Arcane Magic 01/03/2003 03:39 PM CST
Arcane Magic seems to be functioning how they have intended it for the most part. I'm sure there are still some things they (GM's) want to fix up, but from my perspective it seems to be doing well.

I think the major problem that people percieve to be the issue with this type of magic is that it's ability to destroy limbs when you fail to cast it correctly. The issue is not with this mana type at all. It works the same for all mana types. I don't know how many other people have used opposite mana types outside thier own guild type. I know that as a War Mage when I used a Rejuv rune, I actually blew my limbs off as well. I have very good magic skills, but I just tried to mix the mana types by infusing far to much of my own mana type (harnessed 80 mana). People only see the new critter magic as a bad thing becuase it's new, different and fun to use.

I personally wish there was more to it than just the limb damage. Perhaps falling asleep, knocked out, stunned, removal of limbs, eye's, and even death from terribly overextending your ability to use spells correctly.

If you use these spells, and ever other outside of your normal mana type spells, within your ability, there is no reason they can't be viable options and tools for your character to use. Some things just dont' mix either, take beer and liquor for example. <grin> Your body reacts to the mixture of beer and liquor in your system, the same holds true for Holy mana and Elemental, it just doesn't care much for it and there are limits to your ability to mix them, often with terrible consequences.

Once you become more skilled in magic, you'll be able to use the Arcane Magic better, but by no means should you ever be immune to backlash from mixing.

Sabashtin..
Re: Arcane Magic 01/03/2003 03:49 PM CST
>>Once you become more skilled in magic, you'll be able to use the Arcane Magic better, but by no means should you ever be immune to backlash from mixing.

Exactly.

I'm hardly skilled in magic, but I do have the firm belief that the GMs made these spells into scrolls because they want players to use them.

I can't see myself wanting to use these spells when they really don't offer enough to warrant the risk of "Oops, four very heavy bleeders I can't tend!". I'd rather just use spells of my own magic type that offer the same results without the risk.

It's limiting a very interesting system because the interest in it comes from not the spells being massive impliments of war, but fun variations of what one would already have anyway.
Re: Different Arcane Magic Influx Effects: LD 01/03/2003 04:40 PM CST
<causing you to wince out in pain!>

how the hell do ya wince out?

Blasword, wincing out since...whenever.
Re: Different Arcane Magic Influx Effects: LD 01/03/2003 05:25 PM CST
Like five new posts deeply detailing everything and the best reply is 'what does this one minor sentence which has nothing to do with anything real at all mean?'?

Well, at least I remember why to avoid being productive.
Re: Arcane Magic 01/03/2003 07:12 PM CST
<<I have very good magic skills, but I just tried to mix the mana types by infusing far to much of my own mana type (harnessed 80 mana). >>

On a side note, I've cast Rejuve probably 10 times in the last two weeks, and have never had any kind of backfire. Based on what you've reported here, I suspect it's because I used cambrinth, and have the skill to cast at over the cap for the spell, so did not trigger a backfire. My guess is the cap is around 75-80, and the moderate width devices will cast at 15-20 at glaring with brilliance, so trying to add more than 60 mana could be problematic.

Heironymous
Re: Arcane Magic 01/03/2003 07:16 PM CST
I don't mix mana when casting Arcane spells, my arms still fall off. :(
Re: Different Arcane Magic Influx Effects: LD 01/03/2003 08:48 PM CST
>>Well, at least I remember why to avoid being productive.

I read through your posts, Pureblade, and...I agree with you (man, that was hard to say). Even IF my character were inclined to pick up illegal magicks, the arms-to-dust factor just isn't worth it. Your proposals add what I feel is a varied, interesting, and appropriate price.

The only thing I might change from what you suggested is allowing EMA to do harm to the creature, as that would make it almost if not totally unusable by Empaths. Unless, of course, this particular harm doesn't cause shock (it's just like accidentally stepping on an ant....right?).

~Serienna
Re: Different Arcane Magic Influx Effects: LD 01/03/2003 08:56 PM CST
>>Unless, of course, this particular harm doesn't cause shock (it's just like accidentally stepping on an ant....right?).

Yea, total accident. :)
Re: Arcane Magic 01/04/2003 02:31 AM CST
>>On a side note, I've cast Rejuve probably 10 times in the last two weeks, and have never had any kind of backfire. Based on what you've reported here, I suspect it's because I used cambrinth, and have the skill to cast at over the cap for the spell, so did not trigger a backfire. My guess is the cap is around 75-80, and the moderate width devices will cast at 15-20 at glaring with brilliance, so trying to add more than 60 mana could be problematic.

Heironymous<<

I was mearly pointing out the fact that it was possible to damage yourself by mixing Elemental magic and Holy magic, not just by mixing Arcane Magic and any other mana type. Also, it was just straight harnessing, no cambrith.

>>I don't mix mana when casting Arcane spells, my arms still fall off. :( <<

In essence you are mixing mana types when casting spells outside your bodies ability to regulate a type of mana you are accustomed to.

