Boulderdash! 09/09/2011 07:06 PM CDT
Gotta say, this one has me flustered. Can't seem to get a solid defense built in time. Suggestions?
Re: Boulderdash! 09/09/2011 08:18 PM CDT
I know this may sound cryptic, but... you don't have time to wait for the Heroes to come to you... You have to come to them. :)

In other words, the trick is to push some of the waves early, so that you can kill multiple Heroes with a single Rock Drop.

-- Tiny Heroes Designer
Re: Boulderdash! 09/09/2011 11:10 PM CDT
As the designer responsible for this level... well, first off, sorry. :P

But second, my best bit of advice that doesn't just repeat the previous post is this: Don't bother defending at the first row of barricades.
Re: Boulderdash! 09/10/2011 12:53 AM CDT
I had a feeling. Had the most success when I did that, except at 3 is refused to send another wave. I'm guessing there is a cap? In any case, I guess some of it will be luck. I'll keep plugging away.

Thanks!
Re: Boulderdash! 09/10/2011 11:08 AM CDT
There's no cap but you can't send a wave without waiting for a tiny bit first. This prevents accidentally sending multiple waves simultaneously. I think its like a second or two delay before it'll accept pushing another wave.

-- David
Re: Boulderdash! 09/13/2011 02:50 PM CDT
I see that happening, but when I get to 3 the counter doesn't count down for awhile. Much different than the other waves.
Re: Boulderdash! 09/13/2011 03:25 PM CDT
The delay isn't measured in a preset number of seconds, it's actually checking to see how long before the next wave comes out. Some waves arrive in mere moments, other times waves take 30, 60, even 90 seconds before they show up. The timer waits for a percentage of that number of seconds before you can push another wave, so obviously that changes on a wave-by-wave basis.

-- Tiny Heroes Designer
Re: Boulderdash! 09/13/2011 06:23 PM CDT
Boulderdash, hmm, I started off by putting rocks right in front of the last row of defenses. I basically let them tear apart my first and second rows of defenses. Basically I kept fortifying up my back defenses so by the time they reached me I had 4 catapults 2 - 1 - 1. And used the rock slide and made more defenses to hold em off.
Re: Boulderdash! 09/16/2011 07:10 PM CDT
I tried what the designer/developer of this stage suggested as well as what you explained and still can't pull this stage off. This stage is holding me back from reaching the 250,000 achievement goal and I am getting TRULY frustrated. Any step-by-step help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Boulderdash! 09/17/2011 02:47 AM CDT

After countless attempts, I finally got 3 stars on this map. Will try to explain best way I can.

LEGEND:

N = New Wall
W = Existing Wall
C = Catapult
X = Empty Space

1. Ignore first and second defense/wall, on the third defense/wall, put a wall in front. Put catapults at the back. Do not waste anytime. Act fast, it helps a lot. Placement of the new wall and catapult depends on your preference.

NWXX
XWXC
XWXX

2. Once the first defense/wall is destroyed, I actually push some waves to around 7. I then wait for them to almost destroy the 2nd defense/wall and launch the ball on top of them to wipe them out. There should be just a few heroes left.

3. By the time the heroes managed to destroy the 2nd defense/wall your defense should be something like:

NWXC
NWXC
NWXC

4. Here's the tricky part. I would have to say that it involves luck (AI of the heroes). I find myself just in the nick of time placing a wall a fraction of a second before they actually get near the existing wall. The goal is to have something like this, and keep up with it, replacing destroyed wall, and having 2 catapults per row.

NWCC
NWCC
NWCC

5. Hold that position best way you can. I think I actually launched the ball a total of 3 times if I'm not mistaken. 1 for defending second defense/wall. 2. For killing first epic knight. 3. For damaging last two epic knights and epic thief. I also placed a Catapult on the left side with direction pointing to right. This is when the hero has chosen a wall to break. That makes 3 catapults hitting the said hero. I finished the game with the epic knight actually destroying one wall.

