Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 08:03 PM CST
I really think this needs looking at; so far, the only way I've managed to successfully move Aug/Warding on any of my magic characters is by using a cyclic. Repeatedly spamming large casts doesn't work terribly well. I'm wondering if it could be considered that instead of granting XP for a large cast, a steady amount of xp is constantly awarded as long as the spell is active on you?

Similarly, with Debilitation, the XP per cast feels low; perhaps it could award an amount of XP as long as it is active on a critter, or, in the case of damage amplifiers like HP, MoA, etc, awards additional XP when they fire?

A theme in 3.0 is to get away from repeatedly spamming activities as a means for training, and as such, excessively spamming Debilitation on critters in the room, or repeatedly casting and recasting our buffs seems unproductive and tedious.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 08:36 PM CST
> I'm wondering if it could be considered that instead of granting XP for a large cast, a steady amount of xp is constantly awarded as long as the spell is active on you?

I'd like to second this, I actually was going to post on the same subject and ask if a minor, I repeat minor amount of exp could be awarded while augmentation / warding spells are present because of the fact that it is very hard to keep these skills moving at any decent rate while still trying to kill creatures in combat. I have no problem with debilitation, it seems to me anyway that this can be kept up pretty easily, but if I want to train warding or augmentation I have to leave combat and spam cast the spells to train decently.

I figure a small exp awarding from having these spells currently on you, plus casting them in combat would make them usable.

Or for warding at least, a small amount of exp gain per attack deflected. Example: MAF helping deflect a blow would gain a bit of exp in Warding skill.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 08:42 PM CST
I'd also like to say on this discussion that this most likely refers to any guild that doesn't have a cyclic in the skills that they are having trouble with.

I'm not saying cyclics are godly and are the end all of everything, but it is really nice to train with them because they take the resources from you without you having to constantly type, or script the same things over and over. I'm sure guilds with cyclic warding spells learn warding very easy but maybe some spells are at a disadvantage for them.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 08:46 PM CST
Learning isn't directly tied to mana used. Try using smaller mana casts to disable challenging opponents. We specifically made it so you wouldn't have to mana dump just to train :P

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 08:48 PM CST
> Learning isn't directly tied to mana used. Try using smaller mana casts to disable challenging opponents. We specifically made it so you wouldn't have to mana dump just to train :P

what about the aug/ward? I've tried small casts of both and neither work.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 08:55 PM CST
Now those I believe do require decent mana applied. Make sure you are casting spells challenging for your skill range. DISCERN should be able to help with identifying what those are.

What class are you, how many ranks do you have and what spells and at what mana have you tried them?

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 09:01 PM CST
> What class are you, how many ranks do you have and what spells and at what mana have you tried them?

Herein lies the problem I think. I'm a necromancer so I don't want to have to cast the bulk of our augmentation and warding spells at high mana.

To work them decently I just have to go out of combat and cast them over and over again, which works, but doesn't seem like it is an efficient way of doing things in 3.0.

I haven't had a real main usage of anything but I've tried everything and it mostly feels the same at 450 / 550 Warding / Augmentation
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 09:09 PM CST
>>To work them decently I just have to go out of combat and cast them over and over again, which works, but doesn't seem like it is an efficient way of doing things in 3.0.

I suppose I don't know what being a Necromancer has to do with it, but to some extent magic has always required actual training of the spells to move skills along. Exp may yet need to be adjusted, so don't worry too much yet. We'll do some investigation ourselves first.

Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 09:41 PM CST
This is true though for every magic user I've messed with (Cleric, Warmie, Necro), and the Debil part is true of my Barbarian as well; it seems the only way to train non-cyclic Aug/Ward/Debil is to heavily spam various abilities. The xp rewarded for repeated casting seems significantly lower than even TM rewards in 2.0, and the xp awarded for cyclics is high (in some cases too high!) enough to make training those skills, via cyclics, feasible.

For example, my warmie, using AC at even minimal mana (10-15) seems to move Warding at a really decent rate. RoC for the Necro even more so. On the other hand, the Necromancer can hardly move Warding, either by spam casting AP or CH or WORM...

