Harness = Nerve Damage 01/28/2013 11:42 PM CST
I posted this a week or so ago, and it really needs to be addressed. The nerve damage associated with harnessing when your attunement is low, needs to be adjusted or go away. I made the suggest that the attunement skill allows us to harness more mana without the risk of nerve damage (1 mana per 10 attunment ranks; 1000 attunement = 100 mana harnessed with no nerve damage, etc). When I'm actively training magic, my mana level is between 10-50%. If I harness mana during that time, I'm guaranteed to have nerve damage in short order.

You guys wanted to make mana mean more, fine. But we shouldnt be forced into cambs because of nerve damage. The trade off for cambs was supposed to be more efficient mana usage for more RT. If nerve damage is added to that equation, it makes harnessing next to pointless, unless you dont mind going to an empath for nerve damage every few hours. Making cambs the unquestionable king.

Falker
Re: Harness = Nerve Damage 01/29/2013 04:55 AM CST
>>If I harness mana during that time, I'm guaranteed to have nerve damage in short order.

Oh huh, I never noticed this. Sounds like an oversight more than anything, given that we're kind of expected to be in the lower spectrum range of mana now with the way the system works. Maybe repost in the Magic folder?

~ Leilond
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/Leilond_Progression.jpg
Re: Harness = Nerve Damage 01/29/2013 05:05 AM CST
I poked around the code the other day last time this was mentioned, it's fairly old and poorly documented. There were some interesting hooks that predate 3.0 that I don't think were ever explored that have me intrigued.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:09 AM CST
I pulled this line from Elanthipedia...

Sorcery is another new magic skill, but it behaves very differently than the other four new skills. Your Sorcery skill indicates your ability to use mana types that you're unfamiliar with. This is used instead of your Primary Magic skill to determine if you're able to cast a spell that uses a different mana type. Training this skill is NOT, in and of itself, illegal. However, some spells are still illegal to use in any town, and if you use them (or explicitly teach Sorcery) you can be charged with Forbidden Practices. The best way to train Sorcery is simply to cast spells from other mana types that you find on scrolls.

Okay, so in order to use a spell scroll or a runestone from another type of mana (Almost the only reason to use them, btw) I now have to have this Sorcery skill which I just earned my first rank in an hour ago. Okay, I don't mind that. Here's what I do mind.. getting arrested for teaching the skill that is needed for them. If the lore of the game itself hasn't changed and this is all supposed to be mechanical and everyone knows that using a type of mana other than your own is sorcery, then sorcery in and of itself shouldn't be ILLEGAL. If I'm running around incinerating people, or disrupting limbs, or energy manacling them, fine, arrest me, it's perverse... But how the hell is teaching the skill that I need to cast shadows from a rune illegal? I can't even use a rune right now because any time I try the friggin spell backfires and I get the shakes hardcore. At the very least, random NPCs shouldn't be able to accuse you of teaching someone how to cast clear vision when you both use holy mana. How do they know I use holy mana if they haven't seen me cast anything? I think this needs to be revisited, possibly change the 'sorcery' skill to something else even.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:13 AM CST
If you listen to a PM class on a mana type that isn't your own you'll learn sorcery and no one will care.

If you set up shop teaching Sorcery in a justice area, the mobs will hunt you down and burn you alive before you turn into the next Lyras.

If you set up shop teaching Sorcery where the mobs can't find you, you likely won't be burned alive.

I'm not saying it's rational, but mobs rarely are.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:23 AM CST
To be honest, Teaching the art of thievery should be just as illegal - to be consistent - in a justice zone - and its not.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:30 AM CST

If you listen to a PM class on a mana type that isn't your own you'll learn sorcery and no one will care.

If you set up shop teaching Sorcery in a justice area, the mobs will hunt you down and burn you alive before you turn into the next Lyras.

If you set up shop teaching Sorcery where the mobs can't find you, you likely won't be burned alive.

I'm not saying it's rational, but mobs rarely are.

-Raesh>>>>>>

Even though this is woefully unhelpful because I have a cleric and paladin and I have no interest in sitting around listening to someone else teach a skill that I could easily learn on my own [PM], there's something refreshing about hearing you say it might not be rational. You've amused me enough to make me wander off and hide while I learn sorcery from a sorcery class.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:34 AM CST
Also: there is a long-time sorcerer that runs a shop, slightly south of the ferry from zoluren. No warrents have ever been given for her arrest <and i hope they won't be - where else can you buy a cart load of toad saliva? <G> But, to be consistent with the lore, there needs to be some sort of IC explanation why she is allowed to carry on her trade.