Sabashtin..
Re: Arcane Magic 01/04/2003 06:39 AM CST
>>In essence you are mixing mana types when casting spells outside your bodies ability to regulate a type of mana you are accustomed to.

And since Arcane magic doesn't really offer anything other than pretty colors, it makes the spells hard to be desired for me. I wish I kept chill spirit memorized. :\
Re: Arcane Magic 01/04/2003 05:14 PM CST
>I wish I kept chill spirit memorized.

I've got a scroll for sale.

~Lairis
Re: Arcane Magic 01/04/2003 06:06 PM CST
>I don't mix mana when casting Arcane spells, my arms still fall off. :(

your wrong, you are mixing mana types thats why your arms go boom, it is impossible not to mix mana types using an arcane spell because it uses two types of mana and you can only channel one type.

You use holy mana, lets say the spell is holy and elemental, okay you pump full of 100% holy magic, piss off the elemental part of the matrix and boom goes your hands

and in the case of EMA you have niether type of magic :p
Re: Arcane Magic 01/04/2003 06:29 PM CST
> You use holy mana, lets say the spell is holy and elemental, okay you pump full of 100% holy magic, piss off the elemental part of the matrix and boom goes your hands

But there's only one mana type there, so no mixing. In both arcane magic and most cross-guild casting, the matrix is expecting a mana type that it doesn't get, but no player can actually mix mana types.

Seldaren
Re: Arcane Magic 01/04/2003 07:06 PM CST
>>But there's only one mana type there, so no mixing. In both arcane magic and most cross-guild casting, the matrix is expecting a mana type that it doesn't get, but no player can actually mix mana types.

Simple response: Matrix is designed to handle mana type A, you infuse it with mana type B. Mixing mana does not mean just using only one type of mana in a spell designed for two, but using a different type of mana in a spell not designed to work with it.

Some comparisons (not necessarily accurate, just potentially similar real-world situations) might be using a DC power source for an appliance designed for AC power, without using a converter. Using a 9 volt battery in a device designed to use 2 1.5 volt D cells. Using 4 1.5 volt AA batteries in a device designed to operate off of a 6 volt lithium battery.

So, using my weak analogies above, I tend to think of non-guild spells as using different voltages/types of power, and the potential for having the device (spell) blow up in your face is just one likely result of "forcing to fit".

~Kyn
Re: Arcane Magic 01/04/2003 07:13 PM CST
> So, using my weak analogies above, I tend to think of non-guild spells as using different voltages/types of power, and the potential for having the device (spell) blow up in your face is just one likely result of "forcing to fit".

Oh, I agree with this. I think the only difference is that I wouldn't call this "mixing mana types". Mixing the mana type for me would be somehow sending both AC and DC into the device simultaneously.

Seldaren
Re: Arcane Magic 01/04/2003 09:37 PM CST
well if you want to look it up or not, Damisaak said somewhere that all arcane magic run on mix mana types, because a normal player cannot used mix mana they spell matrix will always have an inconsitancy because its not using the mana that it needs

don't know how to explain any other way but that, but I can try. arcane spell uses AB mana, you use Aa mana your friend uses Bb mana, you try to infuse Aa into the AB spell and the portion of the spell that requires B mana will be unstable because its using A type of mana instead, this causes the whole thing to be unstable. Likewise with AB and Bb mana
Re: Arcane Magic 01/04/2003 09:39 PM CST
>>don't know how to explain any other way but that, but I can try. arcane spell uses AB mana, you use Aa mana your friend uses Bb mana, you try to infuse Aa into the AB spell and the portion of the spell that requires B mana will be unstable because its using A type of mana instead, this causes the whole thing to be unstable. Likewise with AB and Bb mana<<

So basically it's like blood. Some blood just doesn't mix well with others and then you start having problems.
Re: Arcane Magic 01/04/2003 09:42 PM CST
err... just thought of this <g> to keep with the whole AC/DC thing.

lets say that you have a device, this device requires two forms of current, one is DC the other is AC. Now if you only have alternating current, without using an adapter or converter you'd have to apply the current two both the AC and the DC part, this can possibly make the whole device just go boom.

okay its late, I tried, I probably won't be able to understand this in the morning
Re: Arcane Magic 01/05/2003 08:55 AM CST
Suffice to say, though, I believe the penalty for the spell going wrong is too high.

Right now there are two paths.

1) Spell works
2) Arms fall off

There's no "spell goes haywire, but you are able to unravel the pattern in time", "spell goes haywire, but you instead of letting it run wild you force the energy to backwash you, stunning you", "spell goes haywire, but you still manage to complete the pattern" and so on.
Re: Arcane Magic 01/05/2003 09:33 PM CST
> well if you want to look it up or not, Damisaak said somewhere that all arcane magic run on mix mana types, because a normal player cannot used mix mana they spell matrix will always have an inconsitancy because its not using the mana that it needs

This is actually exactly what I was saying. The problem isn't caused by mixing mana, but rather by a failure to mix mana. It looks like we were both agreeing with each other but just not realizing it.

Seldaren