Good luck guys, hope I was clear enough. Remember, I honestly believe it involves luck (AI of heroes) so a few attempts might be required before actually pulling it off.
Re: Boulderdash! 09/17/2011 04:25 AM CDT
Excellent, excellent advice. :)

-- Tiny Heroes Designer
Re: Boulderdash! 09/17/2011 08:49 AM CDT
I have to say this is not a fun level.

You have three fixed traps, all of which have very slow recharge times. So you get to sit around and watch your stuff get destroyed a lot. On top of that, the fastest recharge, the catapult, is directional, so once your defenses fall they are pretty much useless.

So basically, rather than doing anything you are just sitting around watching your dungeon fail. Not fun.
Re: Boulderdash! 09/19/2011 12:28 PM CDT
Could not agree more - Boulderdash and Rat Race are horrible because of the frustration level trying endless times to beat them. If you are getting high scores with 3 stars on regular and other challenge stages then you should expect same results in these two stages are at least one star!

Gameplay is unbalanced. A challenge is great but these two stages have brought me close to just deleting this game!

Provide a video for both or make this less challenging via an update PLEASE!
Re: Boulderdash! 09/19/2011 12:50 PM CDT
"If you are getting high scores with 3 stars on regular and other challenge stages then you should expect same results in these two stages are at least one star!"

Not so. Challenge levels fall outside the normal spectrum of difficulty, and are pretty much all over the map. Some are even pretty easy. We even warn you about it when you first hit those challenge levels in the course of playing through a campaign.

We stand by these levels as examples of challenging gameplay that just can't be replicated in a normal level, and it's why we made them optional. So think, we could've made it so you have to beat the challenge levels to unlock the next campaign. :P
Re: Boulderdash! 09/19/2011 03:56 PM CDT
Yes, but I have gotten three stars on all the other "challenge" stages and there are two: Rat Race and Boulderdash which are BEYOND challenging. Based on other comments in other forums I am not the only one with this opinion.

Yes...you can move on to a new campaign but I have to pass either Rat Race or Boulderdash to get the 250,000 point mark and receive the new defense achievement awarded.
Re: Boulderdash! 09/19/2011 05:00 PM CDT

Oh, you wouldn't last a day on my device if that was the case. That's one of the reasons I stop playing Angry Birds and all the games of that ilk. I don't mind hard stuff, that's why you come back to the game after its all over, but to mandate it'll be complete before you can proceed... The funhouse campaign was all hard stuff (strangely more easy as you go play the latter levels) but at least you gave fair warning on those.
Re: Boulderdash! 09/20/2011 12:21 AM CDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2LYtUij4Eo

David and I just uploaded a walk through for Boulderdash! It will also be on our website tomorrow morning. Enjoy!

-- Tiny Heroes Designer
Re: Boulderdash! 09/20/2011 04:19 AM CDT
Nice to know my strategy is ALMOST the same as yours. Good job on the walk through!
Re: Boulderdash! 02/03/2012 01:00 AM CST

I hate this level
I did every thing i can do to pass it and i failed
I even watched the walkthrough on u tube and i did every thing step by step more than 10 times still i managed to get one star only
How can i get 3 stars?
Im this close to get a nervous break down , plz help :'(
Re: Boulderdash! 02/03/2012 07:59 AM CST
I also cannot get 3 stars on this level, despite watching the walkthrough. Can someone who has done it in the past try again? I think one of the updates since the walkthrough was created essentially made it near impossible to get 3 stars. Maybe the catapault reload time was slightly increased or the damage decreased? Or the hp of the rocks were decreased? Essentially it seems like 2 catapaults and two rocks is not enough to stop an epic knight, which it does in the video.
Re: Boulderdash! 02/03/2012 02:53 PM CST
The only 'nerf' our defenses have seen was the Slime, and that was actually more of a bug fix than anything else. All other balance tweaks have been in the player's favor.

In terms of level rebalance, no challenge levels were affected.

-- Tiny Heroes Designer