They're Wizards Harry 09/17/2011 09:34 PM CDT

This one is definitely a challenge, any ideas on beating this one? Arrows and Gorks against epic wizards?
Re: They're Wizards Harry 09/18/2011 01:27 AM CDT
The secret to this level is to use your Pack Rats as bait for the Epic Wizard's fireballs. Lure the wizard into wasting his shot on a pack rat placed right near or behind him. The rat will die instantly, but the wizard won't be able to use his ability for several seconds afterward. Use that time to take him out before he can launch another fireball.

This strategy can also be applied to almost any level in the game as a more advanced tactic. Any defense (but especially critters and other cheap defenses) can be used as bait in order to spare your more vulnerable clusters of defenses. There are other challenge levels that use a similar mechanic for the Epic Ranger's piercing shot.

Hope that helps!

-- Tiny Heroes Designer
Re: They're Wizards Harry 09/19/2011 08:40 AM CDT
This strategy is somewhat succesful but I find on flee the wizard there are too many epic wizards and their damage is too great. I guess I will wait for a walkthough on this level.
Re: They're Wizards Harry 09/21/2011 10:09 AM CDT
The rat-distraction strategy is basically what I ended up 3-starring the level with. The key seemed to be to do whatever you have to do to make sure they don't blast your later barricades often (and the ballista behind them) and using your bombs to the fullest. It took a number of tries and felt more like luck than skill when I finally managed all three (plenty of 2-stars).

It seems like the trick should somehow involve the top path (and there was a little hint at the loss screen that it was a "good thing nobody ever uses the top..." or something).

One of my first tries, I somehow managed to get a gold carrier to run up the top path instead of the bottom. I killed him up there and that seemed to be it... everyone would wander in, see the treasure room empty and wander off. I screwed up at the very end though by dropping a barricade to seal the end and my rat couldn't bring the treasure back before I killed the rogue. No matter what I tried though, I couldn't reproduce whatever caused the AI to head up there. I tried barricading the lower exit from the treasure room, let both wizards and knights carry the gold, placed ballista or gorks at the various exits, but nothing seemed to work. On rare occasions knights would wander by the exit if completely barricaded or get "chased" away by a ballista, but they always came back to the bottom again.
Re: They're Wizards Harry 09/24/2011 03:48 PM CDT
Has anyone figured the trick to get the goldbearer to take the top path?

I've tried blocking off the return path, but knights bash through it, and wizards fireball it.
I've tried making the return path longer, but it doesn't seem to help.
Re: They're Wizards Harry 09/29/2011 11:04 AM CDT
This one definitely needs a walk-through. I can't believe the clue about the top path isn't actionable...
Re: They're Wizards Harry 10/11/2011 09:05 AM CDT

Just 3-starred this fella. The trick is to use your rats, gorks, ballistae etc to hold off the wizards until the final wave. (I had to call in the thief early). Let the thief grab the treasure, lure him back into the top corridor and take him out (pretty easy, it's a long corridor). Let the wizards wander into the empty treasure room and out, when they're all heading back, chuck a rat at the top corridor and hey presto, 3-stars.

Right, that's 3-stars on everything non-gauntlet. Back to the Long and the Short of it...
Re: They're Wizards Harry 10/11/2011 09:09 AM CDT
If you are already distracting the wizards, a bit of ballista action and they're all dying anyway, and there's no need to hide the treasure :)
Re: They're Wizards Harry 12/05/2011 12:05 AM CST
I still haven't been able to solve this level -- after 92 tries! I have tied the rat strategy -- but that is such a general piece of advice that it's not helping. I can never kill all the wizards and am eventually overrun. Sadly, I've kind of given up on the game -- much like Simutronics has given up on posting walkthrus. :-( I feel bad, because up until this level I really liked how fun and balanced the game was. Oh well...
Re: They're Wizards Harry 02/04/2012 11:26 PM CST
Huzzah! I finally got it! And 3 stars too!

I had given up on ever getting this one, several months ago. Started trying again today.

Key points were taken from the posts above.

1. Keep distracting the wizards. Yes try to take them out, but mostly just distract them from the barricades as much as possible.

2. Send the final wave in as soon as possible.

3. LET the thief get the gold. Once he has the gold, ignore the lower section with all the wizards. Drop a barricade near the front of the upper corridor (or at any rate ahead of the thief), then start attacking the thief with whatever you have at the moment.

4. After the thief is killed, let the rest of the heroes see the empty treasure room and then start leaving. Make sure that they are heading to the door. THEN drop your pack rat on the treasure so that he returns it to the treasure room.

3 stars.