Cambrinth 03/29/2013 04:22 AM CDT
Is there any way we could go back to the time required to charge cambrinth being based on skill? The roundtime for charging cambrinth is just too long.

Or, set a maximum value <=8second.
Re: Cambrinth 04/14/2013 10:58 PM CDT
>>Is there any way we could go back to the time required to charge cambrinth being based on skill?

I'd prefer a hybrid of both.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Cambrinth 04/28/2013 08:00 PM CDT
Hybrid or not, regular casters using cambrinth are out half a minute to full cast each buff thanks to the insanity applied to cambrinth.
Re: Cambrinth 04/28/2013 08:14 PM CDT
>>Hybrid or not, regular casters using cambrinth are out half a minute to full cast each buff thanks to the insanity applied to cambrinth.

Only if each spell is being cast at a global cap and prepped at bare minimum.

Having skill reduce cambrinth RTs is a nice idea, but let's not act apocalyptical about things.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Cambrinth 04/28/2013 08:59 PM CDT
I thought acting as though the sky is falling was the Elanthian way, at least if we hope for a change.
Re: Cambrinth 04/28/2013 09:23 PM CDT
>>I thought acting as though the sky is falling was the Elanthian way, at least if we hope for a change.

Not in my experience. I see more results when being diplomatic as opposed to hyperbolic.

Re: Cambrinth 04/29/2013 12:38 PM CDT
>>I thought acting as though the sky is falling was the Elanthian way, at least if we hope for a change.

What PB said. This is a quick way to get ignored anymore.
Re: Cambrinth 05/06/2013 01:08 AM CDT
I didn't think calling cambrinth charge times insane was such a big deal. Either way, I have yet to find anyone who agrees with the huge timers without a skill check for reduction. 3.0 has been live for over three months now without even the chance for a balancing.
Re: Cambrinth 05/06/2013 05:46 AM CDT
I use cambrinth on every spell cast, in or out of combat and have no issues whatsoever with the round time associated with it.

"EMPATHS RULE ELANTHIA -- ALL SHALL LOVE US AND DESPAAAAAIR" ~GM Melete
Re: Cambrinth 05/06/2013 06:19 AM CDT
Guess you're the guy ok with a massive roundtime change for casters. At least in 2.0 we had the opportunity to reduce charge time based on skill, I feel as though we have backslid.
Re: Cambrinth 05/06/2013 06:21 AM CDT
I'm alright with the round times. Harnessing is fast, cambrinth is efficient.
Re: Cambrinth 05/06/2013 07:06 AM CDT
Greatsword rt is based on stats down to a minimum, forging pounds have an average that is brought down by stats, crossbow time rts are based on stats/skills, ...

We had a charge cambrinth system that took into account int/wis/disc coupled with current Arcana skill and reduced to a timer based on how much you wanted to charge into the cambrinth object. We currently have a cambrinth system that has a flat tax on time based on how much mana we want to put into an object (arcana skill useless for improvement anyone?). The former was far preferable and better designed than the latter. If anything, development should have gone the other way.

Harnessing puts us into the brain fry zone because nobody can find a way to disable the leaks at low attunement. The old gods took their secrets with them it seems. Somebody should send them a nicely worded letter asking how to disable the extra brain fry from low attunement.

This is suppose to be a skill based game with little tweaks for stats. I do not see how the new system aligns with the idealized goal.
Re: Cambrinth 05/06/2013 07:40 AM CDT
>>We had a charge cambrinth system that took into account int/wis/disc coupled with current Arcana skill and reduced to a timer based on how much you wanted to charge into the cambrinth object. We currently have a cambrinth system that has a flat tax on time based on how much mana we want to put into an object (arcana skill useless for improvement anyone?). The former was far preferable and better designed than the latter. If anything, development should have gone the other way.

If cambrinth round times could still be trained down what would that leave for harnessing's niche?

>>Harnessing puts us into the brain fry zone because nobody can find a way to disable the leaks at low attunement. The old gods took their secrets with them it seems. Somebody should send them a nicely worded letter asking how to disable the extra brain fry from low attunement.

I suggest adjusting the amounts you're harnessing and minimizing how long you try to do it for. I haven't had any 'brain fry zone' issues since 3.0 came out and I harness mana every day.

>>I do not see how the new system aligns with the idealized goal.

You're picking a single goal that appeal to you and then trying to apply it as if it were the only development goal. The goal of the cam round time change was to give both harness and cambrinth solid purposes.
Re: Cambrinth 05/06/2013 12:22 PM CDT
>>If cambrinth round times could still be trained down what would that leave for harnessing's niche?

This. Cambrinth RTs were made shorter at the start of 3.0 but were put on a scale that went higher as you charged more mana into the cambrinth piece. This was done because it made harnessing a completely useless system. Cambrinth is the most efficient way to use mana. RT is the downside to that. Deal with it.

