Encumbrance question 04/11/2002 01:05 AM CDT
why does my heavy crossbow have more give me a heavy burden when I am holding it then when I am wearing it?
Re: Encumbrance question 04/11/2002 01:08 AM CDT
<<why does my heavy crossbow have more give me a heavy burden when I am holding it then when I am wearing it?>>

Ever go shopping with your wife and carry her packages? Clothes she can wear without noticing the weight is heavy when held in the hands instead of on the body.
Re: Encumbrance question 04/11/2002 01:11 AM CDT
<<why does my heavy crossbow have more give me a heavy burden when I am holding it then when I am wearing it? >>

I read that like 5 times....what are you asking?

Starkad
Re: Encumbrance question 04/11/2002 07:52 AM CDT
All items are more burdensome when carried than when worn. Each race is less burdened to a different degree by worn items.

-Gheist
Re: Encumbrance question 04/11/2002 08:04 AM CDT
Because the system does not differentiate. Any item which is worn gets multiplied by a racial factor. This factor is 55% for everyone except dwarves, halflings and gnomes who get 27%. The reduction itself is because things don't encumber as much when worn, just like FONTAINED2 said. The difference between the two is to represent the difference in the race's sizes.

Granted, I would like to see it reworked to be a bit more "realistic", from an Elanthian point of view not necessarily a RL one. Which for one thing means spreading the range a bit: 75% for gor'togs, 20% for gnomes and the rest spread out in between. For another thing, Items inside containers should add to the containers' weights and then the container figured appropriately. And, finally, different body locations should have modifiers. Some get bonuses, other penalties based on how little or how much they would affect general movement.

Maybe someday.
Re: Encumbrance question 04/12/2002 02:34 PM CDT
Probably some variant of the reason the bundle of pelts I just made won't fit into the backpack I just got the pelts out of...
Re: Encumbrance question 04/12/2002 11:02 PM CDT
I remember reading about this a while back. . .
The reason there's a difference when items are worn is to factor in that the clothing and the like a halfling is wearing is a lot smaller than the clothing of a gor tog. if an item is in a backpack, its considered to be the normal weight reguardless of whose backpack its in. If you take off your armor, it will be considered the normal weight since a gnome holding armor could still give it to a human to wear (and then would be considered heavier than gnome armor). Sure, its sort of a weak system, but it does the job O.K. I think. Hope I could clear that up a bit.
-Iseye