Harnessing mana fries my nerves 04/29/2013 02:32 PM CDT
In combat I prefer to harness mana rather than fumble around with cambrinth when I refresh my buffs or train TM/Debil. This results in needing my nerves healed after every few hunting trips (this is with 340 attunement).

I already use cambrinth in my other magic training and buffing routines; it has plenty of benefits that make it worthwhile and useful on its own. Penalizing me with nerve damage because I only use cambrinth 80% of the time rather than 100% of the time just seems like overkill.

I just wanted to get this complaint out of my system because this has been bothering me in the post-3.0 world.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 04/30/2013 10:23 AM CDT

harnessing and nerve damage, just in general, have been bothering me for about 17 years. no joke. defiantly two systems that could really use a re-write. or even total removal.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 04/30/2013 02:03 PM CDT
I played a moon mage for a long time. Nerve damage was part of the job. Personally I feel I get a lot less nerve damage than I did before. I harness mana all the time. I even harness mana with camb. I harness mana on a goat and in a boat. I never had nerve damage really bother me yet. Every few days I usually in town, someone usually touching me and stealing all my hard earned wounds, before I even relize I had nerve damage. I play a range of guilds, none are high end by any means. I haven't had a huge issue with nerve damage. Sure it shows up, but nothing like it use to be. My moon mage would have shot nerves several times a week. Now, I don't htink I ever gone above minor nerve damage. Rarely do I ever see my nerve damage via health.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 04/30/2013 04:56 PM CDT
>This results in needing my nerves healed after every few hunting trips (this is with 340 attunement).

I don't really see how this is such a huge problem, to be totally honest. Having to get healing every few hunting trips seems to be the norm, I dont really see this as being a huge penalty at all.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 04/30/2013 06:23 PM CDT

My character seems to me to get far, far more nerve damage using harnessed mana to cast spells than he ever used to. He carries a big supply of luk elixir just for that reason- somewhat annoying but at least there is a herb to deal with it.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 04/30/2013 08:45 PM CDT
>>Having to get healing every few hunting trips seems to be the norm, I dont really see this as being a huge penalty at all.

It's not a huge problem, it's an annoyance. I can swing a sword without damaging my nerves, why not cast spells. I just don't think requiring cambrinth usage to avoid injury adds much to game play, is all. Just my opinion.

I already spend most of my magic routines hunched over an orb snaping away, as god intended. I just feel that since we're all going to use cambrinth a lot of the time anyway, injuring us for NOT using it some of the time is overkill.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 04/30/2013 09:00 PM CDT
>>My character seems to me to get far, far more nerve damage using harnessed mana to cast spells than he ever used to.

This is also my experience. I believe it has to do with the fact that harnessing while your attument level is lower is more common nowadays, and this is what causes more nerve damage.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 05/01/2013 01:13 AM CDT
>It's not a huge problem, it's an annoyance. I can swing a sword without damaging my nerves, why not cast spells. I just don't think requiring cambrinth usage to avoid injury adds much to game play, is all. Just my opinion.

I find that swinging a sword at very low fatigue can pretty easily lead to injury.

Is everyone really running around in the 10% attunement range? Why are there so many copies of this thread...
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 05/01/2013 05:11 AM CDT
I've never had nerve damage, but maybe that's because I don't have any issue with using cambrinth. I actually prefer to use cambrinth because it helps me avoid nerve damage... what a concept. The days of prepping as high as you can and snap casting without backfiring are over, so I use the time to charge and invoke cambrinth. Simple, really.

"EMPATHS RULE ELANTHIA -- ALL SHALL LOVE US AND DESPAAAAAIR" ~GM Melete
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 05/01/2013 12:12 PM CDT
I rarely get nerve damage on any of my casters. It's pretty easy to avoid if you either use cambrinth or harness mana at the right time. Try harnessing twice right before you cast instead of four times.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 05/02/2013 04:03 PM CDT

There is definitely something wrong with getting nerves fried from harnessing. I'd chalk it in with the 1000 other magic bugs that came with 3.0. Of course I'm not going to run a statistical analysis with 10000 data points to prove it. I'd just wait until a GM notices it when they fix another system or another player does the tests.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 05/03/2013 06:35 AM CDT
It's been said but I'd like to second it, you shouldn't harness more than two times for any general spell. If mana is so tight that you need to harness four times [e.g. 4x10 instead of 2x20), you might be better off searching for a room with better mana, really.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 05/03/2013 06:35 PM CDT
I understand why you shouldnt harness more then two times. It's a 4-6 seconds difference.

But why are nerves being fried for holding mana longer then 4 seconds? Makes no sense.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 05/03/2013 07:23 PM CDT
>But why are nerves being fried for holding mana longer then 4 seconds? Makes no sense.

Every N seconds, there is a skill check to hold mana.
If you fail that check, you get a message, lose the mana, and possibly gain some nerve damage.

I've currently been holding 1 mana for half an hour because I'm trying to figure out if I eventually roll a critical failure and lose it, and if losing 1 mana is enoguh to do nerve damage -- that part is hard to tell without being an empath.

The difficulty of that check depends on how much manage you have harnessed relative to how high your harness level is. The lower you drag your attunement, the faster you'll lose harnessed mana, and the larger percentage of it you'll lose every time it slips. Everyone spends a lot more time now with a lot lower attunement, so this system is a lot more visible to people. I believe a GM clarified whether room power is relevant or not at some point, but I can't remember what the answer was.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 05/04/2013 12:05 AM CDT
>But why are nerves being fried for holding mana longer then 4 seconds? Makes no sense.

I imagine it has to do with how the nerves transmits mana into a spell. If you were to treat it like an electronic, I suppose backfiring would be causing a short, and holding mana would be like overclocking - if the excess energy goes into something it can be beneficial, but if it goes 'nowhere' it'll rapidly fry the wires (nerves, as it were)

From a mechanical standpoint, it has to do -some- kind of damage or people would just harness spam low amounts to reach magic caps of spells they cast. Casting back-to-back 100 mana spells isn't, nor should it be, something done easily.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 05/04/2013 11:26 AM CDT
>I can swing a sword without damaging my nerves, why not cast spells.

Swinging a sword gives you 1 benefit...damage. While harnessing mana for a spell can give multiple benefits depending on the spell in question. Your channeling raw energy(mana) to power a supernatural magic effect I can completely understand it frying the nerves a little. I haven't seen any huge unbalancing effects from harnessing myself.

That said you'd think SOME of the barbarian and thief stuff would cause a slight fraying of the nerves as well...

"Burn him! Burn him!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in The Rakash Village.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 05/05/2013 08:39 AM CDT
The issue just seems to be that we're maintaining ever lower attunement than we were before, and nerve damage was heavily based off your total attunement. Now that we're meant to use the mana we have... it would make sense to make nerve damage solely based off skill, amount held, and length of time held, and remove the total attunement check.
Re: Harnessing mana fries my nerves 05/05/2013 10:52 PM CDT
<<it would make sense to make nerve damage solely based off skill, amount held, and length of time held, and remove the total attunement check>>

This!

Might be hard to track the tags though, the old timers are long gone.