I feel from a bit of kajiggering that xp on cyclics makes them the best option for training, and the xp on non-cyclics needs addressing. While I hate to draw attention to something that locks Utility and Arcana and maybe even Magic in 2-3 minutes of doing next to nothing, I do want to draw attention to something that requires me to repeatedly spam the same spell, cast fairly high (30-50 mana) repeatedly solely for the purpose of moving Warding/Augmentation/Utility.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 09:42 PM CST

This is potentially doubly problematic for Necromancers, who will have to rely on Transcendental spells for training, which if spammed over a period of time, will eventually cause DO.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 09:49 PM CST
Roars actually should be teaching rather well, and they are useful in combat. My recommendation is to ROAR QUIET <roar> to hit multiple opponents and learn off each one. Voice regens reasonably quickly, so don't feel bad using it every 30-45 seconds. In no time you'll be locked.

Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 09:58 PM CST
Oh geez... That makes Debil on the barb a breeze.

Any other syntax I'm missing for the other characters that'll make Aug/Warding/Debil way easier? No chance of 'CAST QUIET BURDEN' eh, to hit the entire room?
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 10:01 PM CST
Haha, not a total breeze. It was balanced with that in mind and it trails off the more you hit...but its doable. Mages just need to snap-cast spam their debil attacks a bit more like they did in 2.0 and it should be comparable.

Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/19/2013 10:08 PM CST
>>Herein lies the problem I think. I'm a necromancer so I don't want to have to cast the bulk of our augmentation and warding spells at high mana.

With ~700 Arcane, ~500 Warding, and ~600 Augmentation, I can move warding with Manifest Force around 90-95 and Augmentation with Researcher's Insight at 90-95 as well.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/20/2013 01:43 AM CST
>>My recommendation is to ROAR QUIET <roar> to hit multiple opponents and learn off each one.

Hey! I wasn't aware that QUIET hit multiple targets at once. (Obviously I've never used QUIET at all.) That will probably do nicely until ROAR AREA comes back. AREA was my go-to method in Plat until it got shut off.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/20/2013 01:52 AM CST
Just to echo, the learning I feel is low here. I chain cast shatters today (my debil skill is not very high) on orcs for a good while and moved it 'ok'. I was spending about 10 minutes chain casting as often as I could and just getting to about 20/34.

I also think learning in general for spells just seems a bit to low, or requires too much chain casting. I would like if extra mana improved the rate of learning somewhat, so we can choose to chain fire spells (more efficient) or dump lots of mana into a spell (more single action exp) to better manage how we want to train. Otherwise I think we are spending way too many commands on just learning magic and makes it hard to work along side other skills.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/20/2013 03:20 AM CST
> With ~700 Arcane, ~500 Warding, and ~600 Augmentation, I can move warding with Manifest Force around 90-95 and Augmentation with Researcher's Insight at 90-95 as well.

I can move the skills, but when you cast them in a complex script that rotates skills around a lot its not working out to well. If I just wanted to sit around and spam cast augmentation / warding skills it wouldn't be a problem. I don't really like doing that, but I guess that's what i'm going to have to do, at least to get them ML'd in the first place then I can start my general script which will slow the decay rate.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/20/2013 04:34 AM CST
I'm actually really enjoying spell learning exp right now. The first thing I did was find my max cast rate for each spell type and then try and find an AP alternative (necro.) At first I was alarmed that I needed to wait for full prep (>20 seconds) to cast at my personal cap, but it became a lot easier once i started working cambrinth in. Once I started using Cambrinth that 20 second wait turned into a 5-6 second wait after using charge + invoke.

#1) Cyclics train ridiculously well. Anyone who has a cylcic can basically ignore the spelltype because it basically trains itself. Steps of Vaun and ROC come to mind. You also need raw channeling and the cambrinth feat helps.

#2) In 2.0 you had to spam spells to train, this is no different. Instead now you just rotate through spells.

These are my exps after spending about 3-4 hours learning what was best to cast spellwise, etc. It takes awhile to figure out the best mana for each spell difficulty because every spell type is at a different level after the grandfathering.

Magic: 165 31% nearly locked (33/34) +3.39
Utility: 125 78% nearly locked (33/34) +4.31
Attune: 187 03% enthralled (32/34) +2.44
Arcana: 110 19% enthralled (32/34) +3.00
Shield: 150 72% very rapt (31/34) +0.35
Augment: 147 57% very rapt (31/34) +2.27
Defend: 160 43% very rapt (31/34) +0.32
Chain: 144 42% very rapt (31/34) +0.38
Warding: 115 55% very riveted (29/34) +2.25
Debilit: 129 74% very riveted (29/34) +0.58
Evade: 170 59% engrossed (27/34) +0.73
Sorcery: 22 05% scrutinizing (17/34) +0.92
Scholar: 139 18% dabbling (1/34) +2.05

These are the spells im using with min prep and personal spell caps. They all train at least 1 rank per cast. You definitely have to cast near your personal range.

