Another plea to temporarily fix First Aid. 07/08/2015 12:18 AM CDT
For survival secondary/primary guilds, First Aid training is a major PITA to circling. Here are some suggestions to make life easier:

Some bandaids:

- Reduce the 20 minute timer from compendiums to 5 minutes. They already take 20 seconds per read, which is cost enough to train first aid. Why have a 20 minute timer?

- FIX the wound accumulation bug. Suppose I'm holding a bleeder on my chest with no internal wounds. I take a light hit to the chest, which suddenly causes the clean internal wound to match the level of severity as the external wound, giving me an internal bleeder. This bug has existed since the beginning of DR, and makes pet bleeders a major pain. This also applies to scars... for example, an empath has only a nerve scar, and casts HS to to heal it. Suppose it backfires-- a severe fresh nerve damage is then generated.

- Revert bandaging exp back to the old system. Back then the experience on tending wounds was front-loaded. You got the full amount as soon as you wrapped the bandage. This made practical sense. But people could unwrap, and then re-tend. For some reason this was considered abusive and it was changed so that you got almost no experience for bandaging a wound, and instead got experience over time as the wound was kept bandaged. This makes no realistic sense. The act of actually bandaging a wound should be what teaches, not keeping it wrapped up. Unwrapping a wound costs considerable Roundtime. What is the harm in an infinite source of xp for bandaging if it costs such a long time to unwrap it. Of course empaths could transfer a heavy bleeder and rebandage it as the severity reduces, but 1) there's no harm in Empaths having an extra edge of training because it's a hard requirement for them, and 2) even if it was a problem (emphasis: which it is not), simply change the mechanic so it doesn't unbandage as the wound drops in severity.

First aid is a skill with such a marginal utility, I don't see why training it has been so limited by timers and artificial bandage mechanics. If someone gets a bleeder, and wants to practice to mindlock before getting an empath to take it, there is nothing wrong with that. At best, keeping pet bleeders is unrealistic behavior, and at worse, getting a friend to cut you or exploding a log is even more unrealistic behavior.
Re: Another plea to temporarily fix First Aid. 07/08/2015 04:29 AM CDT
>>They already take 20 seconds per read

Just in case you or someone else reading this might not be aware, the time it takes to read is skill based versus the charts. It's possible to have 10 seconds on the low end and 60 seconds on the high end.

First aid does need some work. Good suggestions.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Another plea to temporarily fix First Aid. 07/08/2015 11:40 AM CDT
That sounds like a pretty good set of ideas. The idea back in the day seems to have been more to avoid, at all, costs, players doing anything that "no sane adventurer would do" in order to gain experience. Now, the paradigm seems to be a sane and consistent player experience first. So perhaps the time has come to change all of that.

I'm sure there are a list of ideas the GM's have that are just waiting for the 50 things ahead of them in priority to get out of their way. But this might be a nice band-aid, pun intended. I really hate having a skill as neglected as my FA is.
Re: Another plea to temporarily fix First Aid. 07/10/2015 10:48 AM CDT

>> - FIX the wound accumulation bug. Suppose I'm holding a bleeder on my chest with no internal wounds. I take a light hit to the chest, which suddenly causes the clean internal wound to match the level of severity as the external wound, giving me an internal bleeder. This bug has existed since the beginning of DR,

This is not completely actually true in regards to combat. Before 3.0 you could have a pet bleeder 24/7 and never get an internal wound in combat. When Kodius introduced 3.0 combat the bug was somehow reintroduced. It might be because pre 3.0 you were rarely hit in combat, and now even a glancing wound cause the bug. He addressed the issue and said it was part of the wound system which is hard coded, and not currently fixable.

>> Just in case you or someone else reading this might not be aware, the time it takes to read is skill based versus the charts. It's possible to have 10 seconds on the low end and 60 seconds on the high end.

According to epedia you need double the scholarship. So a 400 scholarship book takes 800 scholarship to read at 10 sec RT. But how well does a compendium teach FA at 800 scholarship when the book is only 400?
Re: Another plea to temporarily fix First Aid. 07/10/2015 11:56 AM CDT
>> Just in case you or someone else reading this might not be aware, the time it takes to read is skill based versus the charts. It's possible to have 10 seconds on the low end and 60 seconds on the high end.

>According to epedia you need double the scholarship.

Yes you need double for the 10 second RT, or there about, to consistently get 10 sec RTs. You can start get 10 sec RT before that at some % chance.

>So a 400 scholarship book takes 800 scholarship to read at 10 sec RT. But how well does a compendium teach FA at 800 scholarship when the book is only 400?

Well, technically it's by chart not by the book. Even with 1000s in both Scholarship and FA you still learn a little from even the silver leucro chart (the easiest one), but it's not much. It's better to have something closer to your range for EXP. The EXP starts to be lower once you can read the comp in one study at 10 sec. So really it's better to have some that take you longer than that.

My empath reads through multiple compendiums, starting with the easiest charts. (I don't really need to do the easiest ones, but it amuses me.) Most of my other characters just use one compendium which is at their skill range. The main problem is if you need the 400+ charts you can't get them year round, and you need an empath to go make a compendium for you during one of the fests.

TL;DR - You really only need the 400+ ones if you're near 800+ scholarship/FA. The others still teach decently before then.

Re: Another plea to temporarily fix First Aid. 07/10/2015 03:13 PM CDT
>> TL;DR - You really only need the 400+ ones if you're near 800+ scholarship/FA. The others still teach decently before then.

So... let's say im at 600 scholarship and 400 first aid. How long would it take me get first aid to mind lock assuming I had some of the festival compendiums up to 600 scholarship. Trying to get an idea if i should either bother with these things.
Re: Another plea to temporarily fix First Aid. 07/10/2015 11:21 PM CDT
There's a lot of factors like your skillset and mentals in play there. I don't know, I'd suggest trying it and seeing for yourself. Most of my characters have both locked in 15 min or less though. Tending bleeders is still faster, but compendiums you can always keep on you and don't hurt you in other ways.