Spells and forgetting 04/30/2017 09:33 PM CDT
So.

A) Why can I pick up a spell (Pyre) I can't use for another 110+ ranks of TM? Why doesn't the system make some type of general 'hey, you won't pass the skill check for this, are you sure?' notification? Sure, I pass the level check, but not the skill check, and now I'm sitting on a waste of 2 slots.

B) Why is spell forgetting gated at 1 spell per 30 days, still? Throne is far enough out of the way that anyone who isn't a MM or paying for a pocket account wouldn't be running down there every 30 seconds to respec.

And even if we did...so what? I've never really bought that argument anyway.

I dropped misdirection because it was useless for me and picked up pyre because people love it. I could have used those two slots for something handy, like a mastery or a different spell, but now I have to wait at least 30 days. And I wouldn't really be irritated if either of the above were changed to be more user friendly.

I accept that we don't have many (any) active GMs right now due to real life and other things, but it would seem at face value turning the knob on TC down to 1 day/hour or something per spell would be pretty easy. It would also allow a lot more experimentation since you aren't basically stuck with a spell for life once you get it. I'd even be happy to pay a reasonable fee.
Re: Spells and forgetting 04/30/2017 09:56 PM CDT

A) Get a mastery feat and you can use it consistently around 170 ranks. Use an astrolab or find a good fire room and you can use it around 130-150. Or just keep trying to cast it at minimum until you get lucky enough to pull it off.

B) Yeah, I too would like this to be reverted. IIRC, one of the GMs decided that players were respeccing too often and made it so you couldn't... for reasons?
Re: Spells and forgetting 04/30/2017 10:50 PM CDT
>>Badgopher: B) Why is spell forgetting gated at 1 spell per 30 days, still? Throne is far enough out of the way that anyone who isn't a MM or paying for a pocket account wouldn't be running down there every 30 seconds to respec.

I like game designs where you have to make long-term decisions about your character.

However, I think there is a reasonable compromise between being able to respec all of your spells at will and what we have now, which can require years for a full respec.

Instead of there being a simple 30-day cooldown, I would prefer a system where unused spell forgetting rolls over from month to month. (For example, if I don't forget any spells in January, I'm allowed to forget two in February.) I would also allow guildleaders to wipe spells rather than requiring a day-time trip to Throne City.

This would allow periodic respecs but would prevent the frequent at-will respecs that would undermine the significance of making choices (not to mention the game balance considerations that underlie the decision to make spell slots less numerous than available abilities).

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Spells and forgetting 05/01/2017 08:32 AM CDT

@ISHARON

I see your point, but it feels like we're over-engineering the solution to a minor problem.

- People like respeccing.
- GMs don't want us respeccing so often, likely for the reasons you suggest.
- We should just find the right timeframe to respec. Maybe one spell a day. It's still out of the way to get to throne, so the intentional hassle is still there; however, for someone so motivated, they could swap all of their spells without having to worry about just circling more or temporarily dropping a few feats.
Re: Spells and forgetting 05/01/2017 03:16 PM CDT
>>B) Why is spell forgetting gated at 1 spell per 30 days, still? Throne is far enough out of the way that anyone who isn't a MM or paying for a pocket account wouldn't be running down there every 30 seconds to respec.

This is very frustrating, especially because the easiest way to make space for new spells is to forget multi-slot spells. So any sort of respec is made longer and more laborious.

I'd love to see it changed to a system where you can forget any spell you have not used for a set period of time. So if the threshold is set to 1 month, then I get the option to forget spells I have not used in that period of time.
Re: Spells and forgetting 05/01/2017 04:05 PM CDT

> I'd love to see it changed to a system where you can forget any spell you have not used for a set period of time. So if the threshold is set to 1 month, then I get the option to forget spells I have not used in that period of time.

I love the idea, but I imagine that's a coding nightmare due to the number of variables involved. You have dates, likely a shifting ID system, requirements, quests, etc... I'd much rather the restriction on the spell library be replaced. Maybe leave in the 30 day limit, but give you a 15 minute window to forget spells before the timer kicks in.
Re: Spells and forgetting 05/01/2017 10:19 PM CDT
> Why doesn't the system make some type of general 'hey, you won't pass the skill check for this, are you sure?' notification?

It should. Did you not get a scare prompt from your guildleader?

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: Spells and forgetting 05/01/2017 11:33 PM CDT
>Did you not get a scare prompt from your guildleader?

I'm pretty sure (can't remember if all the GL's work exactly the same) there's just messaging when you don't have enough slots, not when you don't have enough skill to cast it. Different guild but Esuin only warned me off spells I didn't have the slots for. He was more than happy to teach me spells I was 180+ ranks shy of.
Re: Spells and forgetting 05/01/2017 11:35 PM CDT
>>there's just messaging when you don't have enough slots, not when you don't have enough skill to cast it.

In stormfront, at least when I use the window to select spells, there's bright yellow text saying something about not having enough skill to cast it.
Re: Spells and forgetting 05/02/2017 12:10 AM CDT
>In stormfront, at least when I use the window to select spells, there's bright yellow text saying something about not having enough skill to cast it.

Ah yep, I completely forgot the clickable spell interface is even there. The GUI is behind other windows in my setup but it does have messaging to that effect. Too bad it doesn't also echo to the story window.
Re: Spells and forgetting 05/02/2017 12:19 AM CDT
The spell pick window is buggy as all get out, but it's also entirely possible that some (or all) bard guild leaders don't have the skill warning message (and should).

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: Spells and forgetting 05/02/2017 09:03 AM CDT

This question/conversation repeats semiannually.