Warding Manifest Force|5|27
Augmentation Ease Burden|5|30
Utility Rite of Contrition|5|5|Cyclic
Debilitation Viscous Solution|14|22
Sorcery Instinct|5|10

I think really it's just a different mindset here. In 2.0 you HAD to spam spells, it was just the same spell. Here, you have to work multiple spells and it takes a lot more effort, including combat for debil exp.

I would just keep messing around and find out what trains best. There is definitely a right/efficient way to do things now, we just need to find it.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/20/2013 02:55 PM CST
I've been able to move it a bit, but I still think training these skills is a little off. Multihit abilities like VS are better trainers than single targets like HP. For training purposes, this somewhat forces your hand.

Cyclics are far and away the best choice for training. My routines have been to use a cyclic to lock the related skill in 5 or so minutes, while struggling to move the others. Casting at personal caps and rotating magics into a given routine seems to be the name of the game, instead of focusing on one thing until it's locked before moving onto another, but xp still seems very unbalanced between cyclics/non-cyclics.

The idea of simple recasting our Wards/Augs/Util/Debils over and over seems somewhat outdated given the theme of the changes. I'd much rather see Warding XP awarded for having a Ward on me or having the Ward actually stop something. I don't see why we should expect to get better at, say, casting CH by just repeatedly casting it, as opposed to casting CH and having it get whacked on. Adopting a FA style experience system that awards XP for 'bandages being on a patient' more than 'bandaging a patient' seems a better use of our mana and training.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/20/2013 05:02 PM CST
> Cyclics are far and away the best choice for training

I bet bards sure have it rough.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/20/2013 05:04 PM CST
Multihit have always been the best trainers, and always will be. I believe Kodius did mention something about some skills not being intended for use in circling. I agree, there should be a decent way to train each, but other guilds will have advantages/disadvantages as well.

Take Warding for example. Necromancers explicitly only have 2 warding spells unless you want to count MAF. Warrior mages have 4, one cyclc. Warrior mages should generally be better at Warding than necros in this case. But for Utility, Necromancers have 7 Utility spells, one cyclic. Warrior mages have 7, with no cyclic. Necromancers will clearly have an easier time with Utility skills with the use of a cyclic.

Basically, not every guild will be the best at everything with their explicit spells. If you want your necro to be excellent at warding, I'd suggest training up Sorcery.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/20/2013 06:03 PM CST
>>Adopting a FA style experience system that awards XP for 'bandages being on a patient' more than 'bandaging a patient' seems a better use of our mana and training.

A GM basically said they're going away from this model. Perform an action and watch a skill keep learning without doing anything is something they don't seem to like.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/20/2013 11:07 PM CST
>If you want your necro to be excellent at warding, I'd suggest training up Sorcery.

Yeah, true.

>A GM basically said they're going away from this model. Perform an action and watch a skill keep learning without doing anything is something they don't seem to like.

Then I hate to shoot myself in the foot here, but I really think cyclics need to have their xp dropped, and normal spam casting have it's xp upped.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 01:39 AM CST
>> Then I hate to shoot myself in the foot here, but I really think cyclics need to have their xp dropped, and normal spam casting have it's xp upped.

Definitely. Socharis just reduced cyclic exp. Now he needs to up normal exp. The main problem is that you need to cast at personal mana cap to get the good exp, and that takes 20 seconds per cast.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 03:27 AM CST

just my 2 cents....but dibil should be on par with what you can hunt....based on current numbers, I won't be able to learn debil while hunting til I gain about 200 ranks in all my combats, but i can lock TM in under 10 minutes...if you don't learn it til you are "at level" in magics, then magic primes are screwed til their defenses and combats catch up to thier magics. I am sitting with magics all in the 700's and 800's but can't train dibil at all unless I try to over hunt by a lot. I think debil should be the same as TM...if you can hit it effectively...it should teach
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 03:30 AM CST
>> I think debil should be the same as TM...if you can hit it effectively...it should teach

Debilitation should train at the same level as TM. The only difference is you have to cast debilitation at or near your personal mana cap. TM does not need this.

