LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/01/2003 10:46 PM CST
Here's the goods. Thanks to Tarshan for finding the spell, Blasword for being the first to get the full reading of it first, Antipater for getting the scholarship boost, and Illonis for healing all the incinerated limbs.

BASIC INFORMATION:

The yellowed scroll contains a complete description of the Limb Disruption spell.

"An ancient spell that was previously lost for ages, Limb Disruption is a violent form of targeted magic. Death is not easy to achieve since this unstable sorcery can not be directed at vital locations such as the head or chest, but it is highly suited for inflicting devastating amounts of damage to your victim's legs and arms. A perfect spell for anyone wishing to deliver massive pain upon his target, or for those who delight in the tactical advantage of blasting the opponent's feet out from beneath him."
Roundtime: 15 sec.

You have learned Limb Disruption [ld] from a scroll and must maintain at least rather more than half your normal attunement to keep it. (~70/134)

Min prep: 8
Max prep: 40
Personal cap: ~30 (with 350PM/340Harness)

VISUALS:

You gesture at a blue-belly crocodile.
A purplish, bruise-colored stream coalesces in the air next to your head, then explodes into fragments of mauve and violet that race toward a blue-belly crocodile!
The churning wave of colored light slams into its right arm, landing a very heavy hit!
Roundtime: 1 second.

You gesture at a blue-belly crocodile.
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
A purplish, bruise-colored stream coalesces in the air next to your head, then explodes into fragments of mauve and violet that race toward a blue-belly crocodile!
The churning wave of colored light slams into its left arm, landing a very heavy hit!
The blue-belly crocodile is lightly stunned!
Roundtime: 1 second.

Pureblade gestures at a blue-belly crocodile.
With a glare, a blazing red light sparkles in his eyes!
A purplish, bruise-colored stream coalesces in the air next to his head, then explodes into fragments of mauve and violet that race toward a blue-belly crocodile!"
The churning wave of colored light slams into its left arm, landing a very heavy hit!

COMMENTS:

The spell can be fine targetted, but only on limbs. There is a level of irony with being told "you can't fine target this spell" when aiming at the chest of the critter, because generally the fine targets would be things like limbs and eyes.

The damage caps rather quickly. This is because limb damage caps out around extremely heavy or something like that. So I really didn't see much of a difference in what I prepped at.

The spell DOES cause very small nerve damage. By the time a croc was dead, it would have minor twitching.

The spell makes arms explode less than Mana Disruption but more than Energy Manacles (at least for Holy magic users).

The spell looks like the mirror of smite foe. Summons a stick instead of a hammer that hits a limb instead of the chest.

"With a glare, a blazing red light sparkles in his eyes!" I want all my spells to be cast with that, damnit.

The spell doesn't seem to unbalance, which is odd since it's made to hit limbs. I would have expected that.

The spell isn't a very effective attack spell, even though it isn't meant to be a killing spell in it's discription. I'd rather just FS/TKT/CHS/etc the target instead.

I really do hate the new 'influx of mana blows you up good' rule. I can see that being needed in Mana Disruption for what it does, but Limb Disruption isn't exactly an unbalancing spell.

RECCOMENDATIONS:

(As a sidenote. I only tested in crocs (darn 4-leggers), and tomorrow I'll test on goblins. So I can't say how it reacts to humaniods. But, I'd like to see these added to the spell. If they already got them and I find out tomorrow, I'm glad they're here.)

If it hits a limb/hand, it can knock the weapon out of that limb/hand.

If it hits a leg, it can trip the target.

Let it hit heads, and if it hits the head, it knocks them out for a bit.

A high prep summons more sticks/clubs/etc to bash limbs with. There needs to be a way to deal more than high-end heavy with this spell.

RESULT:

I like the spell. It's pretty fun even though it's not that powerful of a TM spell. The harness req is pretty much what I expected. The only big issue I have is the arm incineration part. I'd never use this spell because having four very heavy bleeders pop up on you randomly is very annoying/fatal.
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/01/2003 11:47 PM CST
Okay, where are the sticks/clubs/boards with nails in them you're talking about? All I see in your descriptions is a wave of cerul--erm, purple light.
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/01/2003 11:49 PM CST
To me, the stream of energy forming next to the caster's head when the spell is cast is stick-like. :P
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/02/2003 02:56 AM CST
How often do you get the backfire effect from using spells like these? Does there seem to be any way of lessening it with skill?

The only problem I see with these kinda spells is the reserve to keep them is incredibly high. It kind of makes them more of a fun thing to play with for a couple hours instead of a spell that one would try and keep in their mental library.
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/02/2003 04:48 AM CST
>>Pureblade gestures at a blue-belly crocodile.
>>With a glare, a blazing red light sparkles in his eyes!

You are SUCH a good Paladin.

~Serienna
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/02/2003 05:24 AM CST
>>How often do you get the backfire effect from using spells like these? Does there seem to be any way of lessening it with skill?

I never got the backfire effect with EMA. Then again, I had it when the spell first came out, and for all I know the backfire effect was 'tweaked' later on.

With MDIS, I got a backfire like 50% or more of the time.

This spell seems like 5-10% of the time. I cast a dozen or two at first with no problem, then burnt my arms twice in a row, then cast another dozen no issue.

I'd love to use Arcane magic, but the risks do not equal the rewards. The only spell that could possibly be worth the risk is MDIS, and even that spell is way too risky.
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/02/2003 05:25 AM CST
>>You are SUCH a good Paladin.

Best Paladin ever. I want sparkling red eyes now. Where's Shaunn...
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/02/2003 06:58 AM CST
2 things

1. you never posted your target so half of the things you said about how effective it is can be dismissed, if you have 30 target and are trying to blow up a crocs limb its not gonna be as strong as you hope it would be

2. Energy Manacles has a bug, apparently only mana type that will blow up his holy mana, mixing lunar and elemental don't backfire in anyway. I'm guessing this spell would be elemental and holy.
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/02/2003 07:31 AM CST
>>if you have 30 target and are trying to blow up a crocs limb its not gonna be as strong as you hope it would be

This would be correct except for one small thing.

The damage is being registered as if it was a real attack.

Light hit, good hit, strong hit, etc.

When dealing with limbs, damage through that kind of means caps out at like extremely heavy. This means that there's no way to do something like apoc damage with this spell.
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/02/2003 08:49 AM CST
>>Thanks to Tarshan

close enough :)

Thanks for posting the results. Be a long time before I'll ever be able to use it, and not sure its all that much worth it.. that's a lot of mana to hold in reserve for what it does. Be interesting to see what it does against harder critters too (and/or peoples).
Thanks for testing it. Hope ya have fun with it.

~Tanshar

ps, thanks to which ever GM was peeking in on our conversation last night.
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/02/2003 09:57 AM CST
That was how much mana Pureblade, a paladin character, had to hold in reserve.

Would the same hold true if it were,say, a WM or MM? or would the harness amount vary according to the guild of the character that invoked it?
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/02/2003 10:00 AM CST
Arcane spells are constant across guilds, as far as I know Gonif.

- Master Cleric of Harawep
Re: LIMB DISRUPTION: Close Analysis. 01/02/2003 01:16 PM CST
>>close enough :)

Woops! Tanshar. I knew that, heh.

And I'll be testing vs players today! :D