<looking for lore-fu stuff>

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:37 AM CST
<< I have no interest in sitting around listening to someone else teach a skill that I could easily learn on my own [PM] >>

If you listen to a WM, Bard,MM,ranger or empath teach PM, you will learn sorcery, not pm. In-town, and nobody will give a darn. <you'd also learn from a necro teaching pm... but... necros don't usually hang around in town teaching.<G>

Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:42 AM CST

If you listen to a WM, Bard,MM,ranger or empath teach PM, you will learn sorcery, not pm. In-town, and nobody will give a darn. <you'd also learn from a necro teaching pm... but... necros don't usually hang around in town teaching.<G>>>>

Right, but I don't want to sit around town. I want to occasionally leave combat to get a few ticks of sorcery until I can use runetones to learn it. I just said PM because that is still the skill I would have to teach/listen to. I'm a demanding sort who likes things to be convenient and make sense and I want everything right now. :oD
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:44 AM CST
>>To be honest, Teaching the art of thievery should be just as illegal - to be consistent - in a justice zone - and its not.

That could be arranged.

-Raesh

Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:47 AM CST

Well, we all know who we're going to have to thank when teaching thievery becomes part of the justice system.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 06:41 AM CST
It should be.

Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 07:32 AM CST

>>I want to occasionally leave combat to get a few ticks of sorcery until I can use runetones to learn it.

You can use runestones from 0 sorcery up at least past 150 sorcery.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 07:34 AM CST

You can use runestones from 0 sorcery up at least past 150 sorcery. >

I've tried five different ones and every time my spell hopelessly backfires and it bakes my nerves.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 08:52 AM CST
>I've tried five different ones and every time my spell hopelessly backfires and it bakes my nerves.

Just focusing on the runestone will give you some sorcery experience. You don't have to invoke it.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 10:11 AM CST
I'm for Thievery having problems being taught in justice zones (of course the hysteria would be nice if they weren't quite sorcery end of the world we better do something nasty bring out the pitch forks and the torches, breaking legs, leaving people bloody and battered, cutting off tongues, all cool to me).

This is a post from another GM, which kinda suggests Sorcery is bad like Thievery is the bad Survival skill:

Re: Runestones on 01/10/2013 04:07 PM EST
Just removed the timer - Let me know how that goes?

Since the learning peters out after 50 ranks anyway I'm not too concerned about this being an avenue for abuse, but since it trains two skills at once (if your arcana is low) the learning rate isn't as fast as a single skill.

Remember also that Sorcery is a skill that's not necessarily intended to be as easy to learn as augmentation (just like thievery is harder to learn than climbing).

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.

-End Reference Post-

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 10:37 AM CST

>>To be honest, Teaching the art of thievery should be just as illegal - to be consistent - in a justice zone - and its not.>>>

Why? I could teach pick pocketing in the park and no one would care, it could be construed as a parlor trick.
- Buuwl
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 10:47 AM CST
>>That could be arranged.

I thought that was intended? I remember seeing something about Sorcery being illegal in town just like teaching pickpocketing. Would be fun, for sure.

As for learning Sorcery, you definitely learn much better for actually doing. A trip to Ratha's magic shop isn't that bad now, what with mammoths. I'm personally trying to get my hands on a Glythtide's Joy scroll, if anyone has any...
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 11:09 AM CST
>>To be honest, Teaching the art of thievery should be just as illegal - to be consistent - in a justice zone - and its not.>>>

Why? I could teach pick pocketing in the park and no one would care, it could be construed as a parlor trick.
- Buuwl

think fagin in oliver twist. and think of he was sentenced to hang, even though he didn't do any stealing himself, just taught the skill. similar type situation. now back to your regularly scheduled sorcery :-).

Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 11:32 AM CST
Or you could think about how Good morning America just had Apollo Robbins on showcasing his craft. I'm pretty sure he didn't hang after his tv appearance.

Its all a matter of perspective and we could go back and forth with examples.

- Buuwl
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 11:43 AM CST
I also kind of hate that Thievery is taught openly in the streets.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 12:03 PM CST
>To be honest, Teaching the art of thievery should be just as illegal - to be consistent - in a justice zone - and its not.

Yeah, I too would rather not see it taught so openly.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 01:07 PM CST
>To be honest, Teaching the art of thievery should be just as illegal - to be consistent - in a justice zone - and its not.