Make sense?
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 03:33 AM CST
I'm sorry, but everyone else has to deal with their primaries outstripping their secondaries and tertiaries. It's just the way it works.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 03:38 AM CST
>> I'm sorry, but everyone else has to deal with their primaries outstripping their secondaries and tertiaries. It's just the way it works.

Welcome back!! I also completely agree.

You people are complaining that you were able to get magics to XXX, and even after a 40% exp reduction, you still can't learn from combat? I do not feel for you.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 04:18 AM CST

its not quite that simple....clerics are magic primary...I can lock TM at 628 in about 10 minutes, but in the same place...I can't learn debilitation at all with it at 676. If one works the other should. Debilitation is based on what you "should" be able to hit, TM is based on what you "can" hit...I can hit stuff with debil spells...but I'd be dead in seconds....I can lock TM in stuff that can't touch me in under 10 min...

Targeted Magic: 627 01% clear (0/34)
Debilitation: 678 22% clear (0/34)

why can I lock up one in 10 minutes and not learn any of the other?
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 04:27 AM CST
>> Targeted Magic: 627 01% clear (0/34)
>> Debilitation: 678 22% clear (0/34)

50 ranks could be a huge gap. Are you saying that if you had 678 TM you would learn? Are you capping out your mana for Debil?
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 11:04 AM CST
>why can I lock up one in 10 minutes and not learn any of the other?

What spell are you casting, at what mana level, and against what?
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 12:05 PM CST
As a warmage debilitation seems kind of broken. I'm at ~900 and about a half hour casting capped TCs timed right when 4 juvies get unstunned gets me to around 8/34, anthers goes to 1/34 every other cast at 100 mana. Seems like very little experience for such a taxing cast. Haven't tried IP yet but this seems insanely difficult to learn compared to warding. I also learn virtually nothing from CL but a lot from snapping 5 mana FS every 2 seconds, meanwhile I learn no TM at all from ring of spears which absolutely demolishes everything. Also I noticed some similar problems with utility but haven't gone too far trying to solve that problem yet. Seems like the exp system with magic is a little bit unreliable so far.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 12:21 PM CST
How far critters teach was reduced in 3.0 because it's less dangerous to move up the ladder now. You might want to try going a step up the ladder to adult dillos.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 12:34 PM CST
>> Seems like the exp system with magic is a little bit unreliable so far.

No, you just don't know how it works yet.

If you can cap a "basic or intro" spell at 100 mana, it's probably not going to teach you. You have to move up to the hardest spell you can find, e.g. esoteric or advanced.

Think of personal cap as a sliding scale where ranges overlap.

intro 1 mana ___ 100 mana
..... basic 10 mana ___ 100 mana
..............advanced 30 mana ___ 100 mana
............................ estoteric 50 mana ___ 100 mana
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 06:33 PM CST
Well now I'm rotating 2 advanced one basic at 100 mana, (keep in mind warmages do not have esoteric deblitation) and I'm completely stuck at about 8/34 max. I can move up to adults and try that I guess, the problem obviously isn't weak spells or weak casts. When you compare this to how a cyclic training something is very wrong here.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 06:37 PM CST
>>the problem obviously isn't weak spells or weak casts

You're possibly getting the lion's share of your debil experience from casting at your personal cap, but that's supposed to be an additional amount tacked onto actually having a challenge against the critter.

When I am using debils at-level, I don't really need to cast above minimum to really see debil move.

Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 07:12 PM CST
Debil experience is largely aligned with TM experience in that the main thing is that your target is at-level for your skill. If a creature trains TM/weapons/armor/etc to a certain rank, it should also be teaching debil to that rank. You get a bonus to that experience if you're casting your spell at or near your personal cap, which means that while higher casts ARE better, they're icing on top of the debil experience you get at min man vs a target.

If you're debilitating a target that's far below your ranks, you'll get very little experience. This is one of the motivations behind allowing you to switch your skills around - While debilitation might have landed as a high-order N'th Magic for you, you might not want to be training it in combat and could want a different, non-combat skill to be swapped with it.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/21/2013 11:35 PM CST

>I'm sorry, but everyone else has to deal with their primaries outstripping their secondaries and tertiaries. It's just the way it works.

This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about; my issue isn't that Debilitation isn't training in the critters I'm hunting (it is), it's that spam casting non-cyclic, non-AoE spells trains very poorly.
Re: Aug/Ward and Debil learning 01/22/2013 05:08 PM CST
Yeah adults are working a lot better. I figured since juvies were hitting me now it would be a bad idea to try out new stuff there and I heard critters would be tougher.