collecting piles 10/22/2017 08:56 AM CDT
Can we please please please have collected piles of foraged items appear in the "at your feet" slot? There's like one room in the province I can harvest this particular herb, and folks like to collect rocks there for some reason. Of course all collect times are the same, which means it doesn't matter when I forage, the rock collector is going to kick my pile before I can grab the herbs.

Yes I know I can just forage items one by one and not have to deal with this, and I do when I have to. It's just annoying that anyone can kick your pile before you can interact with it
Re: collecting piles 10/22/2017 11:03 AM CDT
>Can we please please please have collected piles of foraged items appear in the "at your feet" slot?

That would cause a lot of trips to the junk room for F2P characters and anyone who runs near the inventory count limit.
Not to mention, you wouldn't be able to leave the room yourself without picking up every item out of your pile and doing something with it.

What herb is it? It seems like a better request would be more locations to find that herb.

Documentation is a love letter you write to your future self.
Re: collecting piles 10/22/2017 11:37 AM CDT
>>That would cause a lot of trips to the junk room for F2P characters and anyone who runs near the inventory count limit.

AFAIK the pile would only count as one item.

>>Not to mention, you wouldn't be able to leave the room yourself without picking up every item out of your pile and doing something with it.

Or just kick it, right? IIRC, you can collect a pile of 20 widgets, take three, then still kick the rest of the pile away.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: collecting piles 10/22/2017 02:16 PM CDT
>AFAIK the pile would only count as one item.

That's assuming it's coded like a stacker and not just a temporary container holding X amount of collected items. It seems likelier that it's the latter.

>Or just kick it, right? IIRC, you can collect a pile of 20 widgets, take three, then still kick the rest of the pile away.

There isn't a way to kick away items in your inventory At Feet is there?

Documentation is a love letter you write to your future self.
Re: collecting piles 10/22/2017 02:31 PM CDT
>>That's assuming it's coded like a stacker and not just a temporary container holding X amount of collected items. It seems likelier that it's the latter.

I'm honestly not sure what makes it likelier to be the latter, especially since you can count the number of [item] in it and you're unable to rummage or look in it.

>>There isn't a way to kick away items in your inventory At Feet is there?

I don't know what would necessarily make the pile of X suddenly lose the functionality of kick just because it's at feet, but that's a coding thing I guess.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: collecting piles 10/22/2017 09:55 PM CDT
"kick pile" is not the only way to destroy your pile of rocks

if the rock collector would instead "kick rocks" they would only kick a pile of rocks and not someone else's pile of something else.
Re: collecting piles 10/22/2017 10:16 PM CDT
>>if the rock collector would instead "kick rocks" they would only kick a pile of rocks and not someone else's pile of something else.

This relies on the people causing the problem to change their habits, which isn't always possible.

Re: collecting piles 10/22/2017 10:24 PM CDT

It's also less efficient for the collector's scripts. If someone forages a bunch of random piles then they can't forage in that room without kicking them. You also have the people who like to drop a single rock and kicking reverts to it.
Re: collecting piles 10/23/2017 07:35 PM CDT
This just doesn't make any sense, sorry. I'm saying collected piles are in the "at your feet" slot, so they wouldn't be counted in the room when considering if it were too cluttered to forage. Also, the reason people "kick pile" instead of "kick rock" is exactly what you just mentioned. So people won't change their habits because trolls. There's no way to "own" a pile, so anyone can kick it, and since people just "kick pile" there's no way to get stuff from the pile you harvested before the next kick comes since everyone's roundtime is the same for collecting.

I'm just repeating myself now, and I'm sure it'll never change. I don't know why I bothered to post this.
Re: collecting piles 10/23/2017 08:57 PM CDT

I wonder if it wouldn’t be mechanically easier to allow guard pile as a way of protecting the one you forage up.
Re: collecting piles 10/23/2017 09:25 PM CDT
>>I'm saying collected piles are in the "at your feet" slot

Something to consider is the 'at feet' slot is part of your inventory. Meaning you're paying item and weight costs for such. With F2P having such tight item restrictions it IS an issue worth mentioning on the 'Con' side of the ledger. As for the rest of the debate, I'm not a coder so I can hardly weigh in on the mechanics side of things, but on the player side.. Getting the playerbase to change is like arguing with the tides - your odds aren't great. I'd try to find a less traveled spot myself, and if the foragable is so rare that's an issue, lobby for a few more locations for it.

Samsaren
Re: collecting piles 10/23/2017 09:42 PM CDT
>>Something to consider is the 'at feet' slot is part of your inventory. Meaning you're paying item and weight costs for such. With F2P having such tight item restrictions it IS an issue worth mentioning on the 'Con' side of the ledger.

I don't think piles of X count as multiple items. Based on how it functions, it appears to be a temporary one (well, probably two if I understand the mechanics properly) item stack.

I'd understand if collecting a pile ballooned your inventory count by one to two dozen items, but I don't think that's the case.

Re: collecting piles 10/24/2017 02:57 PM CDT
What about the other way around? A new command that makes the pile guarded or atfeet so the herb pile is protected instead of trying to change the default? Or even being able to drag (or sweep?) a pile to another area?
Re: collecting piles 10/24/2017 03:52 PM CDT
how about just removing the 'kick pile' command, and force everyone collecting piles to 'kick rocks' or whatever their pile type is?

this would be by far the easiest solution
Re: collecting piles 10/24/2017 04:19 PM CDT

> how about just removing the 'kick pile' command, and force everyone collecting piles to 'kick rocks' or whatever their pile type is?

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

I still want to know what can't be foraged except in one specific room where everyone happens to congregate. I'm guessing it can be foraged, but its preferable to have everyone else play around them rather than vice versa.
Re: collecting piles 11/18/2017 07:09 AM CST
> where everyone happens to congregate

I love the "go somewhere else" fix. That's like going to the doctor and saying it hurts when I move my arm, and the doc just tells me not to move my arm.

Anyway, as I explained, it only takes one person to stop you from picking up items from your own pile because the roundtime for everyone is the same. So someone's script that kicks and collects every 15 seconds is always going to kick my pile first because kick pile defaults to the first pile in the room's item list that matches. So it just takes one person trolling or scripting to stop me.

So yeah, there's another room I can forage for this stuff, but it's in another province. If I were a free player it wouldn't be an option. None of that matters, though. I just forage individually if I see someone kicking piles. The dev in DR is too slow to expect anything from this kind of QOL gripe. It just ain't the 90s anymore.
Re: collecting piles 11/18/2017 09:45 AM CST

> I love the "go somewhere else" fix. That's like going to the doctor and saying it hurts when I move my arm, and the doc just tells me not to move my arm.

No, it's like going to the police and saying that it bothers you when lots of people are around and loud music playing, so the police tells you that you should stop going to popular bars playing famous bands. You then say that you want to go to those bars, and you went to them before they were popular. Instead, you want the police to go to the bars and start checking anyone and everyone who may have a warrant so that it can return to the quiet days of just you and a few friends listening to the band. The police have better things to do, and the other patrons just tell you to find a new a bar that better fits your needs.