Mimics 08/31/2011 04:28 PM CDT
What's everyone's thoughts on the mimic? Do you love it, or do you avoid it?
Re: Mimics 09/07/2011 10:52 PM CDT
I hate when treasure chests eat me, honestly. Sitting there, all looking like they are going to give up their gold... and then CHOMP! I'm eaten.

-- David
Re: Mimics 09/08/2011 11:50 AM CDT
I am having trouble using them outside of the one-off eat the epic knight for 75 crystals. They tend to die too easily, and for that much I could have put up some spikes and a ballista which are going to likely do more damage over time before they are disabled.

On a larger map where heroes are more likely to get spread out I could see them making sense. Mimics also animate munching after eating a hero, and I've not finished testing how long they take to recover. Several times they've still been munching, and been able to eat someone - other times they just die.
Re: Mimics 09/08/2011 04:19 PM CDT
Your mileage may vary, but I find that they make an excellent backup for when that one irritating hero breaks through your line.
Re: Mimics 09/08/2011 04:32 PM CDT
It really depends on the level for me. I think they're a fantastic choice (and one of the best DPS/Mana cost, if you want to get technical) on levels like 'Catapult Yourself' and 'Slime and Punishment'. They have an especially useful bonus mechanic in that they attract thieves. Luring an epic thief away from your hall of freshly laid floor spikes is a rather cunning and strategic usage of the beloved Mimic.

-- Tiny Heroes Designer
Re: Mimics 09/08/2011 09:30 PM CDT
I can echo the feeling that the die a bit too fast but once you get a feel for them and how they work, they are very effective. The best use for them that I found was hiding them around a corner. Straight on, they work but they don't feel nearly as effective to me as when I've got one tucked back in a corner along a main path that the Heroes are taking.
Re: Mimics 09/09/2011 05:39 AM CDT
Mimics are vulnerable precisely because they take no prisoners. An epic wizard can come along and... CHOMP! When you consider the power some of the heros represent on an individual basis (never mind in hordes) you can see why anything that takes them out instantly is unnervingly great!

To balance that out, they are also pretty vulnerable.

A mimic is sort of a creature, but it doesn't wander. This is key, because that lets you really think about where he needs to be and how best to employ his talents. A mimic usually makes a poor front-line defense as he has no defenses while chewing away on his latest victim. So make sure he's positioned to snatch the epics as they bust through. Even if he goes down, that will buy you time to repair the breach and that can mean everything.

-- David
Re: Mimics 09/10/2011 03:50 PM CDT

Too pricey and too vulnerable, too long to recharge after the chomp. If it was cheaper I would find a slot for it. Maybe I can try it with some ballista to protect it.

If I had another few slots and mana to play with I would use it.

One Perforator is much more useful, cheaper and more persistent.

I like the thief distraction idea. Have to try that one too.

Thanks.
Re: Mimics 09/16/2011 01:55 PM CDT
These are very powerful when placed properly. They should never be in the open, I like to use them just on the far side of a corner, so that as soon as the hero pops around the corner they are toast, and then being mutually supported by a lot of other weapons such as spikes and ballista or some other defense.
Re: Mimics 09/26/2011 01:01 PM CDT
Initially I didn't use them much, but if you get the Mana Crab a lot of harder to afford defenses suddenly become very practical choices. Nothing else takes out an Epic instantly like the Mimic does and it may save the "lives" of other traps those heroes would have destroyed or disarmed. Yeah, in a sense all traps do that, but for me my backfield is often more tender or harder to replace than my frontline defenses. Losing several mana crystals for instance can easily set you back far more than the 25 mana apiece to replace them.
Re: Mimics 09/27/2011 03:23 AM CDT

I like to use Mimics like I use Springs - at the back, behind my lines. If someone gets through, NOMNOMNOM.
Re: Mimics 01/29/2012 10:19 PM CST

What I found is that thieves are actually attracted to mimics. Plus, they finish off any hero with a single blow. They do take long to chew, and that is a huge opening for other heroes to try and rescue their dead colleges. So the defense for a single mimic would be at least a total of 60 mana. So it blows against faster heroes.