Bonding potions 10/29/2013 05:35 PM CDT
We're blowing either LTB's or RL cash on them and the weapons they're attached to still poof. There is a perfectly workable game mechanic that the Paladins have that would solve all this nonsense.

You chuck your weapon, it comes back to you even if you're running like the wind away from it.

"You have the feeling that this piece of junk will be with you FOREVER."

The current system really seems centered around scamming us out of money. Please fix.
Re: Bonding potions 10/29/2013 05:51 PM CDT
"Sir, I've bought 3 of your Ford Fiestas, and none of them have let me compete in Formula 1 races. Please fix this, else you are scamming me out of money when I keep buying them!"

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Bonding potions 10/29/2013 05:55 PM CDT

Dude selling the ford fiestas didn't use words like 'never fail!' and 'fast as lightning!'

"Permanent bonding potion" "Be with you FOREVER"

I feel like there's some marketing genius twirling his oiled mustache and having a eureka moment.
"By Jobe I've got it! We make THROWING weapons GREAT...stay with me now. We make them lodge so you can't get them back easily then we marked bonding potions for them as 'permanent' little do they know..."
Re: Bonding potions 10/29/2013 08:29 PM CDT
I would also like to see bonding mechanics improve. A bonding potion should do everything possible to keep an item from being lost.

After all, items in this game can have a lot of significance, and the potions are an extra cost on top of that.
Re: Bonding potions 10/29/2013 11:22 PM CDT
lol yeah because if there's any problem with bonding potions, it is that they aren't overpowered enough already

Apu
_
Respect. Integrity. World Domination.
https://sites.google.com/site/apucorpdr/
Re: Bonding potions 10/30/2013 02:00 PM CDT
I wrestle with my own misconceptions of a bonded weapon, often. I've come to the realization that bonded weapons (and other items) ultimately help to prevent grave-robbing. They do not serve as a method completely* prevent item loss due to other sources, such as if the janitor decomposes my weapon or because I forgot to pick up my weapon while leaving a hunting ground. This idea has helped me considerable in deciding if and when I should ever bond something, often times this comes as a resounding NO for any thrown weapon.

Nikpack
Re: Bonding potions 10/30/2013 02:34 PM CDT
Personally I think the spirit of the bonding potion, and bonding ability is to KEEP the item, not to make an already damaging weapon a massive cyclic firing weapon of doom.

Just my opinion.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Bonding potions 10/30/2013 03:29 PM CDT
I'm still confused how people lose their weapons in the first place.

I mean, I know the typical ways they are lost and most of them seem entirely preventable with minor amount of work. I personally have bonded weapons and have never lost one. (Knock on wood.)

So what's the deal, bad scripts? Lack of players paying attention? An inquiring mind wishes to know!

Salute a drowned sailor? You ought to brush up on your protocol, Kasto.
Re: Bonding potions 10/30/2013 03:49 PM CDT
>> I'm still confused how people lose their weapons in the first place.

>throw axe

::connection lost::
Re: Bonding potions 10/30/2013 08:49 PM CDT
>So what's the deal, bad scripts? Lack of players paying attention? An inquiring mind wishes to know!

I've lost three thrown weapons to typing "get [weapon]" and accidentally hitting 3 on my numpad instead of enter and wandering SE as a result. And yes, they despawned instantly.

Fortunately I only use steel-forged thrown weapons for that very reason.
Re: Bonding potions 10/30/2013 08:54 PM CDT
We could add a chance for melee attacks to lodge weapons and remove them from your inventory temporarily and see what happens.

Since the RT would be unchanged there's really not much of an impact on balance. And I've already got enough issues with the occasional ill-timed internet outage or other disruption making my missile ammo disappear. Sometimes you get lucky, other times it's gone before you can get back, no matter how fast your response.

Do we really need to consider that a mandatory 'feature' of thrown too?
Re: Bonding potions 10/30/2013 10:38 PM CDT
>> I'm still confused how people lose their weapons in the first place.

>throw axe

>>::connection lost::

Yeah I have lost bonded thrown weapons this way. Thrown weapons will usually be immune to the janitor, but if they lodge and the creature despawns, then they are gone instantly. Good news though is that when this happened to me, the GM replaced my item (since it was registered)

I've also lost bonded weapons by stopping my script and walking off, not remembering to check where my bonded thrown weapon was first.

Apu
_
Respect. Integrity. World Domination.
https://sites.google.com/site/apucorpdr/
Re: Bonding potions 10/31/2013 11:47 AM CDT

>Yeah I have lost bonded thrown weapons this way. Thrown weapons will usually be immune to the janitor, but if they lodge and the creature despawns, then they are gone instantly. Good news though is that when this happened to me, the GM replaced my item (since it was registered)

and ONLY because it was registered.

>I wrestle with my own misconceptions of a bonded weapon, often. I've come to the realization that bonded weapons (and other items) ultimately help to prevent grave-robbing. They do not serve as a method [to] prevent item loss due to other sources.

Edited the quote a bit, but that's 100% right in my book.
Re: Bonding potions 10/31/2013 12:44 PM CDT
>>Yeah I have lost bonded thrown weapons this way. Thrown weapons will usually be immune to the janitor, but if they lodge and the creature despawns, then they are gone instantly. Good news though is that when this happened to me, the GM replaced my item (since it was registered)

>>and ONLY because it was registered.

Careful with that because. Registering a thing only gives GMs the tool so that they can recreate the original item. It doesn't guarantee that they will find that you deserve to have you item replaced. Registration only prevents they "Well I want to replace your item but can't because I don't know the exact specifications of your lost item."

A lost connection is often times not ground for replacement - and that's the crux of the situation. Bonding doesn't cover user errors or faulty connections.

Nikpack
Re: Bonding potions 10/31/2013 03:56 PM CDT
>Yeah I have lost bonded thrown weapons this way. Thrown weapons will usually be immune to the janitor, but if they lodge and the creature despawns, then they are gone instantly. Good news though is that when this happened to me, the GM replaced my item (since it was registered)

I guess this depends on the GM and mood they are in or your favor with them, I have seen them tell people your screwed on bonded and registered items lost exactly this way.

You feel a brief sense of unease, as if somehow, somewhere, you'd run afoul of the law.
Re: Bonding potions 11/01/2013 09:49 AM CDT
They sure lose a lot of customers due to the inability to fix this issue in the game and the unwillingness of some GMs to be helpful. And it makes the game a lot less fun to play for those of us who are unwilling to use their favorite weapon because they're worried about item loss.

I hate to complain without being helpful, so I would suggest making held items not drop upon death. Or at least fix the policy so that GMs will replace a bonded, registered item when lost.
Re: Bonding potions 11/14/2013 08:27 PM CST
if someone quits over 1 lost item, they were probably already thinking of quitting/losing interest. Otherwise thats just not logical IMO. Maybe I am the one that is crazy.

One time i bonded a throwing axe and lost it (was not registered). And the GM was able to look up that I bought a bonding potion and return just the potion which I respected.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Bonding potions 11/14/2013 09:20 PM CST
in 1997 I lost everything, literally everything. I think I got mad, called the GM I assisted bad words, quit, then re-subbed two months later. Granted I was 16.

It happens.