Ring of Spears Messaging 02/19/2013 07:12 AM CST
I'm not really sure if this is a 'bug' with the system or not, since it's fairly consistent but I will say that the damage messaging for RoS isn't quite right for the results that come from it. As an example, on occasion I get the following wonderfully gory description:
"One of the rock spears lands a good strike to a fledgling forest gryphon's head exploding through it with such force it sends gelatinous particles of brain spraying into the air!"
And the result of this (obviously lethal strike) is: 'lightly stunned'. Not dead, not extremely stunned... lightly stunned. I honestly don't think this is realistic for the damage being done.

Also, on occasion I receive the following message:
"One of the rock spears lands a good strike to a fledgling forest gryphon's chest, skewering the still beating heart and holding the organ aloft in a grim display as the spear emerges through the back!"
The result of this should be death... it's a gryphon, not an undead gryphon. This one doesn't even get a stun, it kept on fighting for a good round or two of attacks afterwards.

Could someone please take a good look at the messaging system for this spell? I think it should be more tailored like the weapon attacks, where you only get a 'lethal' strike like chopping off a head or bursting the heart on the death-strike for the critter.
Re: Ring of Spears Messaging 02/19/2013 10:22 AM CST
I think it's a greater systems thing that is already on the GM radar. I get similar things with USOL. Sometimes fatal messaging isn't so fatal.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Ring of Spears Messaging 02/19/2013 03:35 PM CST
>>I think it's a greater systems thing that is already on the GM radar. I get similar things with USOL. Sometimes fatal messaging isn't so fatal.

Well, it's good to know that it's on the radar. ^.^ Hopefully things will get resolved at one point or another.

Malzian "What do you do when life throws monsters at you? Kill them and wait for more monsters, of course."
Re: Ring of Spears Messaging 02/19/2013 04:54 PM CST
Yeah, it was fun watching something have it's 'arm speared, ripped from the shoulder, then hoisted high up into the air like some form of macabre standard!'... and then to look at it and see it has tiny scratches.

I'm reminded of that "'tis but a scratch!" monty python skit.