Make it so.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 01:46 PM CST
@Deja66 - focusing on runestones can safely net you enough sorcery ranks to start casting spells yourself. I started casting sorcerous spells around 35 ranks. As a holy magic user Lunar magic is going to be the least risky sorcery for you to cast. Life magic is an average risk and elemental will be very risky in terms of chance of sorcerous backlash. When you do start casting make sure you're using an introductory spell as your sorcery trainer and cast it with low mana and fully prepped. If you can find a cyclic spell that will train you the quickest and safest as you learn sorcery at every pulse - at least until they fix cyclics to contest your sorcery skill and risk arm-ending backlash at every pulse. Once you hit 100 sorcery ranks you can also learn the sorcerous patterns feat to mitigate some of the backlash risk. It takes more care and effort to train sorcery but its entirely worth it to open up new magical avenues available to your character.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 04:26 PM CST
It be nice if the following skills contested something when determining if the public notices your 'crimes'.

>Charisma
>Scholarship or Thievery (whichever is higher)
>Your general wanted status in the city (leverage 'hotness' system that Thieves utilize)
>How public of an are in (Justice System Outdoor vs Justice System Indoor).

Anyhow thats probably a bit ambitious for something that does not add much to the game.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 04:45 PM CST
WTB Silent hill town in dragonrealms where sorcery, thievery, necromancy, general debauchery are all good.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 04:45 PM CST
IF teaching thievery openly in a justice zone follows the sorcery model, then the crime I could see it falling under would be aiding and abetting (if it's even still possible to get this crime heh). It's not quite the break out the pitchforks crime as sorcery is..but it's not quite innocent either. Aiding and Abetting seems like a reasonable compromise I think.

The only thing i'm really against on this topic, is people gwething about their stealing classes. I just find it irritating I guess. I just think to myself, would a town guard or whatever NPC type that would monitor gweth traffic overhearing this declaration, just ignore someone claiming to teach people how to steal? Probably not is my guess..but that's just how I think of it.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:35 PM CST
>>WTB Silent hill town in dragonrealms where sorcery, thievery, necromancy, general debauchery are all good.

Throne City was your place for this until Raesh had to go make plans to ruin all the fun.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:51 PM CST
Personally I think Stealing and teaching it (Thievery) should be a two sided thing, one crimes, 2 what the Criminal element decide to do to you for creating to much heat for them and their fellows.

So I see you getting hit by justice, and (especially if you keep it up) then hit by Organized Crime for not paying your dues.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 05:56 PM CST
>>WTB Silent hill town in dragonrealms where sorcery, thievery, necromancy, general debauchery are all good.

Regarding necromancy, that would be like putting up signs around your house that says "come to our HOA, we allow murder and cannibalism!" The armies of people who hate necromancy would squash that town pretty quick. The same goes for sorcery, to a lesser degree.

Thievery's relative. A place that allows thievery classes might make sense, but it wouldn't make sense for a city to actively allow shop theft. Sure, the pirates of Hara'jaal might make their living plundering from other provinces, but when you steal from a shop you're stealing from the pirates themselves. Bad idea.
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 07:51 PM CST
>>Sure, the pirates of Hara'jaal might make their living plundering from other provinces, but when you steal from a shop you're stealing from the pirates themselves.

Would love to see a "secret" pirate town/hideout that's outside justice (no shops, but maybe gem/furrier outposts), has high level hunting, and forces you to go PvP open upon disembarking on the docks
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 08:17 PM CST
>Would love to see a "secret" pirate town/hideout that's outside justice (no shops, but maybe gem/furrier outposts), has high level hunting, and forces you to go PvP open upon disembarking on the docks

Whatever happened to Hara'jaal?
Re: Sorcery. 01/29/2013 11:54 PM CST
hi p3 necromancer guild.
Re: Sorcery. 01/30/2013 08:41 AM CST
<<WTB Silent hill town in dragonrealms where sorcery, thievery, necromancy, general debauchery are all good.>>

there's that necro/thief housing area somewhere north of crossing...

Re: Sorcery. 01/30/2013 08:45 AM CST
<<Whatever happened to Hara'jaal?
hi p3 necromancer guild>>

Hara'jaal is P4. P3 is Ilithi.

But i'd like a guildhall in both. :-)

Re: Harness = Nerve Damage 03/29/2013 09:55 PM CDT
>>When I'm actively training magic, my mana level is between 10-50%. If I harness mana during that time, I'm guaranteed to have nerve damage in short order

This!

The tags seem to have never been removed or reworked from the old harness system. Harnessing mana in the old system would fry nerves more the lower your attunement. The only way to replenish mana at a reasonable rate is to drain the manapool. Removing the ability to harness makes us cambrinth dependent with the terrible roundtimes.

I mostly play as an empath or trader these days and the current system bothers me.