>>3.0 has been live for over three months now without even the chance for a balancing.

Making comments like these do not support your argument, especially when the statement is completely false. It only shows your ignorance. Cambrinth has seen quite a bit of balancing, and is in an ok place for the majority of players and the GMs. On top of that there is a huge magic system update that is being worked on that is supposed to be released in the near future. There is plenty of balancing being done, but they are not going to completely rewrite the systems to your liking.
Re: Cambrinth 05/06/2013 03:01 PM CDT
I don't think the new roundtimes are unworkable -- but it hurts to lose most of the reward for arcana ranks. With the cambrinth change and the removal of most of the Arcana checks from spells, the only reward for my extra arcana is TDPs.
Re: Cambrinth 05/06/2013 03:02 PM CDT
>>but it hurts to lose most of the reward for arcana ranks. With the cambrinth change and the removal of most of the Arcana checks from spells, the only reward for my extra arcana is TDPs.

I've been assuming that enchanting 3.0 will fix this issue.
Re: Cambrinth 05/06/2013 05:25 PM CDT
<<Cambrinth RTs were made shorter at the start of 3.0 but were put on a scale that went higher as you charged more mana into the cambrinth piece. This was done because it made harnessing a completely useless system. Cambrinth is the most efficient way to use mana. RT is the downside to that. Deal with it.>>

The scale is a flat tax on time. Cambrinth is suppose to efficient and harness quick, even if we accept this as the overall goal, why can't we cap the time cost at double or triple? Harness 100 takes 3s, charge camb 100 takes 22s and still requires an invoke. Mages never get better at using cambrinth under the new system. Is it really so much to ask for someone with 1k arcana to be able to charge an orb in 8s and then invoke for another 1s (real time with lag buffer is longer)? Having a flat scale makes arcana skill useless beyond the 260 for charging a worn manacle.

<<It only shows your ignorance.>>

If I do not see, can not feel it, and have not heard of anything, how could I not be ingnorant of any changes? I don't have the secret password to the we're going to kinda work on this now and maybe ...vault. The scale of time cost is a backward direction in development. I can not understand why we are moving away from reducing the time to use commands based on skill in favor of major increases in times for actions with minor decreases based on stats.
Re: Cambrinth 05/07/2013 12:24 AM CDT
>>I don't think the new roundtimes are unworkable -- but it hurts to lose most of the reward for arcana ranks.

As APATHETICSMILE posted, it hurt a lot more when the reward for arcana ranks started and ended with cambrinth roundtimes. Enchanting is expected to make Arcana a lot more robust in terms of usage.

>>Cambrinth is suppose to efficient and harness quick, even if we accept this as the overall goal, why can't we cap the time cost at double or triple? Harness 100 takes 3s, charge camb 100 takes 22s and still requires an invoke

It's a bit disingenuous to ignore that harness' roundtime doesn't increase dependent on the amount held. Comparing a static roundtime to a dynamic one is rather shoddy.

Re: Cambrinth 05/07/2013 02:05 AM CDT
>As APATHETICSMILE posted, it hurt a lot more when the reward for arcana ranks started and ended with cambrinth roundtimes.

So now it hurts less because there's no reward at all? Actually, now that I think about it, I suppose I'm wrong: I'm still improving at how accurate my 'focus <cambrinth> N' is on an orb, which is occasionally glitchy.

>Enchanting is expected to make Arcana a lot more robust in terms of usage.

True, though I have a hard time conceptualizing how enchantments are going to be anything more than fill out additional static rank benefits. There's not a lot of room to grow a skill in activation requirements. Scaling enchantment bonuses to a percentage of Arcana?

Training down activation roundtimes, I suppose.
Re: Cambrinth 05/07/2013 08:43 AM CDT
Well, if how cambrinth has changed is any kind of hint, you will charge your sword for 30s, invoke the sword, and then get a minor flame added to successful strikes. With any luck, the barbs will be on the side for rt reduction as it doesn't exclusively burden casters. There will be no reduction in roundtimes based on skill as somehow reducing the time requirements for doing mundane things is verboden. With further luck, hiding, attacks, foraging, and power perceive timers will get fixed next. Mundane, the new way to entertain.
Re: Cambrinth 05/07/2013 11:54 AM CDT
>>Well, if how cambrinth has changed is any kind of hint, you will charge your sword for 30s, invoke the sword, and then get a minor flame added to successful strikes.

Stop.

Re: Cambrinth ::NUDGE:: 05/07/2013 02:27 PM CDT
Let's keep the discord down in the conflict folders please.

Helje
DragonRealms Board Monitor

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Helje@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at DR-Sidatura@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.