Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 09/17/2013 01:42 PM CDT
Stealth:   1750 00.00% clear          (0/34)

Rank gain completely shuts off at 1750 and is no longer teachable. Can we get the rank cap increased?
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 09/17/2013 02:02 PM CDT

>>Stealth: 1750 00.00% clear (0/34)

>>Rank gain completely shuts off at 1750 and is no longer teachable. Can we get the rank cap increased?

Sad thing is; you most likely need it raised since some survival tert with watch could most likely point you from hiding.
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 09/17/2013 02:09 PM CDT

This is unacceptable...... If dr has an end.... it really is THE END.
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 09/17/2013 02:59 PM CDT
>>What Now?

You won. Congrats!

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 09/17/2013 03:30 PM CDT
1 down, 52 to go.
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 09/17/2013 03:35 PM CDT
It's understandable if you missed the, like, week this was discussed back in April of last year.

TL;DR: DR's engine can't mathematically support skilsl over 1750. Unless this has changed since then and I don't remember.

Relevant:

>>That makes me think they might be setting it up for 1750 hard rank cap + 250 in various allowable bonuses, for a round system nonbreaky number of 2000.

To which Socharis did reply
>Yeah this is basically it. There's a particular number that's a little above 2000 that, if surpassed, would cause things to go all manner of horribly wacky. We need headroom under 2000 in order to allow for bonuses and things to push us closer.

(from http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Abilities,%20Skills%20and%20Magic/The%20Experience%20System/view/2683 )

Also this:
>>I mean, If you get a bonus that puts your effective ranks over 2147, could you put a line of code to bring the effective rank back down to 2147?

And then did Raesh sayeth in response:
>Due to the way DR's code works that is... non trivial. Otherwise you would have seen more uniform caps put in places years and years ago across the board.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Abilities,%20Skills%20and%20Magic/The%20Experience%20System/view/2692
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 09/17/2013 09:23 PM CDT

1750 ranks in prime is quite an accomplishment, you should be very proud.
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 09/17/2013 10:25 PM CDT
That is nice right there, I think it shuts off for your own good, congrats I think.

- Buuwl
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 09/20/2013 11:35 AM CDT
It would be great if some fraction of the overflow bits were redirected into the skill set bonus pool.

-Artificer Nilassa

You notice Kssarh trying to remain hidden while speaking.
You hear the voice of Kssarh say, "Slackers."
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 09/28/2013 08:50 PM CDT
I think that is a great idea, to put the overflow bits into the bonus pool. Where is the like button?
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 04/28/2014 12:24 AM CDT
I don't understand. Why would you want the hard cap raised? It's already far, far too high as is, imo.

Now, this is just supposition, so take it with a grain of salt ... but it seems some people just like to make the numbers go up. Others play for immersion (hard to find a world as immersive as Elanthia.) It is my own humble opinion that the two playstyles are, more often than not, at odds. The larger the gap between a novice and a master (or whatever you want to call max rank) the more immersion breaking the skill system becomes. Unless of course you make the ranks worth less and less as the gap widens, I suppose.

I dunno about anyone else, but I don't really want to spend the next 5+ years making numbers go up, personally.
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 04/28/2014 07:05 AM CDT
You might check dates on threads before replying. This one is from September of 2013. 7 months is probably long enough to assume it's done.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 04/28/2014 09:31 AM CDT
Would you rather I started my own thread to address the original post here? I fail to understand the problem. The original post is still relevant. I wasn't around 7 months ago, yet I'd still like to say my piece. Adding a new thread about it would just clutter things up.

I don't understand your issue.
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 04/28/2014 01:20 PM CDT
Let's please refrain from conflicting here (we even ask it in the subfolder's description). Since there's not a conflict folder in Abilities, Skill, and Magic, you can head down to the appropriate folder in The Social Side of DragonRealms if you'd like to continue.

Thank you,

Helje
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Helje@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at DR-Sidatura@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 04/28/2014 01:40 PM CDT
Without conflicting, I'll explain: you're replying to something which has, in general, long since fled the general consciousness of the boards. You did this without including any relevant context which is long gone. If you had copied something to reply to, and framed your response around that, it wouldn't have mattered.

But as is, users will have to click back and search for the topic you're replying to and attempt to familiarize themselves with it again, to understand at all what your post is. Generally speaking it IS better to simy start a new thread than necro an old one, even if you just say 'I was reading and wanted to revive this' and introduce the topic again.

Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 04/29/2014 04:59 AM CDT
>Generally speaking it IS better to simy start a new thread than necro an old one, even if you just say 'I was reading and wanted to revive this' and introduce the topic again.

So then we'd have to swap back and forth between two threads... yeah that's brilliant Krooner, go back to your hole now.
Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? 04/29/2014 06:58 AM CDT
>So then we'd have to swap back and forth between two threads... yeah that's brilliant Krooner, go back to your hole now.

Why would you swap back and forth between two threads if he simply made a new one? I know you apparently thought you could deliver some trolling, but at least make sense first. Common sense says 'make a new post with the relevant details of what you are discussing included'. YOU didn't do that.

Re: Experience Rank Cap - What Now? ::Closed:: 04/29/2014 01:30 PM CDT
This thread is over.

Helje
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Helje@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at DR-Sidatura@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.