Can we please, please, please update the encumbrance messaging? 04/12/2015 10:49 AM CDT
I know it hasn't been changed in at least 15 years, and I would like it updated please.

'It's amazing you arn't squashed!'
Okay, I get it. But there are levels within it's amazing you arn't squashed! And I would like them divided up or remessaged. Please? I'd like to know what level I'm at, rather than having to guess all the time?

Here is my point, on my main character an elothean with 55 strength. She is always, and has always been at squashed! Now there's squashed! and there's levels of squashed! It might be that she trains 12 weapons and used to train LC, HC, LP, HP, and uhh leather, and heavy leather... and I'm sure there was something else. Yes I'm aware that now there's going to have to be a vault clearance or something, when I feel like it. When I feel like activating her. I still feel like a noob coming back.

Now I do understand, and I think most people do understand too that if you pick up something really heavy there's a chance of falling over or falling to your knees. Even if you're Lightly burdened and you pick something heavy enough you can fall over getting it.

My other suggestion if this isn't feasible/possible is to re-calculate burden so that so that everyone in the 'median' and 'heavy' ranges slide up the scale a little bit, and make it tougher for people to actually reach the squashed! state. I would leave 'light' and 'none' alone so that people genuinely know that they weight nothing!

Let me explain.
Ultimate squashed. You can't pick up anything else, you are just that deeply burdened. You fall over in your attempt and you just can't pick it up. I call this splattered pumpkin squashed. Maybe it needs to be renamed to weight of all Elanthia on your shoulders.
One level before ultimate squahsed. You can pick up one more... item. But you will fall over in the attempt. I haven't named this one.
One level before the previous. You can pick up an item but your gonna be on your knees or if your on your knees your going over.
Lowest level of squashed! You can pick up items without falling over but it's risky. Something heavy might tip you over anyway.
It's amazing you can move!

Thankyou!
Re: Can we please, please, please update the encumbrance messaging? 04/12/2015 11:21 AM CDT
I'm a little confused.

Do you feel that the phrase 'It's amazing you aren't squashed!' is too jarring and want to fix that or would you like some better precision in the various levels of burden (i.e. each level exists as a range and you're like to see those ranges made smaller.)

Or is it a combination of the two?

Nikpack
Re: Can we please, please, please update the encumbrance messaging? 04/12/2015 11:35 AM CDT
>Okay, I get it. But there are levels within it's amazing you arn't squashed! And I would like them divided up or remessaged. Please? I'd like to know what level I'm at, rather than having to guess all the time?

The names are made up but the points matter; there's no levels of encumbrance there's a discrete number, which knowing DR might just modify a percentage chance to fall over. I'd wager the messaging just reflects something like "5% of maximum" and isn't able to even guess at weather the next item is going to topple you or not

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Can we please, please, please update the encumbrance messaging? 04/12/2015 11:46 AM CDT
>>My other suggestion if this isn't feasible/possible is to re-calculate burden so that so that everyone in the 'median' and 'heavy' ranges slide up the scale a little bit, and make it tougher for people to actually reach the squashed! state.

My Gnome with 40 strength and 70 stamina is normally at light/somewhat burdened despite carrying around 3500-4000 stones of stuff at all times. The problem might just be that you're carrying around way too much heavy stuff.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Can we please, please, please update the encumbrance messaging? 04/12/2015 12:19 PM CDT
My Gnome with 38 strength and 40 stamina sits at none, except after a hunt where he might get to somewhat burdened if it's a long hunt. I pick up boxes and loot as I go and never drop bundles either. Sitting at squashed all the time is a strong indicator that you should do some inventory clean up, imo.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Can we please, please, please update the encumbrance messaging? 04/12/2015 05:26 PM CDT
>>Absolon: My Gnome with 38 strength and 40 stamina sits at none, except after a hunt where he might get to somewhat burdened if it's a long hunt. I pick up boxes and loot as I go and never drop bundles either. Sitting at squashed all the time is a strong indicator that you should do some inventory clean up, imo.

I agree. Open all of your containers, and type INV LIST for a list of everything you're carrying. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a huge bundle of skins or something that you had forgotten about.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Can we please, please, please update the encumbrance messaging? 04/12/2015 09:45 PM CDT

I just want to add my voice to this as well. I have a few plate pieces, some 10 boxes, four weapons, about 20 skins, and a bag full of herbs. With 31 strength and 33 stamina, I'm only somewhat burdened. I'd guess you have a few bundles or multiple sets of armor.
Re: Can we please, please, please update the encumbrance messaging? 04/12/2015 11:06 PM CDT
I'd like to just be able to weigh myself at MAMAs, for giggles.

>encum
Encumbrance : It's amazing you aren't squashed!

You rummage about your person, looking for something...

Your tight bundle is in a burlap game bag beaded with a simple design.
Your tight bundle is in your right hand.
Your tight bundle.
Your tight bundle.
Your tight bundle is in a sturdy leather saddlebag painted with stylized horses.
Your tight bundle is in a sturdy leather saddlebag painted with stylized horses.
Your tight bundle.
Your lumpy bundle.
Your tight bundle is in a worn grey hitman's backpack with fraying straps.
Your tight bundle is in a white canvas satchel stamped with bold red block letters.
Your tight bundle is in a white canvas satchel stamped with bold red block letters.
Your tight bundle is in an ocean-hued armor bag covered in beaded ocean scenes.
Your tight bundle.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Can we please, please, please update the encumbrance messaging? 08/16/2015 03:35 AM CDT

Yeah we could get messages like the following:

1. Your dead from your load but your brain just doesn't know it yet.
2. You would have encumbrance if you were alive but corpses don't know about weight.
3. Think your squished now. Wait till your awake.
4. You really didn't need legs did you?
5. Those things you thought were shoulders are just shattered bone now.
6. Dammit Jim I'm an empath not a miracle worker.
7. I told you not to get all 7 master crafting books at once! What are you going to do when the next 8 come out?

Yep I really could fill 20 pages with these... but well we really don't need them. But it might be fun to explore the depths or your squished self and see what new messages might appear. However, I think we should let them complete the 8 crafting areas that remain before we explore this. I'm sure with 5-6 more tools per area (40-48 new tools), and 8 more master crafting books and more ingredients, we will be able to explore huge mounds of squished encumbrance messages.

Your friendly neighborhood ranger man.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Can we please, please, please update the encumbrance messaging? 08/16/2015 11:24 AM CDT
>>However, I think we should let them complete the 8 crafting areas that remain before we explore this.

That's not how system development in DR works.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.