Hrm.. 06/03/2002 01:41 PM CDT
The parchment scroll says something about the Energy Manacles spell, but you can't decipher it.
Roundtime: 15 sec.

<hunts for scholarship CJ.. more to come>
Re: Hrm.. 06/03/2002 01:46 PM CDT
CJ was gutted... find me later for a scholarship prediction. Way more power there (until the caps of course come fallin' down... cause predictions are way over them right now...) Here's hoping for getting the prediction rewrite we've been promised for what five six years now? heh.

-Mozzik
Re: Hrm.. 06/03/2002 02:25 PM CDT
The parchment scroll contains a complete description of the Energy Manacles spell.

"The Energy Manacles spell creates a set of magical chains that fly toward your target. If it does not dodge in time, the manacles will snap together, immobilizing them. This spell is an Evocation Sorcery, which is a combination of Lunar and Elemental magics, so be warned that it's possible to hurt yourself when casting."
Roundtime: 15 sec.

You have learned Energy Manacles [ema] from a scroll and must maintain at least rather more than half your normal attunement to keep it.

Mind Prep : 5

That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You begin chanting a prayer to invoke the Energy Manacles spell.

You gesture at a black-backed jackal.
A myriad of brilliant purple lights coalesce from your fingertips and dart toward your target with a feverish speed!
The lights begin to drip like liquid, then solidify into tight bands of crackling energy around the black-backed jackal!
The bands snap around it, leaving it bound!
The black-backed jackal falls to the ground!
Roundtime: 2 seconds

The pulsating bands surrounding a black-backed jackal's body crackle with purple flashes.

effect: immobilizes, makes target lie down.

What others see

Pureblade gestures at a black-backed jackal.
A myriad of brilliant purple lights coalesce from his fingertips and dart toward a black-backed jackal with a feverish speed!
The lights begin to drip like liquid, then solidify into tight bands of crackling energy around the black-backed jackal!
The bands snap around it, leaving it bound!
The black-backed jackal falls to the ground!

Prep cap is under 15 for for ~300 PM

You gesture at Kelvena.
A myriad of brilliant purple lights coalesce from your fingertips and dart toward your target with a feverish speed!
The lights begin to drip like liquid, then solidify into tight bands of crackling energy around Kelvena!
The bands snap around her, leaving her bound!
Roundtime: 1 seconds

Kelvena's face becomes a portrait of determination as she breaks free of the constricting bands of purple light!
The constricting bands of purple light around Kelvena fade into nothingness.

Pureblade gestures at you.
A myriad of brilliant purple lights coalesce from his fingertips and dart toward you with a feverish speed!
The lights begin to drip like liquid, then solidify into tight bands of crackling energy around you!
The bands snap around you, leaving you bound!
Roundtime: 10 seconds

Pureblade cackles like a lunatic!

You struggle furiously, pushing against the pulsating bonds until they finally break apart, freeing you of your immobilization!
Your energized bonds crackle slightly then fade into nothingness, leaving you free to move again.
Roundtime: 3 seconds.

Seems to wear off faster on people.. that or she's better then a jackal :P

You gesture at Zernium.
The mana you were holding contributes to the spell.
The lights begin to drip like liquid, then solidify into tight bands of crackling energy around Zernium!
Zernium dodges out of the way as the bands snap together, leaving them binding nothing but air.
Roundtime: 1 seconds

Pureblade gestures at you.
A myriad of brilliant purple lights coalesce from his fingertips and dart toward you with a feverish speed!
The lights begin to drip like liquid, then solidify into tight bands of crackling energy around you!
You are able to dodge out of the way as the bands snap together, leaving them binding nothing but air.

When you try to break out but fail:

You try to break the bonds of energy with your will, but fail. The pulsating purple bands crackle wildly as if taunting you
Re: Hrm.. 06/03/2002 02:34 PM CDT
This spell is an Evocation Sorcery, which is a combination of Lunar and Elemental magics, so be warned that it's possible to hurt yourself when casting."

Hmmm well... hmm. Cast it a lot, I wanna see this <G>

-Mozzik

PS anyone know what critter ir's from?
Re: Hrm.. 06/03/2002 02:37 PM CDT
I got one too, was regurgitated by a baby caracal while I was hunting. Now my question, if it's partly elemental, can I learn it for real from the scroll?

Gizella
Re: Hrm.. 06/03/2002 02:38 PM CDT
No idea what kind of critter uses it.. but damn I want that spell memorized forever.

As a side note, I can't cast ANYTHING but Energy Manacles now. I forgot every other spell :(
Re: Hrm.. 06/03/2002 02:40 PM CDT
I'm callin' an early dibs on an energy manacles scroll... hehe. Just don't gouge me too bad I'm poor... but I've got plans for them... oh have I got plans <cackles>

-Mozzik
Re: Hrm.. 06/03/2002 02:42 PM CDT
next step for pureblade will be morphing into a dwarven insect.
Re: Hrm.. 06/03/2002 02:43 PM CDT
>>No idea what kind of critter uses it.. but damn I want that spell memorized forever.

>>As a side note, I can't cast ANYTHING but Energy Manacles now. I forgot every other spell :(

Is it a TM or semi-TM spell?

And I agree, sounds like a delicious spell to learn permanently, but I doubt anyone can because of the mix between different types of magic...

And does anyone have any idea how much this scroll will be going for, and how much scholarship is needed to read it?
Re: Hrm.. 06/03/2002 02:49 PM CDT
Okay, more on the spell.

WEILM asked if it was TM.

You can't target it, but I checked my exp, very muddled in TM. So I guess it is semi-TM.

The fact that I have 14 TM might be why it stinks for me, sorta.

It's pretty cool, actually :) I just wish I had my other spells. Then again, I can't lose too much mana or else I lose the spell <g>
Re: Hrm.. 06/06/2002 06:56 AM CDT
Greetings.

>next step for pureblade will be morphing into a dwarven insect.

Where do you think he will fit in the critter ladder then? *ducks and runs* (kidding)

Fafrahd the slinger
Hrm...DR 2: When NPC Shots Go Unaimed(Cross posted various places) 01/20/2004 10:48 PM CST
Ok...something needs to be looked at with a few things that I've recently come to notice. As the title states, there's got to be something wrong with the way creatures are targeting ranged and magic attacks. If not, it's a little more than a little unbalanced, IMO.

Example one -
Last night's invasion in Shard. I walk into a room and almost immediately get shot by a raider, loosing my leg. I survived. The gang of bad guys was killed. Until another steps in, and it looked something like this.

A raider just arrived!
A raider fires his crossbow at you, demolishing your abdomen. You're dead.

Which I figured, big deal. I know thugs don't have to target their ranged - but then again, thugs don't really hurt like that did.

i got over it.

until...

Example two -
Twenty minutes ago. Shard. Adan'f mage and I are going toe-to-toe. It's hands light up, doing it's thing. I jump into hiding, ambush it. Strangely enough, it doesn't seem to be impacted by spell prep hinderances. But it's not targeting me, so I just figured it was casting MB or TV on me. I can just ambush it and take care of business.

But then, pow, here comes the shadowy noose, slicing up my arm. Luckily I survived this instance, but it did damage my armor.

So here's my question...why don't they have to aim? I know when I want to use my bow I sure have to. I didn't even have time to blink in the time it took that raider to hit me. And in terms of the targeted, I remember them focusing on me before, as well as I know other critters (Frostweavers for example) have to.

Hopefully someone can take a look at this, and adjust it accordingly, or at least respond with the logical reason.

Storrmm

The Forester's Outpost - http://www.ashcomics.com/tfo.html