Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 02:10 PM CST
Here are two things that bother me that I just noticed.

1. This just bothers me for consistency reasons.
You sense that the kra'hei is not trained in the ways of magic.
There are no spells on the kra'hei.
The kra'hei is preparing Tingle.

2. Can creature AI be adjusted to where they don't actually know you are in the room with them when you are invisible?
>se
[Ehhrsk Highway]
Green lichen growing on the walls glows with an eerie light, providing a small amount of illumination. The darkness makes one part of the tunnels look the same as the rest. A faint reek of sewage fills the air, but the area is clean of everything but a few cobwebs. You also see a kra'hei.
Obvious exits: southwest, northwest.
>
A kra'hei traces an arcane sigil in the air.
>per kra'
You sense that the kra'hei is not trained in the ways of magic.
There are no spells on the kra'hei.
The kra'hei is preparing Arc Light.
Roundtime: 8 Sec.

Notice it started preparing that spell when I entered the room. I was invisible at the time, there was no reason for it to start preparing Arc Light, no one else was in the room.

Eldrad

"This spell channels the light-fire of the moons into a comfortable shoe, excellent for dinner parties, travelling, or combat."
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 03:19 PM CST
First one is definitely a bug, on the list.

Creatures can absolutely prep spells like that without a target and should only be using visible targets.

So highly likely to be intentional there.

Talian
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 03:59 PM CST
Creatures can absolutely prep spells like that without a target and should only be using visible targets.

So highly likely to be intentional there.

Is that just an OOC decision so they have a chance to get spells off before a player comes in and kills them? (like how players do)
Because IC I don't see why they would prep an offensive spell with seemingly no one around.

Eldrad

"This spell channels the light-fire of the moons into a comfortable shoe, excellent for dinner parties, travelling, or combat."
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 04:32 PM CST
>Because IC I don't see why they would prep an offensive spell with seemingly no one around.

Because for some reason his relatives keep getting slaughtered in the same area? Might be a bit more wary. I always imagiend Kermoria(sic?) was a penal colony for critters. They keep shipping us their miscreants for us to kill.

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Make Me Feel Better... Visit http://www.zairius.com/fractals
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 04:53 PM CST
Same reason I prep MB while standing in the Adan'f safe spot before walking into the area proper.

Same reason when shadow masters invade and I was prepping Dazzle, popping into their room casting and running was working so well into I popped into the room with one of them that had done exacly what I'd been doing and DO'ed my head clean off.

-Mozzik

You say, "I'm being killed by classes myself..."
Westryl picks up classes.
Westryl grows fierce looking and appears ready to brawl!
You ask, "This is going to hurt isn't it?"
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 05:02 PM CST
So I was right, it's so they can anticipate.
I think that is a little different than in the case of players who enter the area, as opposed to the creatures who are in there and just guessing that someone is going to come in looking for trouble.

I guess it's needed though, to help even the odds.

Eldrad

Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 07:10 PM CST
>>Talian>>Creatures can absolutely prep spells like that without a target and should only be using visible targets. So highly likely to be intentional there.

>>Eldrad>>Is that just an OOC decision so they have a chance to get spells off before a player comes in and kills them? (like how players do) Because IC I don't see why they would prep an offensive spell with seemingly no one around.

You telling me you never have a melee weapon out, bow loaded and ready or a spell prepped as you enter a hunting ground, ready to go? I know I do one or more of the above, don't see why a critter expecting possible trouble to arrive (the disappearance of their brethren every time PC's show up would be a big clue) wouldn't do the same.

It's not because they know you're in the room. It's because they expect someone is probably in the area. They likely do it even when we're not there to see it, but since we're not, we don't know. Kinda like the "how do you know the fridge light goes out when the door is closed if you can't see through the door" kind of deal.

<ponders>

Wonder if a MM could Shadewatch Mirror one of them or something along those lines, test the theory out ...

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 07:45 PM CST
Well I already agreed that is why they do it, so I'm cool with it, but since you posted Krin I'll explain why I don't agree with it from an IC perspective.

No body and no creature would go around in its daily routine preparing an offensive spell over and over 'just in case'.
You certainly don't see player characters or NPCs who represent the people of Elanthia doing it all day long while they are in town.
Players only prepare spells ahead of time when they are going hunting. Creatures don't go 'hunting', if they do it is called an invasion.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with it because I see the OOC reasoning, I'm just surprised I seem to be the only one who realizes it wouldn't be this way realistically.

Eldrad

Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 07:51 PM CST
<<Players only prepare spells ahead of time when they are going hunting. Creatures don't go 'hunting', if they do it is called an invasion.

If you're in town during an invasion, do you prep spells? Critter "homelands" are in a pretty constant state of invasion by PCs.

GM Westryl, Moon Mage Liaison
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 07:59 PM CST
<<If you're in town during an invasion, do you prep spells?>>

Nah, typically I'm too busy lying around dead from whatever uber-GMNPC or critter decides to shoot me before I enter the room.

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 09:09 PM CST
>>Eldrad>>No body and no creature would go around in its daily routine preparing an offensive spell over and over 'just in case'.

Just because you have the OOC knowledge that IG critters don't have any actual skills, per se, doesn't make it any less IC that a critter would cast its magic over and over to work its magical ability (like characters do sitting in front of their Guilds, day in and day out).

Your problem with the IC nature of this is due to your OOC knowledge. Let go of that knowledge and look at it through your character's eyes instead of your own and it will make a lot more sense.

~~~Krin
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 10:12 PM CST
Let go

Okay, I was hearing Obi Wan in my head there for a second. :P

Anyway, as to the rest of the post, that is a decent point.

Eldrad

Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/16/2003 11:51 PM CST
>>Kinda like the "how do you know the fridge light goes out when the door is closed if you can't see through the door" kind of deal.

I've done experiments. I know. By the by, if you don't take a jacket, it gets a little chilly in there.

~Katrenos
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/17/2003 01:13 AM CST
>>Katrenos>>I've done experiments. I know. By the by, if you don't take a jacket, it gets a little chilly in there.

Personally, I would have gone with cutting a peephole in the door, but hey, if it works ... thanks for the confirmation. :-D

~~~Krin
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/17/2003 11:45 AM CST
Soitanly! Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

~Katrenos
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/17/2003 11:46 AM CST
<<Nah, typically I'm too busy lying around dead from whatever uber-GMNPC or critter decides to shoot me before I enter the room.>>Drongol's Player

good one.

~Clinging to an inaccurate belief about roleplaying and DR will only lead to disappointment, I'm afraid ~ GM Vendarin
Re: Kra'hei (probably all magic using creatures) 12/17/2003 08:47 PM CST
I never thought of hunting grounds as critter homelands. I mean, did anyone ever go out the west gate in xing and see a pregnant goblin popping out a litter of the little beasts? Ever catch em sitting around, building a fire, cooking some tog steak? Also, notice how they've all got weapons and armor on (the weapon carrying and armor wearing ones anyway). I always thought of hunting grounds as being on the fringe of the critters homelands where they send their warriors out to defend their borders, and we in turn are defending ours in an ever so bloody reciprocity. Just my thoughts on the matter though.

-Accipam