or skill besides evasion, but I would be inclined to believe that that would be a BUG as well since, as far as I can tell, no GM has ever mentioned a non-evasion related penalty caused by burden.

I don't think GMs have ever told us what burden penalizes. We don't usually find out about these things (like the penalties for being a gnome) until someone takes them out. Still, yeah, about as likely as a bugged value in combat... encumbrance just lives in a lot more systems than combat and that was the only one Dart touched.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/16/2010 02:31 PM CST
<< I usually do for some reason my eyes went tl;dr and jumped right over it. >>

No worries, it happens to the best of us. (I'll admit some of my posts can get lengthy, though I try to use lots of Paragraph breaks to spice things up... haha)

<< You did bug this in the game, right? >>

Actually, I haven't although I did post it in the BUG folder as well. I suppose an in-game BUG would draw more attention to it, since no GM's have commented on this thread yet.
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/16/2010 06:15 PM CST
>Actually, I haven't although I did post it in the BUG folder as well. I suppose an in-game BUG would draw more attention to it, since no GM's have commented on this thread yet.

The trick to getting GM attention is to post something inflammatory about Solomon's mother.

>describe boar
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/17/2010 12:33 AM CST
Solomon's mother so fat she couldn't dodge ... never mind.
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/17/2010 03:48 PM CST

Let's get back on topic, thank you.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/18/2010 12:28 AM CST
>>Let's get back on topic, thank you.

Looks like it worked. Mods will pass on all sorts of good information to GMs.

Now back on topic before Annwyl beats me to a bloody pulp...You have it on the forums, which is great. File a bug report just below the amount you need to have the penalty, and an addendum at the amount where you have the penalty. That's my two cents anyway.
Re: MYTH-BUSTED! Encumbrance bug found! 11/27/2010 09:25 AM CST
Good testing/job. Can't fix a problem when no one knows it exists.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the strength stat....does increasing strength result in a larger burden pool? So the 'NONE' range gets larger as you increase strength. (as does the light etc).

With that in mind maybe the start of the burden penalty was set staticly or just grows wrongly hence it creeps into the none range as you increase strength.

This is just wild speculation too, but if that were the case it would obviously be a bug.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html